Why become a member? ×

Band Name Ideas - here we go again...

redbandit599

Hi all

Not seen one of these threads for a while and they are usually fun so...

After a couple of personnel changes it's finally looking good for getting my 'main' band going again after a very long period of stagnation.

It'll be a hard rock/classic metal covers band (yes, I know, move on if it's not your thing ;) ) three of us are mid 40's, new guitarist I'd say mid 30's and a new girl singer, later 20's early 30's ish. The new singer gives us a different spin as she has a very good soprano/alto voice, classically trained and really cuts through the mix.

Makes some of our 'classic' stuff sound a bit fresher but we'll be adding in some more contemporary stuff and versions of 'oddball' material for fun.

Pub rock, no time or ambition to write stuff, just get out of the house and shake a few windows and have a laugh.

OK, any name ideas welcome, I've got a few already that I'm not posting in case someone knicks them!! Feel free to suggest any cool, suitable tunes too!

Cheers

J

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]We went through this process well over a year ago now - and what a massive pain in the arse it was.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I hereby gift to you - [i]free, gratis[/i] and [i]for nothing[/i] - all the suggestions I came up with that we [/font][/color][i]didn't [/i][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]use:[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Little Bells[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]Magic Eye[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]Squibs[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]The Dead Fifties[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]Sugarshack[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]Susan[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]The Distant Floor[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]Bob[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]Bloody Moth[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]Das Boot[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]Tinywild[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]Blankie[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]Shillings[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]Jesus of Croydon[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]Whiteroom[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]Otterhaus[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]Blame It On Leslie[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]Bigbird[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]Reptile Fire[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]BABYFOOT[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]SEAWEED[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]LORD AWESOME[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]PUFFINS[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]SUPER BIG HAIR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]MICHELE[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]BLOOD CAPS[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]SURGE[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]COCKSPIN[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]RACCOONS[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]SHIITAKE[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]RAN RAN RU[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]MISTER NATURAL[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]FAILTOWN[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]BABBY[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]PAMELA[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]BLINDER[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]MOTHER MARGARET[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]CHUCK STONE[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]TOWN-HO[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]TENDER FLOWER[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]OBERLANDER[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]BOO-GHOST[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]LOVE BEAD[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]ERIK ERIKSON[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]SOUNDER[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]BLACK ZOMBIE[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]HEAVENWILD[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]SOURBLOOD[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]CLEVELAND STEAMERS[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]DICEMAN[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]CARRIER[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]PEGGY WANG[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]SEA-HAG[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]FAIRY GOBLIN[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]BOSTON PANCAKES[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]HAMHEADS[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]HOTEP[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]FOB[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]GUY GREY[/size][/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color]

Edited by discreet

[quote]CLEVELAND STEAMERS[/quote]

I hail from Cleveland before it was disbanded by some local government muppet. A Cleveland Steamer was the colloquial term for one being caught short and leaving a log on the pavement, be it human or dog, and when fresh and on a nippy spring eve it would steam, giving the deed its nickname.

The lesson is of course be very very careful what name you chose, and I would perhaps suggest you consult the worlds only reference for such, this tome being the "[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger's_Profanisaurus"]Profanisaurus[/url]" A few moment perusing this can save you a whole heap of embarrassment when playing a gig in the North-East, or where people hailing from such salubrious upbringings may be in attendance.

Cheers,
Rich

[quote name='Diablo' timestamp='1398637541' post='2436166']
I hail from Cleveland before it was disbanded by some local government muppet. A Cleveland Steamer was the colloquial term for one being caught short and leaving a log on the pavement, be it human or dog, and when fresh and on a nippy spring eve it would steam, giving the deed its nickname.
[/quote]

I haven't heard that usage before - I was under the impression it referred to a fairly disgusting sex act. :blink:
In any case we didn't use the name as we knew we wouldn't get away with pretending innocence about it.
Same with Boston Pancakes.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='redbandit599' timestamp='1398629239' post='2436030']
I was just thinking The Sparrow Hawks.. (have to split it to get the proper effect.)

White Stillettos is good, but something of an urban myth. Besides, I always found Suffolk girls more accomodating ;-)

Keep 'em coming.
[/quote]

We've gone for a bird-related name (The Golden Orioles) on account of the guitarist / singist being a keen bird-watcher, and the bird in question being a rather tuneful little b*gger - sadly this isn't really representative of our garagey-pop-rock thrashings, though we've only had a couple of rehearsals so far so hopefully may do the name justice yet.

On the other hand, my spoonerising Other Half has already tagged us "The Olden Glory Holes", which to be fair is probably nearer the mark... :blush:

Not suitable for us, but another bird name I always fancied for an Indy sort is The Pretty, Pretty Starlings.

[quote name='tony_m' timestamp='1398682944' post='2436439']
We've gone for a bird-related name (The Golden Orioles) on account of the guitarist / singist being a keen bird-watcher, and the bird in question being a rather tuneful little b*gger - sadly this isn't really representative of our garagey-pop-rock thrashings, though we've only had a couple of rehearsals so far so hopefully may do the name justice yet.

On the other hand, my spoonerising Other Half has already tagged us "The Olden Glory Holes", which to be fair is probably nearer the mark... :blush:
[/quote]

Orioles made with think of Leyton Orient so Latent Orioles

or West Bromwich Orient, which could be West Bum-Itch (insert something else more appropriate beginning with B ;) ) Orioles.

I quite like Little Sister.

"Mother Margaret!" That's very funny in that context.

Couple I have that don't really fit are :-

Uncle Woodbine - after a mates uncle who went out for a packet of fags and never came home

Mike's Green Cortina - the coolest car any of my mates had in our youth. It even had extra windscreen washers on the front to squirt pedestrians..

EDIT: Just realised it's West Bromwich Albion - but hey, I know nothing about football!!!

Edited by redbandit599

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1398630772' post='2436050']
The Broadmoor Sirens.
[/quote]

This is good too, where were all these great names when I first started a band 20 odd years ago? We ended up being called Dumper after a drunken, laughter session in the pub, when one of the guitarists said he though the dumper trucks on his building site were funny... We were stuck with that for years :dash1:

Edited by redbandit599