Why become a member? ×

Are you happy with your bass tone?

livingbasshead

I`m happy - there, I`ve said it.

I too was getting too caught up in the quest for "perfection", always thinking I could just tweak to get that little extra. Then I decided to fit new roundwounds, and set all eq flat on the amp, ditch the Zoom B3 (still keeping it as a DI/emergency unit though) and just play, tweak mids to the room/stage. Sounds great. I let a bassist use my rig at a gig, and he was using the same bass as I do - Precision, natch - and it sounded awesome. Sometimes hearing your own rig used by someone else is a great way of realising just how good it is. I reckon armed with a freshly strung Precision, and eq on an amp set to flat I can get what I want now with minimal tweaking.

Bit irritated that I need new strings for what I need though - gonna cost a fortune!

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1394211221' post='2389231']
You 'sculpt' the tone?

Come on. We twiddle some knobs to get a sound we like.
[/quote]

I have a lot of knobs and most definitely sculpt ;)

Pretentious as that sounds it's all about subtractive EQ'ing for me. Taking away what you don't want so as to emphasize the sound you do want. Hence sculpting rather than twiddling.

Me. I am. It's taken nearly 20 years, but I've taken the actives out of my bass and cloned a Sadowsky outboard for my clean sound, for the dirt it's the Xotic BB Bass pre (erm, cloned again - I'm poor!)

My live amp (SWR SM400) has [i]far[/i] more tone shaping potential than any sane musician would ever need, but it's the there to correct imperfections at venues/rehearsal spaces.

[quote name='Samashton12' timestamp='1394195005' post='2388989']
Yes, finally found it with the VT Bass. :D
[/quote]

Totally agree, I am happy with my sound and have been for a good while but when I kick the VT bass pedal in people come up and comment on how good my sound was......£80.00 pedal is all you need ;)

I'm almost always delighted with my bass tones. I make them with my POD X3 while playing along to my bands' tracks on KRK headphones with no bass in the song mix. I set the level of the bass against the music like it is on the released version, and get on with eqing the sort of tone that pleases me and suits the style of music. Then I copy it to other patches and programme other versions of the tone with different effects and volume levels. They usually sound sh*t on their own so I have a few patches that please me if I'm just playing without any accompaniment.

I don't use amps, and on a gig I'll probably change eq and level for the room or if the FoH engineer gives me any comments.

Sometimes I will start all over again if I get excited about an idea or a sound I want, I change my idea of a pleasing tone quite often.

People can get way too hung up on this subject…!

There are hundreds of great bass tones out there and even more bad ones! Pick a good tone that you like and works with the music that you play, then get a decent amp that can deliver what you have in your head and learn how to EQ it. All you need then is a good playable bass that is compatible with that sound and forget about it and concentrate on playing…!

The chances are that you will have to compromise many times (use different amps, etc.), but if you have a decent technique and know how to use the EQ on an amp, you should pretty much get a decent sound that is something close to the tone that you want…

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1394235663' post='2389522']
People can get way too hung up on this subject…!

There are hundreds of great bass tones out there and even more bad ones! Pick a good tone that you like and works with the music that you play, then get a decent amp that can deliver what you have in your head and learn how to EQ it. All you need then is a good playable bass that is compatible with that sound and forget about it and concentrate on playing…!

The chances are that you will have to compromise many times (use different amps, etc.), but if you have a decent technique and know how to use the EQ on an amp, you should pretty much get a decent sound that is something close to the tone that you want…
[/quote]

Exactly.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1394235836' post='2389526']

Exactly.
[/quote]
Funnily enough, I have a completely different approach to you. However, I don't think that is really the issue here!

I basically use the same tone for every occasion and would never use a pod or similar if I could help it. But the main thing is to have the basic tone in your head, know how to use the EQ to get there and not be too anal about it…

Edited by peteb

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1394236367' post='2389535']
Funnily enough, I have a completely different approach to you but I don't think that is really the issue here!

I basically use the same tone for every occasion and would never use a pod or similar if I could help it. But the main thing is to have the basic tone in your head, know how to use the EQ to get there and not be too anal about it…
[/quote]

But the outcome is the same I imagine. Great tone that pleases you and works with the music. It's all in your bonce init.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1394236505' post='2389539']
I'm happy with my gear! I've never really been too fussy with tonal minutiae, so the kit that I've got gets me the sounds I need.

However, im not 100% happy with my technique, which in my opinion is much more important to what I sound like than where the tone stack on my amp has been set.
[/quote]

Brain > Body > Equipment > Music

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1394237918' post='2389553']
I don't agree with that mate. Otherwise Chris Squire would sound the same as Robbie Shakespeare.
[/quote]

Well yes. But I know what I mean. Sort of. But you're right of course.

(I had to google Chris Squire)

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1394237918' post='2389553']

I don't agree with that mate. Otherwise Chris Squire would sound the same as Robbie Shakespeare.
[/quote]
I have to agree with you there very strongly…!

To cross-reference with another thread, it certainly true that a lot of your tone is in your fingers but, when it comes down to it, a hell of a lot of it is down to EQ. Hence the huge difference in sound between Chris Squire and Mr Shakespeare…

This is a bit like the 'fingers' thread... I too didn't fret (ha) about gear until I came on here, then went nuts. I've only recently decided that perhaps gear isn't as important as I thought it might be, but one positive result of all this GAS and expenditure is that I've quite radically changed (and hopefully improved) the way I address the bass... (hello, bass).

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1394238506' post='2389559']
I have to agree with you there very strongly…!

To cross-reference with another thread, it certainly true that a lot of your tone is in your fingers but, when it comes down to it, a hell of a lot of it is down to EQ. Hence the huge difference in sound between Chris Squire and Mr Shakespeare…
[/quote]

If I played Tempus Fugit with RS's tone, the whole song would sound completely different. Same as if I played Pull Up To The Bumper with CS's tone. The bass tone affects the music quite substantially.