Why become a member? ×

Yamaha bb ... Why is 2024 etc so dear

Black Coffee

I was browsing today and discussing this with some mates.
At risk of treading where many have maybe been before. Could anybody explain to me in detail (or not) why a person would spend an extra £1,000 + for 2025 bass instead of a 1025

From any further than six feet it's gonna look much the same is it not....to all but those who know
But what is the £1,000 price tag difference for ?

Forgive my ignorance if it's obvious.

Edited by bassman344

The only way to find out is to play one.. if you can really feel the difference, you'll know it's worth the extra money. If you can't feel it, you'll be just as happy with the 1025 without having spent a load more.
What's the difference between a Squier and a CS Fender? etc..

Same reasons people buy most luxury items - they appreciate their finer qualities and can afford to pay for them.

Apart from the voodoo heat/humidity and vibration treatments, it would have the very best quality wood selected (it has mahogany instead of nato in the neck stripes too), will have more attention to detail on the fit and finish, and better fretwork. The body is also a bit more sculpted on the 20 series - look at the reflection on the forearm contour for example:

I have the 1025X and feel it was a big step up from the BB415. I would be very tempted if a 2025X came up for a good price!

Edited by dannybuoy

I have a 2024MX and it is the best Precision I've owned or played by some distance. Feel, playability, build quality and tone are all outstanding. It's very very good at what it does, and is both a quantitative and a qualitative step up from even the best Fender Custom Shop models.

I don't know what it is about BB's that makes them so appealing. I used to think they were butt ugly but now I can't get enough of looking at them especially vintage models.

I think it must be the unassuming but unmistakable looks and the simplicity of them.

Edited by Greggo

one is made in indnonesia and the other japan I think?

Why would someone spend an extra £3500 on a Pino CS precision when a normal Squier precision is more or less the same?
I've got a japanese BB, didn't actually mean to buy it... but the quality of it makes me realise that Beedster is really really daft to sell his BB2024mx

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1396388533' post='2413133']

Why would someone spend an extra £3500 on a Pino CS precision when a normal Squier precision is more or less the same?
I've got a japanese BB, didn't actually mean to buy it... but the quality of it makes me realise that Beedster is really really daft to sell his BB2024mx
[/quote]

It's not going anywhere yet Luke! Seriously, I'm waiting to sound out two new gigs before I decide. I'm living between West Wales and Kent at present and for ease of rehearsing need an EUB in both and, if truth be told, an electric bass in neither. However, there's a few things on the horizon that might allow me to justify keeping the 2024. I sincerely hope I can for all the reasons above and elsewhere on this forum.

[quote name='EKULP01' timestamp='1396436387' post='2413500']
I plan on placing an order soon for one of these beasts, thanks to Dannybuoy and Sean for giving me serious GAS! Thomann expect new stock mid April, much cheaper than ordering in the UK.
[/quote]

Give me a shout if you're serious, I'm really torn about it but at present I really do need a second EUB more than I need a 2024 no matter how lovely, and according to Mrs Beedster, money for bass gear doesn't grow on trees (unlike money for shoes which apparently does). Check out the listing in the FS forum

Chris

[quote name='Greggo' timestamp='1396387869' post='2413122']
I don't know what it is about BB's that makes them so appealing.[b] I used to think they were butt ugly[/b] but now I can't get enough of looking at them especially vintage models.

I think it must be the unassuming but unmistakable looks and the simplicity of them.
[/quote]

I've got to admit, I still think they are but the tone they are producing is one of the best I've heard.

[quote name='MikanHannille' timestamp='1396450727' post='2413817']
I've got to admit, I still think they are but the tone they are producing is one of the best I've heard.
[/quote]

Took a while for the looks to grow on me also, but tone wise I doubt it can be beaten. The Precision PUP is beautifully smooth when rolled back a little, but can also be monstrously powerful and gritty wide open. The Jazz PUP is so powerful and solid as to put it in a different league to any Jazz I've ever played, it's really hard to believe it's not an active circuit. The combination of the two isn't far off Pre-EB 'rays. It's not only extremely versatile, but it probably does Precision, Jazz and Ray better than most Precisions, Jazzes and Rays do.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1396727803' post='2416896']

It's not only extremely versatile, but it probably does Precision, Jazz and Ray better than most Precisions, Jazzes and Rays do.
[/quote]

That's not helping my GAS

I'm fighting hard not to pull the trigger....

• 3 weeks later...

Any BB1025x users know where I can grab one of these cheaply apart from Thomann and musik-produktiv?? The stock seems to be limited everywhere and I don't want to wait months! I can save a bit by buying elsewhere in the EU than say GAK, so any sites? Thanks

http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_bb_1025x_bl.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_bb_1025x_tbs.htm

Available in 2-5 days? They have the non-X version in stock now.

Or if you want the brown, 3-10 days from Musik Productiv: http://www.musik-produktiv.co.uk/yamaha-bb-1025x-cb.html

I'd call/email to confirm those estimates are accurate though!

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1396388533' post='2413133']

[/quote]

Having played both the lower end Yamahas vs the Japanese and the Pinos against a Squier then I think the difference is even more marked with Fender than Yamaha.

The basic Yamahas leave me completely cold, just a bit sterile and dead sounding compared to the Japanese ones.

The Pino is a lot more in terms of price difference (it's actually about £2,750 but still a huge jump) but the Pino is, to my ears, simply the best production P bass Fender make. I've played three of them and each one has been outstanding. Of course, he old adage that costing ten times as much doesn't make it ten times better still stands but, if you can afford it, then it's a fabulous bass.

Personally I'd choose a Pino over a 2024 but that partially because I just prefer the look of a Fender compared to the classic BB body shape. However I do rate the 2024 very highly - plus it has a 5 string option which you can't get from a Pino :)

[quote name='EKULP01' timestamp='1398264527' post='2432211']
Any BB1025x users know where I can grab one of these cheaply apart from Thomann and musik-produktiv?? The stock seems to be limited everywhere and I don't want to wait months! I can save a bit by buying elsewhere in the EU than say GAK, so any sites? Thanks
[/quote]

There's an eBay seller who sells 'b stock' at a reasonable price, I'd call for a full description first though.

The reason the BB2***s are so expensive is that they are rammed full of really good pharmaceutical quality cocaine that is purified in a special lab in Japan by highly trained craftsmen rather than mass produced rubbish from a factory. It's all hollow behind the pickguard so that they can store the maximum amount of baggies in there. I was told this by an expert.

Edited by Sean

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1398283398' post='2432554']
I believe the expensive ones have their new vibration and wood ageing process like on the Attitude 3.
[/quote]

I've been trying a vibration process on the ageing Mrs Dingus lately, but she sounds just the same as ever.

Edited by Dingus