Why become a member? ×

Too Tall to be a Session Player

Tobiasthegiant

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1396296659' post='2412079']

So we tall people get knocked back occasionally for being tall. Pfft - so what?
Better than being a bloody short-arse, eh? :D
[/quote]

That wasn't part of the story actually! Lol :)

[quote name='Bolo' timestamp='1396261299' post='2411414']
Rubbish comment. Ronny James Dio, Glenn Danzig to name a couple. HM is no more 'boy band image' affected than any other popular music.
There are commercial acts whose image precedes musicianship (i.e. Poison, Motley Crue, Cradle of Filth) but they are far outnumbered by the people that try to make energetic powerful guitar oriented music and don't care as much about looks.
[/quote]

Quite so. HM is for individualist musos. Any homogeneity of appearance - white, male, long hair, tatts, black t-shirt - is just evidence of their rejection of bourgeois ideas of 'conformity'.

We must excuse Bilbo for - as a Jazzer - he embraces a musical form which has absolutely no predetermined public image. Research conducted by the Winsley Institute For Policy Studies has indicated as much - see below:

[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1396293481' post='2412012']
OP, I've experienced similar! I auditioned for a band who have played on the mainstage at Sonisphere more than once as well as world touring. I was very pleased as I made it down to the last two out of the hundred or so applications.

I didn't get the job because, and I quote 'you're probably the better musician but the other guy just looked right.'

I learned alot that day!
[/quote]

Clearly a case of jealousy and insecurity on their part because you look like a total rock god, Dan. :-)

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1396299980' post='2412141']

Quite so. HM is for individualist musos. Any homogeneity of appearance - white, male, long hair, tatts, black t-shirt - is just evidence of their rejection of bourgeois ideas of 'conformity'.

We must excuse Bilbo for - as a Jazzer - he embraces a musical form which has absolutely no predetermined image in the eye of the public.
[color=#ffffff].[/color]
[/quote]
Or indeed any interest whatsoever from the public!

Of course, we must remember that Bilbo was once a fully paid up member of the HM community before he saw the error of his ways and took up jazz as a penance…

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1396293481' post='2412012']

I didn't get the job because, and I quote 'you're probably the better musician but the other guy just looked right.'

I learned alot that day!
[/quote]

I too had a similar experience...

The band I was looking to join was an orginals band that wanted to do rock/metal music.

I turned up a few weeks and all they talked about was image, stage names and band names BEFORE any note was even played on a instrument. I had a moan and asked why we wernt doing anything or even sharing musical ideas as I was turning up with all my gear after an 45 min drive to not even play music.

A few days later I got dumped because I didnt have the 'emo look'... (I'm too tall, blonde hair, no tattoos).

I had never been so confused before - how could I be dumped before they've even heard me play!?

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1396348565' post='2412466']
I had never been so confused before - how could I be dumped before they've even heard me play!?
[/quote]

Because the band thought that image was important and that you didn't fit. Unfortunately from you PoV there are lots of musicians about these days and finding the right person is about more than just playing. Personally I like to meet any potential new band members socially to find out if we can get on as people before we play any music together.

It was once said: "It's easier to teach someone to play the drums than how to be thin"

For me, if the music isn't there...then nothing gets to 2nd base.
It would be great to have it all, but at this level we don't...
Having said that, our current drummer is a GOD ( and I mean a Monster )
but lets just say there is some maintenance needed.
That might tell you about the gigs he is now picking up
as opposed to what he should be doing.....