Why become a member? ×

Would a BadAss fit a stingray?

I'm not planning on mutilating a beautiful musicman, but rather planning a bit of a project i may be having a bash at with a SUB bass body and i was wondering if a BadAss would fit as a musicman bridge is going to be a bit of a ballache to find. I was thinking the BadAss III might fit as it has 3 mounting holes, does anybody have any experience? If not does anybody know of any other good bridges that might fit?

I once saw a photo of flea playing a musicman with a badass bridge a while ago, i suppose he couldnt get an EBMM one either :) if you need a bridge and it fits i,d say go for it, they are fantastic bridges, although the musicman ones are nice and sturdy too.
i look forward to hearing about the results. -lee

Try to check the relative heights (from body to top of saddle) of both. Provided you can adjust the Badass within the same range as the original bridge it should fit ok. I don't think the screwholes will line up, though.

It's an option, though.

[quote name='BOD2' post='242220' date='Jul 17 2008, 10:16 PM']Try to check the relative heights (from body to top of saddle) of both. Provided you can adjust the Badass within the same range as the original bridge it should fit ok. I don't think the screwholes will line up, though.

It's an option, though.[/quote]

as an aside...i'd like to know what the string-body clearance for a badass would be !!

your main point of concern should probably be to check if there are any brass bridge bolt anchor ferrules inserted in the body and check whether any of the screw holes in the badass are likely to line up with them. Digging those suckers out will be a very difficult job.

Hmm yeah i was wondering about one of them hamster, but i don't like how it's longer than an MM bridge, it doesn't have sring mutes so it seems a little pointless, though i could always chop it down and tidy it up a bit maybe.

EDIT: i could always buy one of those bridges you showed me there hamster and one of the newer 4 string OLPs that come with the more authentic bridges like this [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OLP-BASS-BASED-ON-STINGRAY-4-STRING-LICENCED-COPY_W0QQitemZ150267317046QQihZ005QQcategoryZ4713QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247"]one[/url] and swap the bridges over and sell the OLP on, of course the danger of that is falling in love with the OLP and losing some money... It is quite pretty :)

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='242362' date='Jul 18 2008, 08:26 AM']your main point of concern should probably be to check if there are any brass bridge bolt anchor ferrules inserted in the body and check whether any of the screw holes in the badass are likely to line up with them. Digging those suckers out will be a very difficult job.[/quote]

These are the big cylindrical boys either side of the saddles, right?
I'd never realised that there were ferrules beneath them, though in retrospect, it makes sense as they have Allen heads, and these are seldom seen on self-tapping woodscrew threads.

Looking at the OLP pic that Hamster posted, you MIGHT be able to get the middle 3 screw holes of a BadAss II to align with those on the body, then mark and drill the outer pair.
I don't think that the BadAss mounting screws would clash with any ferrules, but I would query whether or not the backplate would cover any holes the bolt anchors might leave.

As for the aesthetic angle, everyone's going to have a different opinion!

Personally, I prefer Leo's later effort with the locking saddle G&L unit. Locked saddles=less energy diverted away from the string in making things rattle about! BadAsses aren't very pretty, but they do perform their function well.

I Reckon I'd quite like a Ray4 with a replacement pickup, a 2-band EQ and a Status Graphite Neck (with an Ebony fretboard, Kiwi!!) and A BadAss III strung through-body. The only other modification I'd embrace would be a Series/Parallel switch...

Uh-oh.
Food for [s]thought[/s] GAS!

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BassKS

Hey there,

Someone mentioned Flea having a Badass on his bass. Yes but dont forget that he hasnt played a MusicMan for a long time since hes been endorsed by Modulus. If it Has three holes go for badass III for the main reason: It will improve your intonation and sustain much better than the original Musicman bridge. think of it this way: badass saddle creates a 90° angle with the string which means the string will create a point contact with the saddle. you will not dampen frequencies (overtones) during vibration so the sound Envelope will be one with a very small decay. Badass will also cost less than the MM stringray bridge and
the badass III has a hefty bit of metal at the back adding sustain to and resonance to the whole thing. Fender 2008 basses have this "newly improved High mass Bridge" and they almost certainly have nicked it of BaddAss III.

If it goes belly up and the holes dont fit, drill new ones and fill these up with ea wood filler. JAcos bass was infested with holes and sounded like nothing at the time.

If you want to do it and know how to, go for it.

Now do you have any Dimarzio precision pickups? :-)