Why become a member? ×

New site dedicated to Rickenfakers

chriswareham

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1394014885' post='2386843']
I would have thought there must be a way to do this without too many problems... e.g. sending pics privately via email, etc... [size=4]Now some of this stuff here is very nice, and not too pricey, either... *displays range of questionable under-the-counter goods*[/size]
[/quote]

Login-only?

[quote name='tommorichards' timestamp='1393979513' post='2386666']
And a vid of sounds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu92Qp1oKUA"
[/quote]

I've added a page for your Gherson - many thanks for the pictures. I've added a credit with your name to the bottom of the page, and the "alt" attributes on the images mark the pictures as copyright to you. Do you know what the model number or name of the bass is?

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1394005701' post='2386714']
Good stuff Chris, can it have a marketplace or will that run into problems?
[/quote]

My understanding is that it would be legal for sales by private sellers in the UK at least, but it's not something that I'm interested in hosting. As icastle points out, it would mean that the site couldn't be linked from Basschat which defeats part of the purpose of it since people often post on here with queries regarding Rickenfaker identification.

[quote name='matski' timestamp='1394012718' post='2386817']
What brand of faker is this? It's pretty close to the real thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrHN9tJLaQ0
[/quote]

Can't believe I just watched a Buble video!!! The bridge and pickup cover are identical to the ones on the Rockinbetter branded models, so I'd guess that's what it is.

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.

The Tokai/Rockinbetter nonsense was started by salespeople/marketers who dealt with Tokai and bought in Rockinbetters, putting it out on the net that they were made by Tokai. It became "internet fact". It is cobblers.
That is how that bollocks started.
SOME Rockinbetters were made in the same Chinese factory as SOME Tokais, eg the Thunderbirds.
As the man from Tokai said, "if it ain't got Tokai on it, it ain't a Tokai".
Erm, unless it's been modded.
Tokai have never made Rockinbetters!!!!!! End of!!!!!!

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1394026487' post='2387045']
My understanding is that it would be legal for sales by private sellers in the UK at least, but it's not something that I'm interested in hosting. As icastle points out, it would mean that the site couldn't be linked from Basschat which defeats part of the purpose of it since people often post on here with queries regarding Rickenfaker identification.
[/quote]

But in that case it's not doing anything we can't we do that here? I'm guessing it could be linked to from the eBay forum, but either way I'm not sure, if you can't buy and sell, what the point is given that the faker thread is pretty comprehensive? Am I missing something?

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1394026687' post='2387050']
Can't believe I just watched a Buble video!!! The bridge and pickup cover are identical to the ones on the Rockinbetter branded models, so I'd guess that's what it is.
[/quote]

I would say so - that looks exactly like mine (or did before I took the cover off). Maybe I need a black and white dress ;-)

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1394050993' post='2387460']
But in that case it's not doing anything we can't we do that here? I'm guessing it could be linked to from the eBay forum, but either way I'm not sure, if you can't buy and sell, what the point is given that the faker thread is pretty comprehensive? Am I missing something?
[/quote]

The problem with the Basschat Rickenfaker thread is that while there's a lot of information, it's scattered all over and most of the images and links are dead since they point to long defunct eBay auctions.

My Rickenfaker mods so far:

Replaced control knobs from generic Jazz Bass style knobs to Matamp chickenheads (don't care, I love 'em). Turning into my "standard" mod on all electric guitars!
Schaller strap locks. Another "standard" mod.
Replaced the bridge pickup surround from the standard Rockinbetter "flat" plate, to a raised/contoured plate. Kept pickup "cover" on.

Thinking about swapping the pickups for aftermarket ones (SD's being the most likely candidates), and possibly swapping the scratchplate. Both undecided as of yet.

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1394026687' post='2387050']
[/quote]

Heh heh! It's not so bad if you have the sound turned down and somehow ignore Mr B... :)

Well, I changed my neck pickup for an SD, but now I am going to have to redo that, as I have next to no volume on the E string compared to the A. I am going to turn it round to see if the pattern is different the other way round, failing that I will have to move it closer to the edge.

Actually I am thinking of moving the bridge slightly up as it is more to the bass string on the neck than the top one, and I think it should be the other way round. I intend to try redoing the scratch plate to have a pearl one as well, just because I have never made one before.

Oh yes, and I want to do the stereo thing, but not like a rick, probably two mono sockets

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1394026487' post='2387045']
My understanding is that it would be legal for sales by private sellers in the UK at least, but it's not something that I'm interested in hosting.
[/quote]

Legality is a funny thing.

For some businesses, the hardest part about taking legal action for something they don't like is working out who to name on the paperwork.
If they can't identify an individual, they'll take action against the web site owners.

In some parts of the world it is possible to bring a court action for the most ridiculous of things.
The 'winner' is the person who can pay their legal bills the longest, not necessarily who's actually 'right'.

Hey dude, ive messaged the guy i sold it to for bits of info missing.

I can say that it had stereo output, like the real thing, and i know it was made in the 70's, but unsure of year. I dont know what model it is, but i dont think it was a professional, maybe an earlier model of the professional.

As for the video, at least there are some distractions from actually watching Mr Bubble.

But the bass does look like a Rockinbetter, and the guitar is an ESP EC (LP-a-like; 3 control knobs & reduced cutaway).