Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Set List Order

allighatt0r

Chaps (and chapettes), I could use a bit of set list advice, specifically, opinions on what order to put our set list in.

This is our set list in the order that we've been doing it (which the singer has chosen). I'm not saying it's wrong, but just feel that we could be getting more out of the songs. What do you think? Could also use some set list order tops tips if you have them.

Set 1 –
1. Learn to Fly
2. Beautiful Day
3. Run to You
3. Clocks
4. It’s my Life
5. How you remind me
6. Alright Now
7. Mississippi Queen
8. Hole Hearted
10.Roxanne
11.Wild Night
12.Pump it up
13. Should I stay or should I go
14.Hash Pipe
15.One Vision
16. Fall to Pieces
17. You shook me all night long

Set 2 -
1. Helter Skelter
2. White Room
3. Gimme Shelter
4. Rock ‘n’ Roll
5. Superstition - Beck, Boggert and Appice
6. Burning down the house
7. The boys are back in town
8. Wanted Dead or Alive
9. White Trash Millionaire
10.Cochise
11. Hammer to Fall
12.Plug in Baby
13.The Pretender
14. Dakota
15. Highway to Hell
16. Sex on Fire
17. Sweet child O mine

Edited by allighatt0r

Think about a piece of music to come onto the stage with.

Use dramatic numbers to open show and 2nd set to grab the audience.

Take your listeners on a musical journey.
Maybe even make a note of the speed of numbers and gradually
build up the pace as the set progresses; have a quieter spot somewhere.

Where will you peak? Ideally towards the end of the second set: the ultimate
or penultime number (or even earlier), and then a return for encore/s.

Also experience will tell you over time what works and what doesn't.

Venues will vary, just as audiences... be prepared to chop and change as necessary.

Like footballers, review at halftime and be prepared to bring on subs (ie changing tunes).

Build rapport with the audience, but don't overdo the chat between numbers.

Cheers, Paul.

My only real comments are don`t end with a ballad (Sweet Child), put that about 5 songs from the end, but end with a real stormer such as Rock n Roll, and keep You Shook Me and Sex on Fire back as encores. If you get called for more it`s best to be able to step up a gear, with a well known singalongy/jumpabouty, rather than throw something not as favoured in as a last resort.

Now I love a very wide cross section of music so I'll never criticise variety, however, you do seem to have a lot of big strong songs from very different eras/genres, and to me they are not sitting easily with one another - Pump it Up and Alright Now for one example - Burning Down The House, Boys Are Back in Town, Wanted Dead or Alive as another. Now I like four out of five of those, but put it this way, I'd never dream of putting them together on a mix tape.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1399032560' post='2440205']
My only real comments are don`t end with a ballad (Sweet Child), put that about 5 songs from the end, but end with a real stormer such as Rock n Roll, and keep You Shook Me and Sex on Fire back as encores. If you get called for more it`s best to be able to step up a gear, with a well known singalongy/jumpabouty, rather than throw something not as favoured in as a last resort.
[/quote]

This, + Boys are back in town lends itself to an opener, not just due to the title but it's a real punch in the face second set opener.

[quote name='allighatt0r' timestamp='1399031876' post='2440194']

Set 1 –
1. Learn to Fly
2. Beautiful Day
3. Run to You
3. Clocks
4. It’s my Life
5. How you remind me
6. Alright Now
7. Mississippi Queen
8. Hole Hearted
10.Roxanne
11.Wild Night
12.Pump it up
13. Should I stay or should I go
14.Hash Pipe
15.One Vision
16. Fall to Pieces
17. You shook me all night long

Set 2 -
1. Helter Skelter
2. White Room
3. Gimme Shelter
4. Rock ‘n’ Roll
5. Superstition - Beck, Boggert and Appice
6. Burning down the house
7. The boys are back in town
8. Wanted Dead or Alive
9. White Trash Millionaire
10.Cochise
11. Hammer to Fall
12.Plug in Baby
13.The Pretender
14. Dakota
15. Highway to Hell
16. Sex on Fire
17. Sweet child O mine
[/quote]

Can I be in your band?

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1399034652' post='2440261']
Can I be in your band?
[/quote]

:lol: Yes. We have open positions for scantily clad maraca shaking backing singers, if you're interested?

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1399032652' post='2440208']
Now I love a very wide cross section of music so I'll never criticise variety, however, you do seem to have a lot of big strong songs from very different eras/genres, and to me they are not sitting easily with one another - Pump it Up and Alright Now for one example - Burning Down The House, Boys Are Back in Town, Wanted Dead or Alive as another. Now I like four out of five of those, but put it this way, I'd never dream of putting them together on a mix tape.
[/quote]

Agreed, we're a very new as a band (four gigs under out belt so far, each of us with lots of experience in other bands though) so are a bit of a hodge-podge of ideas as far as song selection goes.

Edited by allighatt0r

We often encore with 'One' or 'Fake Platic trees' as they are strong songs... but we would also cap it with a
(hopefully ) barnstormer like 'Fooled' or Sympathy...
But we also decide whether the gig is going to be 1 or 2 sets, and we start strong, go quiet for a few middle
numbers and then ramp it up at the end. We have to pace it like this as the energy levels just couldn't be there
from song 1. The other idea is to start as strong as a lot of bands finish on, but again, pace is the key or you just wont
last the hour, and neither will the audience...

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1399042550' post='2440393']
We have to pace it like this as the energy levels just couldn't be there
from song 1. The other idea is to start as strong as a lot of bands finish on, but again, pace is the key or you just wont
last the hour, and neither will the audience...
[/quote]

This is my bands problem, all they want to play is fast stuff all the time!

I always worry it turns into a big noise eventually.

I'd leave Alright Now till well into the second set. If for no better reason there are people who have heard it so often from so many bands they will actually walk out once they hear it being started up, I've seen it happen.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1399044370' post='2440422']
I'd leave Alright Now till well into the second set. If for no better reason there are people who have heard it so often from so many bands they will actually walk out once they hear it being started up, I've seen it happen.
[/quote]

Playing Alright Now at a wedding is sure fire way to get people on the dancefloor.

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1399044251' post='2440420']
This is my bands problem, all they want to play is fast stuff all the time!

I always worry it turns into a big noise eventually.
[/quote]

Plus it is quite draining on both band and audience.

But the reason bands stay away from slow numbers is because it is so much harder to make them work.. IMO.

I'd agree with what said about genre's. We cover songs from 60's to present day, what we do is try and get 3 or 4 of a certain genre and put them together. We don't go chronologically or anything, but we have a few Ska tunes, a few Britpop tunes etc.

The reason for this is the dancefloor. Sure there are stable floor fillers. But we have found for example, the opening sax honks to Night Boat to Cairo gets all the men up on the floor. Break in to Blondie straight after that and they will leave. Keep them up for 3 songs and they are likely to stay for Atomic because they've got into it now...

We have our set divided in chunks like this, and often switch things around a bit on the night. Reading the crowd means we don't suddenly find everyone vanishes to the back of the room.

Of course it's not always about filling the dancefloor. But we have found it gets us booked back alot, probably because dancing people get thirsty :)

Edited by brensabre79

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1399045182' post='2440439'] I would put should I stay or should i go in second set. We play it late on and it goes down well for the dancers [/quote]

Yup, we don't do it often (another that's been done to death, we have enough of those in the set as it is!) but when we do it's very late, often as an extra encore.

Ask 500 people to put your songs in order and you'll get 500 different lists. Just worry about your set openers and last 4 in each set and you'll be golden. Nice songs btw........except the Coldplay - snore!