Why become a member? ×

Please lock;)

Our local one in Camden has a particularly annoying young lady who keeps following me around the shop... I asked her for an SD card the other day and instead of showing me where they were she proceeded to explain at great length (with lots of arm waving and direct eye contact) that I could save more stuff on 32GB on than I could save on a 16GB one.... really? Well thank heavens you were here to bestowe upon me that sagacious insight into the hughly complicated world of memory cards.... without which I would surely have been bedazzaled by the confusing mass of different sized cards available and run out of the shop in a daze...

I'm begening to think this is part of a bigger problem. Why does a simple question have to turn into someone explaining their life story to me? seriously this happenes all the time. On the tube, in sainsburys, sometimes just walking down the street :blink: What is it about me that gives the impression I'm remotely interest in anyone elses life?

Apart from one chap in the Gateshead branch towards the end of the 90s, I've never found the staff in Maplins much use, irrespective of where they hailed from.

But it's a high street store and maybe Maplins don't ask much of their staff.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1396541107' post='2414893']
Why does a simple question have to turn into someone explaining their life story to me?
[/quote]

Taking that big leather couch with you everywhere you go is probably a bad idea.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1396540911' post='2414891']
Relevant because the communication was poor.
Broken English , kept having to reiterate what was required. Plus , it was a very basic requirement.
[/quote] I don't think that nationality (or ethnicity?) matters - just maplin's recruitment policies. Mind you if you came and asked me for a "9v connector lead" I wouldn't have a clue what you were asking for apart from some kind of low voltage power cable? cut cable?

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1396542711' post='2414925']
Oh look.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/pp3-t-shape-battery-clip-l85ab
[/quote]

Lol. You see Ray, it wasn't their fault they didn't understand what you wanted, it was you that didn't know what you wanted. ;)

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1396542981' post='2414928']

Lol. You see Ray, it wasn't their fault they didn't understand what you wanted, it was you that didn't know what you wanted. ;)
[/quote]

Looks like I got my wires crossed ;)Rant over.( mini rant really) . Shall we lock the thread ?

I went in to buy a pot(entiometer) once. It was exhausting. I asked for a 10k pot. The guy didn't know what it was. I asked for a 10k linear 16mm panel mount potentiometer. The guy still didn't know what it was. I described the function and appearance of a potentiometer. The guy still didn't know what it was. I found and pointed at it in the catalogue. The guy had never seen one before. I asked if there was anyone else I could speak to. He went and got his supervisor. The entire process repeated. I asked if they could just let me in the stock room and I would find it myself. They said they couldn't do that. They both went to look for it. 10 minutes later they both returned. With a 1k pot. I left. I cried for the world.

Edited by bobbass4k

I must admit I would assume that if I went into maplin here (in fact I would guarantee it) and asked for a 9v battery clip (even thought I would actually say a pp3 connector, but regardless), they would come up with the right thing.
And *then* engage me in irrelevant conversation!

And if I had gone into maplin and had the experience you had, I would then contact the maplin head office and tell them to sort it out. It isn't good enough. I don't care what nationality someone is, but there are certain things I would expect in Maplin, bad body odour and a level of technical knowledge in electronics. One of those is indispensable if they are to continue

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1396548207' post='2415004']
My point exactly. I pointed to the various members of staff the nearest thing to what I wanted. Even if Rolf Harris drew it for them, they would not understand
[/quote]

Ray, please tell me that you didn't ask: "Can you tell what it is yet?"

I used to get his in the Nuneaton Tandys way back when. How can they not know what a capacitor is??

If I need something from Maplins I find it on their website and get the catalogue code for it. I still get problems, even then.

Prefer to use http://www.cricklewoodelectronics.com/Cricklewood/home.php when I can. But boy do I miss my RS account and living less than a mile from their massive distribution centre with the little shop attached.

Edited by KingBollock