Why become a member? ×

Do Basses have Trends?!

rodacademy

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1395611707' post='2404422']
This has got me wondering how people are going to "un-road worn" their basses in the future...
[/quote]

It's known in the trade as a 'refinish'. ;)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1395647462' post='2404571']
...can't for the life of me work out why you buy one new like it...
[size=4][/quote][/size]
Some people like the 'played in' feel of a bass, or they live in fear of their first 'ding' and like the idea they needn't worry about that.
And I know that some people just like the sound and feel of a particular bass, which just happens to be a roadworn.
The 'roadworn' element is not always the main reason why people buy such basses, it's often incidental.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1395647462' post='2404571']
I find road worn basses very funny. I can see why you'd use one if you'd had it years and
it had gotten that way.... but can't for the life of me work out why you buy one new like it...

Hilarious... :lol:
[/quote]

...and pay extra for it! :lol:

It's funny because it's true. :)

It's very clear to me that everyone on BC chooses their instruments and associated gear only after an exhaustive and totally objective comparative analysis of the important practical considerations. Style, image and fashion just don't get a look in.

This is even more true of TB members.

[quote name='dincz' timestamp='1395661032' post='2404725']
It's very clear to me that everyone on BC chooses their instruments and associated gear only after an exhaustive and totally objective comparative analysis of the important practical considerations. Style, image and fashion just don't get a look in.
This is even more true of TB members.
[/quote]

Quite. No-one on here would ever buy a bass without playing it, or just buy it blind on the internet.

Edit: *HEAVY IRONY*

Edited by discreet

20 something years ago I was asked what my perfect bass would be. I described a black BC Rich Warlock with a Widow headstock. I had only ever seen Warlocks in magazines and music videos, and had only seen the Widow headstock on the BC Rich Widow bass. Last year, after never having even seen one in the flesh, let alone played one, I saw exactly what I had described on Ebay and I bought it. It was a complete fluke that it plays as nicely as it does, especially as I had never heard anything good said about Warlocks. The bass I did buy hadn't even started being made back then and had been discontinued before I bought it, having had a run of about 10 years.

But then I live in a house that I had never seen before we actually bought it.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1395283472' post='2400701']
I think the 80's were an interesting time for bassists.

Hybrid amps, headless basses, exotic materials, effects pedals, string technologies - probably more advances in that one decade than in the previous 50 years and the years after.

Some of the ideas have lasted the course, others have fallen by the wayside.

Everything was trendy in the 80's.

Except me - I've always been an old fart. :)
[/quote]

I kinda stopped my bass evolution in the 80s as my collection will testify :). What kinda annoys me is that things like Steinbergers are seen as 80s fashion/retro when, in fact, they have serious merit as design, construction and playing masterpieces. I'd also agree with the comment that Rays are almost fashion-proof, which is also the sign of a great design. Loved 'em when I first tried in 1985, still love 'em now. Interchangeably suited to funk, disco, rock, indie, country, jazz styles, plus they look cool in the right colour combo.

[quote name='MattM' timestamp='1395782898' post='2406353']

Agreed. Something you don't appreciate until you've owned one.
[/quote]

Well me and my original L2 are coming up on 30 years together later this year so I've seen the whole cycle from Uber-trendy through to complete ridicule.

When I take them out now, what I'm finding is a lot of affection for them either from those unfamiliar who think "amazing instrument!" or from those who remember "Wow - don't see many of those about any more - sounds incredible" So I think we've finally got past the 80s fashion statement thing and they are more and more being recognised as the pinnacle of design and functionality that they always genuinely were.

Cheers

Ed

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1395997477' post='2408708']

Yes...but the leg brace is an integral part of the sheer ingenuity of the design.
[/quote]

Later models have the fold out leg rest but anyway I just play them on the strap, standing or sitting - perfectly balanced - set to any angle- makes no difference.

Surely the type of music you play must influence what type of bass or guitar you use as well. I mean if you are playing in a country band, its usually gonna be a P or a J in't it? Same with heavy metal bands. They tend to use Spectors or Ibanez or the likes. Its just a thought but I reckon style of music influences style of guitar to a certain extent.

I know I am just asking for loads of examples proving me wrong, but its my opinion ;)

I could probably use a Ray in any of the genres you cite without any issues, albeit I'd need to adjust the strap height for metal probably...:) I would probably get funny looks in a C&W band with a Steinberger but, hey, would love to give it a go (shuffles off to try some root-fifth goodness on XL2.....with leg rest flipped down obviously:))

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1395998043' post='2408721']
Surely the type of music you play must influence what type of bass or guitar you use
[/quote]
Must = a verb that implies a mandatory compliance to a rule. There are no rules in music...music is art.

You can play whatever bass you want no matter what the musical circumstances. If you choose to abide by popular unwritten convention you are merely limiting yourself!

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1395998043' post='2408721']
I know I am just asking for loads of examples proving me wrong, but its my opinion ;)
[/quote]
Its your belief. Beliefs are in actual fact emotionally based opinions. Whether or not you choose to embrace limiting beliefs is of course entirely your choice.

I've played the same summer festival the past 3 years. It usually has around 12-15 bands over the course of an afternoon/evening. I found it interesting to watch the basses that were getting pulled out there.

The first year I was literally the only bassist I saw not playing a Fender/copy (I was playing my Stingray) aside from a single Epiphone Thunderbird. The second year I played a Fender, and so did nearly everyone else (saw a Yamaha TRB and a Stingray copy). Last year I played my Warwick. Saw one other Warwick and a Bass Collection SGC Nanyo. The rest was Fender.

There seems to be a lack of "fashionable" basses at the moment, which results in most people "defaulting" to Fenders and those who aren't tend to be split fairly evenly across everything else that's available. This is just based on my observations though.

Edited by Ziphoblat

[quote name='Ziphoblat' timestamp='1396027939' post='2409252']
There seems to be a lack of "fashionable" basses at the moment, which results in most people "defaulting" to Fenders
[/quote]
Most people are defaulting to Fenders because most people are defaulting to Fenders.

Many people are like sheep....

The irony is, that we're all out of touch with fashion. I love the look of fenders and dislike fretboard LEDs and headless basses. Someone playing slap bass on a lighty-up bass with no headstock will ALWAYS look silly/undesirable to me (and I'm sure that's the case with some people when they see me playing a boring fender!). Our taste is influenced by trend but only in exposing us to what the options are. Your personal taste dictates whether you'll buy into it or not, not your peers!

Edited by skej21

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1396027148' post='2409235']
Must = a verb that implies a mandatory compliance to a rule. There are no rules in music...music is art.

You can play whatever bass you want no matter what the musical circumstances. If you choose to abide by popular unwritten convention you are merely limiting yourself!

Its your belief. Beliefs are in actual fact emotionally based opinions. Whether or not you choose to embrace limiting beliefs is of course entirely your choice.
[/quote]

Point one: Fair enough, but when have you ever seen a c/w guitarist using a flying V? Or for that matter, as mentioned above, a Steinberger bass...just saying

Point two: If you choose to think of my beliefs as limiting, then so be it but as mentioned above, you see c/w players MAINLY using Fenders. I never said it was a hard and fast rule :rolleyes:

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1396030506' post='2409285']
Point one: Fair enough, but when have you ever seen a c/w guitarist using a flying V? Or for that matter, as mentioned above, a Steinberger bass...just saying
[/quote]
I don't dispute that [i]those players have made that choice[/i]...but [i]could they [/i]play C/W with a flying V or a Steinberger? Is it [i]possible[/i]?
[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1396030506' post='2409285']
Point two: If you choose to think of my beliefs as limiting, then so be it but as mentioned above, you see c/w players MAINLY using Fenders. I never said it was a hard and fast rule :rolleyes:
[/quote]
Well, you were the one who said that you believed that "surely the type of music that you play must determine the instrument you make said music with" - not me. That is a belief that will undoubtedly limit your instrument options....[i]yes[/i]?