cachao

Entwistle bass pickups

Can anybody comment on the difference in sound between the ceramic and Neo versions of each of these pickups? Really interested to try these in my current Jazz bass build as I am already trying out a set of Dimarzio Ultra Jazz and a set of SD Quarter Pounders once it is finished

I can't compare the two, but the Neo versions have definitely got a much higher output!

Compared to the SD quarter pounders, they are again higher output and with more midrange clarity. Very good pickups indeed!

Thanks for that chrismuzz! Considering the price, I may just get a set of each for a 'shootout' and see what sticks in this bass :) Very interested in the P style pickups as well as my next build is a PJ. Do Enwhistle ever do MM style pickups?

Got neos in my Tanglewater, ceramics in my old Merica. Definitely louder in the former. Difficult to compare sounds, as these are totally different basses.

So very kind of you to sell me that pup Paul, its a monster! Ive replaced a Duncan SPB2 with it and its louder, crisper and to me anyway it seems to have an equal volume spread between all the strings and that was with just screwing it into the bass! Cracking bit of kit for the money, think i might get a pair for a jazz bass next :D

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1404919572' post='2497003']
So very kind of you to sell me that pup Paul, its a monster! Ive replaced a Duncan SPB2 with it and its louder, crisper and to me anyway it seems to have an equal volume spread between all the strings and that was with just screwing it into the bass! Cracking bit of kit for the money, think i might get a pair for a jazz bass next :D
[/quote] I am so glad you liked it Jeff :) I was really looking forward to trying it out myself but it wasn't to be :( but at least it has gone to a good home :)

Glad these pick ups are taking off. I put some in a friends strat guitar several years ago and we were both blown away by the output and 'meaty' sounds. Just a few years ago i bought some J pick ups to put in a VM Squire, cheap eBay price, and again totally amazed.

I'm currently thinking about a fretless project soon so may have to revisit Entwhistle again -thanks for reminding me of these folks, those neo's sound interesting too :)

[quote name='Raslee' timestamp='1405116341' post='2499053']
those neo's sound interesting too :)
[/quote]

You're damn right!!

[quote name='scottas' timestamp='1405973682' post='2507166']
They seem to be too good to be true. Does the P sound like a Precision?
[/quote]

Bertbass's Entwistle P pup sounds very much like a Precision to me. But it was fitted to a Precision, which may have had something to do with it. ;) [size=4]But yes, it does. He has an Entwistle P/J config in a P and it sounds immense.[/size]

[quote name='scottas' timestamp='1405974714' post='2507188']
Thanks! Might just try these in my Squier based P/J bitsa.
[/quote]

I don't think you'll be disappointed if Bert's bass is anything to go by. He knows his onions.
And quite a bit about bass playing, too. ;)

They're great! My main bass has a SD quarter pounder in it which *was* my best sounding bass... Since putting the neo entwistles in one of my backups, I used it at a gig on Saturday and to my ears it now sounds like sh*t!

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1405987022' post='2507338']
...Since putting the neo entwistles in one of my backups, I used it at a gig on Saturday and to my ears it now sounds like sh*t!
[/quote]

Er... that's good, right? :blink:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1405989000' post='2507344']
Er... that's good, right? :blink:
[/quote]

I meant my main bass with quarter pounders sounded crap in comparison :lol:

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1406028275' post='2507584']
I meant my main bass with quarter pounders sounded crap in comparison :lol:
[/quote]

Yes, that's good! :D

on the strength of my experience with the PBXN ive bought a pair of the JBXN to replace a pair of mim pups in a cv squier ive got knocking about, pickup balance at the moment is atrocious, neck is so much louder than the bridge and the g string is very weak, it will be interesting to hear the difference.

Edited by DarkHeart

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1406932433' post='2516121']
on the strength of my experience with the PBXN ive bought a pair of the JBXN to replace a pair of mim pups in a cv squier ive got knocking about, pickup balance at the moment is atrocious, neck is so much louder than the bridge and the g string is very weak, it will be interesting to hear the difference.
[/quote] That is fantastic I am so glad you are enjoying the Entwhistle :)

Someone please post sound clips! Desperate over here haha!

If these really are sounding how I think they might based on your descriptions, my next bass may just be a Bitsa with some Entwistles in it!

bloody hell ive created a monster! just put a pair of JBXN in a vm Jazz and its HUUUUGGE! If i knew how to put soundclips on here id give it a go and test these against wizard 84`s, these things kick serious arse!!

On the strength of this thread I had a look-see on the Entwhistle site for some humbuckers, which alas there are none

So I emailed Mr E asking if there are any plans to add to the range. got an email back the very next day saying that 'buckers are on the development list and will available soon.

[quote name='ricksterphil' timestamp='1407527058' post='2521566']
available soon.
[/quote]

This is fantastic news! I've got a 6 stringer that needs some humbuckers with bollocks!

Revelation Guitars just brought out a replica of the Les Paul Recording bass with Entwistle Soapbars. The pickups are modeled on the shape of the Low-Z originals, but as far as I can tell it is a high-Z pickup in there.