Why become a member? ×

'State-us' or 'St-aah-tus'

Roland Rock

I played a Wal bass for years, and then I realized it was really a" Wol". The Wol actually sounded a bit better, too.

Status can only be correctly pronounced one way - we all know which way that is- but the wider question of American English and the pronunciation of words like Rickenbacker is a lot more complex an issue. I'm sorry to say that , in many cases, Americans are actually pronouncing the words more accurately according to their origins than us Brits.

Americans might speak a form of English, but their diction and , more importantly, their pronunciation owes a great deal to the Western Germanic languages, like Dutch, Low Flemish and modern German, as well as the residual influence of the native tongues of various other immigrant communities. . As a result of that, there is less of a tendency to anglicize the pronunciation of certain words

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1399831832' post='2448138']
It was bad enough when I didn't know how to pronounce Hartke or Ibanez. But I always thought I was on safe ground with Status.
Now you're telling me there's more than one way to pronounce that! Curses! :D
[/quote]

Over the years.I have heard some pretty funny interpretations of how to pronounce Ibanez and Hartke. ( Iy-ban-ez) ( Hart-kee)

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1399836151' post='2448206']
I wonder if they intentionally went for a name that wasn't Germanic sounding to appeal to international markets?
[/quote]

Yes - one wonders if they would have been as successful had they been called 'Schicklgruber'. :mellow:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1399836332' post='2448210']
Yes - one wonders if they would have been as successful had they been called 'Schicklgruber'. :mellow:
[/quote]

Well, they were formed from what was left of Framus when they went bust IIRC, so there may have been an element of that thinking.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1399836151' post='2448206']
I wonder if they intentionally went for a name that wasn't Germanic sounding to appeal to international markets?
[/quote]

Good point ! I can't think of a more English sounding brand name than "Warwick".

Just a thought, but looking at how successful Warwick have been with that strategy, maybe if the Nazis had called themselves " The Windsors" things might have turned out very differently for them ?

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1399837542' post='2448226']
Just a thought, but looking at how successful Warwick have been with that strategy, maybe if the Nazis had called themselves " The Windsors" things might have turned out very differently for them ?
[/quote]

The Nazis [i]did [/i]call themselves 'The Windsors' - they're the royal family now. :P

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1399836332' post='2448210']
[/quote]

Maybe now that they are an established brand, Warwick could introduce a model called the Schicklgruber. Sounds like it would be good for metal.

The irony is that Warwick ought to play on their German heritage more, instead of trying to hide it. If I was manufacturing basses in Germany I would make sure that there was at least some kind of reference to a Panzer tank in my advertising. The word "blitzkrieg" would also feature somewhere. It is quite simply too good an opportunity to miss.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1399837743' post='2448230']
The Nazis [i]did [/i]call themselves 'The Windsors' - they're the royal family now. :P
[/quote]

I knew you pick up on that! :D

Let's be clear though, whatever you might think about some of Prince Phillip's views, the Germans in Buckingham Palace were never actually Nazis, although Prince Harry did have a stint in the Africa Corps a while back , if I remember correctly.

^Arr! Me too moi luvver.

Come to think of it, if Rob Green reluctantly changed the name as little as possible from the original 'Strata' having been threatened with toenail-removal, pliers-wise, by the ever-charming and relaxed Fender company, allegedly, then it's possible it was, originally, pronounced 'Stah-tus'.

Which would make the Americans right, and me cross.

Edited by KK Jale

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1399835021' post='2448189']As a result of that, there is less of a tendency to anglicize the pronunciation of certain words
[/quote]

At the risk of sounding jingoistic, there is somehow something perverse about the concept of anglicising the English language!! A contradiction in terms perhaps?

In the case of the word status which is in general use for a different meaning other than the name of a bass guitar it's generally pronounced state us in GB - now there are regional differences - for instance where I grew up in England it would be pronounced sty tuus with a certain tuneful inflection. Regional pronunciation (even in This country) has variation - worldwide there are vast differences in pronunciation.

No doubt stah tus and various other pronunciations are in use elsewhere in the world or Somerset, Essex etc.

Edited by drTStingray

In the UK, it's "stay-tus". In the US, "it's "stattus" (or even "staddus" with the accent), and in Australia it's "stah-tus". It seems to follow how they pronounce "data" (day-ta/datta/dah-ta).