Why become a member? ×

Markbass CMD 121p and alternatives.

jonsparrow91

I'm really grateful for all these replies but something has just caught my eye, the TC Electronic BG250 combos. They have a 250w 15" combo that's only a few kg heavier than this Markbass [i]and it's only £300.[/i] So is there are catch or something? :S

[quote name='spaz91' timestamp='1394853085' post='2396045']
I'm really grateful for all these replies but something has just caught my eye, the TC Electronic BG250 combos. They have a 250w 15" combo that's only a few kg heavier than this Markbass [i]and it's only £300.[/i] So is there are catch or something? :S
[/quote]

Not really but yiu can not use an extension cab with it if memory serves me correct

[/quote]

Try before you buy. I tried the 12" version and 2x12 version in PMT in Bristol and they were very transparent and modern. Too much so for my taste but the 15" may be more bassy. Then again the Markbass tone isn't my favourite either.

[quote name='spaz91' timestamp='1394978820' post='2397249']
So the Markbass is still the best option, just the most expensive.
[/quote]

No, the most expensive is getting something else, and then selling it to buy the Markbass when you realise that it wasn't what you really wanted. :P

Got my CMD121P last year and it's been awesome. I wish I had bought one years ago.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1394979983' post='2397274']
No, the most expensive is getting something else, and then selling it to buy the Markbass when you realise that it wasn't what you really wanted. :P
[/quote]

That was part of my reasoning to go straight for the CMD 121P. It was pretty much top of most people's recommendations for a good, loud, lightweight amp.

Give those TC electronics a whirl though to see if you like the sound. If you're in PMT soon ask them if they know when they're getting the MarkBass stuff in stock so you can compare side-by-side. You're still welcome to try mine of course but you'll be able to crank it up a bit in PMT and try them against each other.

Well the way the job market is looking in Bristol, I might have to get the cheaper option with a lump sum at the start of the next [s]money[/s] term and hope mI can find a gig to pay it off. Relying on finding a 16+ hour job would probably mean waiting a very long time (I've no useful relevant experience.)

So even if it's a p.o.s, the BG250 is winning this race. Maybe the Ibanez Promethean if I can get some concrete, non-endorsee facts on it.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't read all the posts yet, so just for the OP.
The Markbass amp in this combo is capable but if the band is on the loud side
you will likely be struggling for gain. You may well get the level
but it will likely be 'compromised' and it will then depend on your playng style as to
whether you can make the combo work...
I find a single 12 can hit a volume but not a sound..or you can get very
little variance that is usable.
But...your compromise is the fact that you need lightweight AND small
so you must accept there is only so much you can push these limits.

If volume is all you need...you could use it..but if your have tone goals
you may well find it beyond these unit types. Add another cab and
you'll be more than fine. Basically, you may be asking too much from
the single unit so be reasonable in your expectations

Everyone else has covered items, two, three, and four so I'll just mention one thought on the smaller cab. I believe the compact size cab casing improves the air being pushed out of the cab, more efficiently than a larger cab where the air and sounds move around in the cab before pushing out of the cab. 12" Speakers aren't new by any means.They seem to be waking players up to a bit more surface area of the speaker itself.

• 1 year later...

[/quote]

Just been reading this thread as I'm having similar thoughts. I currently have a TC rig, Classic 450 into BC210, which is great for the pub covers band. I'm looking for something smaller, with a one-hand carry, to take to things like pit-band gigs. The MB 121P seems the obvious choice, but the TC BG250 112 also caught my eye, as I'm already a TC fan and it's much more wallet-friendly than the MB. As mentioned, the BG250 doesn't appear to support an extension cab.

Although I like the idea of a little combo that can be extended as needed, when needed I'd probably prefer to take just one bigger cab than two smaller ones! With my current setup I can just about do a single-trip get-in, with the aid of a trolley... but then the MB + a second 1x12 could probably sit on the trolley...

/thinking aloud /ramble over

[quote name='spaz91' timestamp='1394744870' post='2394801']
So, re: the Markbass:
1. Does the small cab size make it sound boxy and thin?
2. Is it hand portable, in your opinion?
3. Though the official website strictly prohibits it, is it possible to replace the amplifier with a different model?
4. Is 12" really enough speaker coverage to play with a drummer?
[/quote]

1) Not at all, not even close. Small cab, small box, but sounds "proper". It doesn't move as much air as bigger ones, obviously, but that only affects volume, not the quality of the sound.

2) Quite. It's still 12-14Kg, 'though, so I would not like to carry it for miles from that handle... it's bulky enough to make it uncomfortable after a few hundred metres, but I can't imagine you can get something that does the job if this that can be more easily transported.

3) I've seen people do that. Yes. You can remove the head too, but it'll be missing the top plate.

4) I've played gigs, full band, with only the MarkBass. Granted, we were not very loud in those situations, but it worked. However I'd generally want an extension cab. I have used a Schroeder mini10 (smaller than the MarkBass combo) and together it sounded beautiful and pretty big. More often I used a Barefaced Compact *or* BB2... now THAT gets loud. Most times I only require a stage monitor, really, as the bass will have PA support... for that the combo is fantastic: walk in, set up easily, it sounds good, plenty loud for a small stage... unplug and walk out, simples.

I love mine. It's not for every situation, but it can cover a lot of ground.

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1434540623' post='2800541']

Just been reading this thread as I'm having similar thoughts. I currently have a TC rig, Classic 450 into BC210, which is great for the pub covers band. I'm looking for something smaller, with a one-hand carry, to take to things like pit-band gigs. The MB 121P seems the obvious choice, but the TC BG250 112 also caught my eye, as I'm already a TC fan and it's much more wallet-friendly than the MB. As mentioned, the BG250 doesn't appear to support an extension cab.

Although I like the idea of a little combo that can be extended as needed, when needed I'd probably prefer to take just one bigger cab than two smaller ones! With my current setup I can just about do a single-trip get-in, with the aid of a trolley... but then the MB + a second 1x12 could probably sit on the trolley...

/thinking aloud /ramble over
[/quote]

I have a RH750 with RS212 and 112 cabs, a BG250-115 and a CMD121P with a NY121. I'm finding that in pretty much every situation I'm picking up the Markbass cabs. Size, tone, weight - and with two cabs - volume make it a winner.

Played an outdoor gig yesterday with my CMD121 and a brand new NY121 I got from Bass Direct on Friday (completely untried) Easy to transport, carried them both to the stage with my bass on my back (about 300 yards from the car) one trip, piece of cake. Sounded awesome, gain and output both at 11 o clock, had to turn down at one point as I couldn't hear the guitarist! I'm a convert...

Edited by 4-string-thing