Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz (+Warwick now) DIY mods... how not to!

warwickhunt

Saw this on eBay and it has to be a stunning example of how you can slash the value of an instrument over night...

or in this case, 5 minutes (can't have taken more than that to do all the drilling and chiselling)!

Is it me or does the wood arond the battery 'rout' look like chipboard?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Jazz-Bass_W0QQitemZ160132065175QQihZ006QQcategoryZ4713QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Jazz-Bass_W0Q...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

Edited by warwickhunt

Love it! I was especially impressed by his drawing the reader's attention to the minor flaws but omitting the fact that his kid brither clealry took a chisel/spade to the battery compartment! I'm also a bit worried that the holes for the string through bridge might not be all that pretty either. What I always find amazing with such mods is that people seem to assume that removing a lump of wood and sticking in a loose battery in it won't change the tone of the instrument. I saw a PBass recently that had so much wood removed it was probably held together by the strings and pickguard. The guy selling it was talking in terms of 'classic early 70's tone'! Gotta laugh haven't you
Chers
Chris

I personally thought the random staggering of the string ferrules might add a certain something to the tone :)

Oh and I just noticed the saddle adjusters on pic 2 (or possibly not in the case of the E string)... what the feck is going on there!

Edited by warwickhunt

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='24958' date='Jun 29 2007, 03:50 PM']I personally thought the random staggering of the string ferrules might add a certain something to the tone :)

Oh and I just noticed the saddle adjusters on pic 2 (or possibly not in the case of the E string)... what the feck is going on there![/quote]

Took me a minute to figure out what you were on about, but I concur, how on earth do the saddle adjusters get longer (and therefore, higher) when the saddles are raised higher? It makes no sense :S

[quote name='Beedster' post='25074' date='Jun 29 2007, 07:26 PM']Oh man, those string retainers have made my day. Can one of the mods make this thread a sticky titled "Don't drink and drill" :)[/quote]

[b]I may just have to do that ! [/b] What on earth was this person thinking? its a bit like the Fat, bald, tone deaf guy that gets up on karoke and is convinced he sounds like Marti Pellow..... (oooh hang that IS Marti Pellow :huh: )

ksmart6052 is obvioulsy convinced he has done worthwile mods to this poor beast whose cries I can hear from Lincoln..! please someone give him £250 so that we can give the poor creature a decent burial...........

... and some silly s*d needs to realise that manufacturers probably research the best place to put a strap (base and horn). Added to which this seller also forgets to mention the fact that the A string doesn't seem to want to sit in the saddle! I can't believe he did that on purpose prior to photographing it, check out what it does to the string spacing. Warwicks are about as adjustable as you can get so I can't for the life of me figure that one out.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-Warwick-Streamer-Neck-thru-Bass-1988-OHSC_W0QQitemZ120137367441QQihZ002QQcategoryZ4713QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-Warwick-Stre...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

^^^ WH, methinks he is a dealer in anything BUT basses and doesnt know that much about them.

The fortunate part is that he will ONLY sell to US bidders so some poor mug over there wil have to put it right!

Just goes to illustrate how ebay has turned "wannabees" into traders....

Call me old fashioned but I really believe in honesty, if people dont know anything about a subject, they should ADMIT it, because the educated (in this case us here at the happy world of BC ) will soon put them right .......

And egg that is facially applied is not quite as nice as fried, poached, boiled etc... :)

[quote name='The Burpster' post='25228' date='Jun 30 2007, 10:22 AM']^^^ WH, methinks he is a dealer in anything BUT basses and doesnt know that much about them.

The fortunate part is that he will ONLY sell to US bidders so some poor mug over there wil have to put it right![/quote]

he's an American... the Bass is in America... bit cheeky using the UK ebay...

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='25353' date='Jun 30 2007, 06:30 PM']"I've set it up with a low-ish action and good intonation"

I'd hate to see his idea of high action - My Cheap Chinese Double bass came with lower action than that![/quote]

my Grind 6 had better action than that wen it came from thomann and as 7string will vouch you could have abseiled from mine

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='25207' date='Jun 30 2007, 08:43 AM']... and some silly s*d needs to realise that manufacturers probably research the best place to put a strap (base and horn). Added to which this seller also forgets to mention the fact that the A string doesn't seem to want to sit in the saddle! I can't believe he did that on purpose prior to photographing it, check out what it does to the string spacing. Warwicks are about as adjustable as you can get so I can't for the life of me figure that one out.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-Warwick-Streamer-Neck-thru-Bass-1988-OHSC_W0QQitemZ120137367441QQihZ002QQcategoryZ4713QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-Warwick-Stre...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url][/quote]

There is a possibility that the seller slackened the strings to show the wear to the pickup covers, and the A string popped out of the groove.

Still, a decent photograph goes a LONG way when selling on ebay.

MB1. :)

Maybe the american guy read the same diy bass book as the scotch guy.the strap holes on the warwick look a little like an aborted attempt at through body stringing?.totally pointless modifications,if you can call them that?

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='25207' date='Jun 30 2007, 08:43 AM']... and some silly s*d needs to realise that manufacturers probably research the best place to put a strap (base and horn). Added to which this seller also forgets to mention the fact that the A string doesn't seem to want to sit in the saddle! I can't believe he did that on purpose prior to photographing it, check out what it does to the string spacing. Warwicks are about as adjustable as you can get so I can't for the life of me figure that one out.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-Warwick-Streamer-Neck-thru-Bass-1988-OHSC_W0QQitemZ120137367441QQihZ002QQcategoryZ4713QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-Warwick-Stre...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url][/quote]
There is a school of thought that you can get rid of neck dive by moving strap buttons around. It looks as if he/she had four attempts to do so.

[quote name='Mottlefeeder' post='25443' date='Jun 30 2007, 11:58 PM']There is a school of thought that you can get rid of neck dive by moving strap buttons around. It looks as if he/she had four attempts to do so.[/quote]

Good Point - I managed to cure the horrendous neckdive on my thunderbird in a single attempt though.

[quote name='Mottlefeeder' post='25443' date='Jun 30 2007, 11:58 PM']There is a school of thought that you can get rid of neck dive by moving strap buttons around. It looks as if he/she had four attempts to do so.[/quote]

Absolutely right and no argument on why you might move the buttons, however 20 years of owning Warwicks and a fair few through my possession and I've [b]never [/b]had a Streamer with any neck dive!

You've just got to look at the size of the headstock and tuners on a Warwick and you can see that neck dive is not the reason this plonker (or a previous owner) moved the strap buttons around. Wouldn't be too bad if he'd plugged them neatly with wood instead of Polyfiller/PVA glue and sawdust.