Why become a member? ×

Entwistle bass pickups

cachao

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1414618561' post='2591546']
Other than the neo's having a higher output does anyone know much else about the differences?
[/quote]

MUCH higher output!

I'd imagine more midrange clarity judging by the character of neo cabs. I'd be interested to know how good the standard ones are!

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1414941069' post='2594865']
I've just ordered a pair of JBXN jazz bass pickups for my Squire VM jazz. I'll post sound clips of before and after to go alongside the soundclips of my stock electronics vs. KiOgon electronics. :)
[/quote]

Great! That sounds like an interesting comparison :)

I "de-actived" my Fender Cowpoke, scored a wiring kit from Kiogon and plumbed in a pickup selecter switch. That combination with a PJ PBXN set has given my old Mexi-Fender the tones I've been after for years. I cannot believe how good they are. "Classic" tones for pocket money prices.

I ordered a set of PBX and a set of PBXN pups I did not like the standard PBX set they were not horrible I just did not like them and I sent the PBXN set back as they were to big to go in my bass routes I know this is easy to sort out but I didn't want to do that and they are pretty "deep" to and would not have sat low enough in my thin bodied bass which is a shame as I would of liked to try them out

They arrived! And they're in my bass! And I have sound samples!

[url="https://soundcloud.com/mornats/pickups-comparison"]https://soundcloud.c...kups-comparison[/url]

Also, I did a whole thread on all the changes I made here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/249109-my-modified-vintage-modified-squire-jazz/"]http://basschat.co.u...ed-squire-jazz/[/url]

They are indeed deeper than a standard pickup as you say TB. See pic below. The foam on top of the Entwistle (the one on the left) is from the stock pickups. Quite handy as it has springs in the middle of it.

I won't reiterate what I said about the pickup sound other than they sound great. See the thread above for more on that :)

They're beefy, so much louder than the stock ones.

[attachment=176135:pickupheight.jpg]

• 4 weeks later...

Ive just fitted a PBXN and JBXN P/J to a Frank Bello Squier Jazz and the difference between these and the stock pickups is like night and day, its got more punch, more clarity and a more even volume spread between bass and treble strings, got to be the best £ per punch pickup on the market.

• 2 weeks later...

The pickups are a bit high in my Squier jazz. They're pretty much sat all the way down and they're only just slightly too high for my liking. If I dig in really hard on the E string the magnetic field will catch the string and it'll plonk right onto the pickup. That's only if I whack it though so I think it'll be ok.

It is a shame the pups are so huge but as most of my basses don't have chunky body's the entwhistles could be good but I really do not like modding my bass to fit them as if I wanted to change the pup again the entwhistles would leave a big space around the pup route is OK if it is just a pickguard as that is easy to change

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

[quote name='ribbetingfrog' timestamp='1459383596' post='3016112']
Just bought a pbxn to pop in a Squier Affinity I've got knocking around.
The stock pups are flat, characterless and have no punch.
Will put my two pence worth in when they are fitted.

If I like it then it'll be the tuners next, they're crap too!
[/quote]

be prepared for a huge jump in output! Those things are loud!

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1459417654' post='3016278']

be prepared for a huge jump in output! Those things are loud!
[/quote]

By Jingo you were right!

Great service from pickups plus eBay store, ordered Tuesday night, arrived Thursday afternoon.
Just in time to pop them in and head to band practice.

They push my amp into overdrive far more than even my active Warwick does!

As someone mentioned previously, not quite the classic p bass tone but a nice growl tone.

Seemed a little muddy till I adjusted the height then they sang.

All my basslines were a good chunk higher gain tonight.

Scratchplate needed a bit of filing but no probs with the depth of the routing in my Squier, plenty of room.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1461099043' post='3031543']
Has anyone got the dimensions of these pups.
[/quote]

not right here, but can measure them at home. They're a bit taller than most others. With regards to the covers, they're easily replaced: the original had ears that were too big for the routing in my bass (Mike Dirnt, clean wood routing) so I just changed the covers for teh small-ear version.