Why become a member? ×

So I bought a Fodera...

JazzBassfreak

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1393865596' post='2385220']
possibly because its a softer wood, so can be easily dinged. Companies usually use a hard laquer/paint as to rectify this. Like the Bongo. thats made out of basswood.
[/quote]

Didn't know that. I know the Ibanez Gary Willis basses are basswood.

That's 2 things I've learned from this thread :) .

Beautiful looking bass by the way :) .

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1393866424' post='2385237']
I imagined that the black part of those YY Foderas was a stained finish - maybe Fodera can advise over how best to lessen surface scratches/indentations (like steaming out)?
[/quote]

Methinks steaming would be a big no no. Dampening a wood that's spent a year in Fodera's wood files drying out would be disrespectful. The only thing I could think of was the absolute tiniest smidge of T-cut to see if that did anything

[quote name='JazzBassfreak' timestamp='1393865860' post='2385229']
Can't stand the unfriendly vibe. It's killing ma groove!
[/quote]

Unfortunately, my friend, you have contradicted some folks very definite ideas about how and in what manner a muso should spend his money when choosing a bass.

Contrary to what some might try and tell you on here , you have every right to buy what you want how you want , and then you also have the perfect right to be dissatisfied or unsure about your purchase afterwards. It is all perfectly valid and it is perfectly reasonable to think and feel that way . I have bought countless basses, most of which were very expensive, and I haven't been entirely happy in one way or another with most of them. That said, a lot of basses that I had misgivings about after I first bought them have grown on me over time , though, so that is something to bear in mind. You could discover more things you like about this Fodera and its' P pickup as you get more familiar with it.

Let me offer you some informed and friendly advice, though. Don't under any circumstances f*** about with this bass by changing the pickups, re-routing it or any other such projects. Trust me when I tell you that you will not end up with anything that you are any more happy with , and you will be throwing a lot of money down the drain in the process. Keep this bass all-original and you can have your money back from it any time you like in the foreseeable future, and you have it to use and enjoy in the meantime . Fodera's have great prestige , will always be in demand and should command a high price for a good example. In that respect, you have made a very wise purchase.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1393867733' post='2385264']

Unfortunately, my friend, you have contradicted some folks very definite ideas about how and in what manner a muso should spend his money when choosing a bass.

Contrary to what some might try and tell you on here , you have every right to buy what you want how you want , and then you also have the perfect right to be dissatisfied or unsure about your purchase afterwards. It is all perfectly valid and it is perfectly reasonable to think and feel that way . I have bought countless basses, most of which were very expensive, and I haven't been entirely happy in one way or another with most of them. That said, a lot of basses that I had misgivings about after I first bought them have grown on me over time , though, so that is something to bear in mind. You could discover more things you like about this Fodera and its' P pickup as you get more familiar with it.

Let me offer you some informed and friendly advice, though. Don't under any circumstances f*** about with this bass by changing the pickups, re-routing it or any other such projects. Trust me when I tell you that you will not end up with anything that you are any more happy with , and you will be throwing a lot of money down the drain in the process. Keep this bass all-original and you can have your money back from it any time you like in the foreseeable future, and you have it to use and enjoy in the meantime . Fodera's have great prestige , will always be in demand and should command a high price for a good example. In that respect, you have made a very wise purchase.
[/quote]

Thank you mate! Finally abit of sense and not just everyone throwing judgements and "that idiots thinking of doing what?!" Type comments. Cheers for the friendly advice, I'm a very happy owner and will no doubt look into getting scratches and dings looked at to tart her up. But will maybe leave the pickup swaps to the lower level of basses like my beaten in Fender jazz. Thanks for the reassurance and advice mate, greatly appreciated ^.^

Edited by JazzBassfreak

[quote name='JazzBassfreak' timestamp='1393867336' post='2385254']
Methinks steaming would be a big no no. Dampening a wood that's spent a year in Fodera's wood files drying out would be disrespectful. The only thing I could think of was the absolute tiniest smidge of T-cut to see if that did anything
[/quote]

I'm talking damp cloth and a warm iron for a few seconds (which is how I got some dings out of my swamp ash bodied Cort fretless) and I did say ask Fodera (to see whether the black pigment is water soluble or not - I'd imagine not). I wouldn't go near it with any cutting compound.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1393854193' post='2385006']
I didn't realise the dark part of the bass was painted, I always thought it was some sort of darker wood facing.

[/quote]

I seem to remember that Fodera make two versions of this bass, the extremely expensive one like Victor Wooten has , which is painstakingly made from interlocking pieces of wood to get the ying-yang pattern, and these less expensive Standard versions that are stained to create the effect. They only make a handful of the deluxe version each year, and they are usually all spoken for way in advance.

[quote name='JazzBassfreak' timestamp='1393868149' post='2385273']
Thank you mate! Finally abit of sense and not just everyone throwing judgements and "that idiots thinking of doing what?!" Type comments. Cheers for the friendly advice, I'm a very happy owner and will no doubt look into getting scratches and dings looked at to tart her up. But will maybe leave the pickup swaps to the lower level of basses like my beaten in Fender jazz. Thanks for the reassurance and advice mate, greatly appreciated ^.^
[/quote]

If you want advice on restoring the finish or maintaining the bass in any way, get in touch with the crew at Fodera. They really are master craftsmen, the best in the business, and will be glad to offer advice. It goes without saying, they are the best people to ask . Also, it can be less expensive than you might think to ship the bass back to NYC to get it serviced / refurbished by them, so that is one option to consider .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1393867733' post='2385264']
Unfortunately, my friend, you have contradicted some folks very definite ideas about how and in what manner a muso should spend his money when choosing a bass.[/quote] to be fair mate, i don't think that was, what some guys points were at all. but never mind.

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1393868044' post='2385271']
Something is going[u] very [/u] wrong when[i] I[/i] am acting as the voice of reason and reconciliation.
[/quote]

I don't entirely agree with your assessment I'm afraid. If a thread goes 'pear shaped' it's not just because the moon is in the wrong phase or a particular bout of mean spiritedness has overcome BC.

I've no problem with the OP posting about his purchase. I'm a great VW fan and I'd love a Fodera. If I sold a few basses I could indeed afford one so I've no gripe. I think they are stunning instruments.

Every bass I own is a good un too.

The OP's original thread has two main inconsistencies that have nothing to do with 'folks definite ideas about spending money' imo.

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]People have commented on these inconsistencies and the OP has reacted quite negatively to these comments.[/color][/font]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I made my recommendation in my 1st reply and I stick by it as a reasonable response.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I can only repeat:[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]'The meaning of your communication is the response you get'. [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Lovely bass, enjoy :)[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Peter[/font][/color]

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1393862686' post='2385166']
why do people think BassWood is bad .? there is nothing wrong with BassWood, seriously I've played some kick ass Jazz basses that were BassWood bodied, its very similar to ash but without as much grain.

anyways, you got any more lovely pics of this Fodera.? :)
[/quote]

Basswood is indeed an extremely good wood for making guitars out of, and more and more manufacturers are recognising that, particularly for six string guitars,. Sounds great for some basses too, like the previously mentioned Bongo.

The great thing about basswood is that it is relatively lightweight and very resonant. I think most of the stigma some people attach to using basswood( or tilia, lime or linden , as it is also known) is because it is very plain in appearance and relatively inexpensive compared to some other commercial timbers. It is , however, a wood that has long been recognised for its' acoustic qualities , and as far back as the middle ages it was being used to carve woodwind instruments. Nothing wrong with baswood on the right bass.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1393869279' post='2385302']

Basswood is indeed an extremely good wood for making guitars out of, and more and more manufacturers are recognising that, particularly for six string guitars,. Sounds great for some basses too, like the previously mentioned Bongo.

The great thing about basswood is that it is relatively lightweight and very resonant. I think most of the stigma some people attach to using basswood( or tilia, lime or linden , as it is also known) is because it is very plain in appearance and relatively inexpensive compared to some other commercial timbers. It is , however, a wood that has long been recognised for its' acoustic qualities , and as far back as the middle ages it was being used to carve woodwind instruments. Nothing wrong with baswood on the right bass.
[/quote]

Am I right I'm saying some companies use the term basswood for an undisclosed species though? As I said I've had basses with bodies of "basswood" and I can definitely say it's verging on blended sawdust+glue rather than wood

Edited by JazzBassfreak

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1393868778' post='2385292']
to be fair mate, i don't think that was, what some guys points were at all. but never mind.
[/quote]
[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1393869152' post='2385298']
I don't entirely agree with your assessment I'm afraid. If a thread goes 'pear shaped' it's not just because the moon is in the wrong phase or a particular bout of mean spiritedness has overcome BC.

I've no problem with the OP posting about his purchase. I'm a great VW fan and I'd love a Fodera. If I sold a few basses I could indeed afford one so I've no gripe. I think they are stunning instruments.

Every bass I own is a good un too.

The OP's original thread has two main inconsistencies that have nothing to do with 'folks definite ideas about spending money' imo.

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]People have commented on these inconsistencies and the OP has reacted quite negatively to these comments.[/color][/font]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I made my recommendation in my 1st reply and I stick by it as a reasonable response.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I can only repeat:[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]'The meaning of your communication is the response you get'. [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Lovely bass, enjoy :)[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Peter[/font][/color]
[/quote]

I'm not having a go at [i][u]anybody[/u], [/i] or taking sides in any of this . I only want to make the point that the O.P is not under any particular onus to behave rationally or according to other people's criteria for making a purchase. Human beings are not, after all, rational creatures at the best of times, and pursuing an interest as romantic and impractical as playing the bass guitar it is hardly surprising that hard- headed reasoning doesn't always feature that prominently in the decision making process. :)

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='JazzBassfreak' timestamp='1393869734' post='2385309']
Am I right I'm saying some companies use the term basswood for an undisclosed species though? As I said I've had basses with bodies of "basswood" and I can definitely say it's verging on blended sawdust+glue rather than wood
[/quote]

As far as I knowm basswood is a solid wood. It may be that on some very cheap instruments they are using a ply made from layers of basswood, but I really don't know about that. Usually on an instrument of any quality basswood is a specific solid wood. It's incredibly inexpensive, and is often used in things like very cheap self-assembly furniture.

[/quote]
If they do, it is blatant misrepresentation. Basswood is a particular tree -- it's what our British lime or linden tree is known as in the US.

[/quote] no, in the same way you can't advertise and sell an oak chest of drawers which is made of MDF and acrylic veneers

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1393869279' post='2385302']

[/quote]Usually why you find basswood bodies are usually painted, or topped with a nicer wood like some G & L's.. i won't go into what wood sounds good debate, but imo it sounds just as good as any other with high quality pickups, and good strings. but thats another subjective debate.

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1393869959' post='2385315']

As far as I knowm basswood is a solid wood. It may be that on some very cheap instruments they are using a ply made from layers of basswood, but I really don't know about that. Usually on an instrument of any quality basswood is a specific solid wood. It's incredibly inexpensive, and is often used in things like very cheap self-assembly furniture.
[/quote]

I can come to an assumption mass produced basses maybe have that. That's probably why it looks like MDF & chip board. I must say though, I've never seen anything of low quality from fender or Squier. No matter how cheap, the bodies are always a good hefty chunk of real solid wood. From a wood tree. That's most probably more than not, made of wood.