Why become a member? ×

Studio time

mikebass84

[quote name='mikebass84' timestamp='1393582221' post='2382132']
Just heading to univibe studio's in Birmingham to record the new Khaos Theory EP. We're there for the next three days and we plan on getting three new tracks done. We'll be doing a video diary so keep an eye out
[/quote]
Have fun.
Crickey we knocked out 7 songs in less than 2 days.. @ €30 an hour with our own money, we rocked up ready.

Edit, should add that time didn't involve any mixing or mastering.

Edited by Highfox

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1393587417' post='2382213']
What an odd comment. Not all songs are created equal.

And to think it took Freddy and the gang 3 weeks to record just one song... Bohemian Rhapsody was it? Talk about getting people to pull their socks up...!
[/quote]

I'm sorry if my comment seemed out of order.. I agree not all songs are created equal and we were on a shoestring budget.. so best of luck with your session and look forward to hearing the results.

It all depends on the band and the genre I reckon. We did 6 songs, recorded, mixed, mastered in 2 days. But then we`re a 3 piece, and the total of those 6 songs is 11 and a half minutes, so if anything I reckon we took it easy.

Look forward to the diary Mike, I live seeing how other bands work in studios, and pretty much love being in the studio myself.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1393592646' post='2382314'] It's all horses for courses really and what you want to get out of the studio. For example, one of the tracks I'm working on is up to 13 hours on mastering alone. [/quote]

Something wrong with the mix then?

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1393593699' post='2382331']
Nope.
[/quote]

Then in all seriousness who is doing 13 hours work to master one track if the mix isnt somehow wrong?

It would almost certainly be far cheaper to get Bob Katz to do the job in an hour.......

I haven't mentioned anything about the recording yet everybody is quick to jump a band wagon to state that there is something wrong.

I don't think it's bad given the complexity of the track that is being mastered - just short of 10 mins, 25 channels - with changing sounds/patches and levels within those tracks, it's quite a monster. There's getting things "right" and "perfect". I'm aiming for the latter. I may reveal the track in the future at some point and then maybe you'll understand the complexity behind the mastering.,. and as far as bringing the ability of the mastering engineer into question, he's mixed and engineered more commercially successful mixes than the rest of us I'm sure.

This example alone states why it's ludicrous to post any sort of time scales on a project because people aren't usually informed enough to know what is involved with a particular project.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='mikebass84' timestamp='1393620306' post='2382782']
Our producer/engineer is very very very picky with sounds and timing. Especially when it comes to the drums (he's a very talented drummer in his own right). Got the first song done bar vocals and guitar solo. Going really well so far. Sounds f***ing huge!
[/quote]
Cool man, hope yous have a blast!

1st two songs are totally finished now (apart from the final mix and master). The next song is the easiest song so we should get that down nice and early.
Was done in two takes today. Bass is sounding really nice. Just straight into the desk. Next to no eq. Just my bass and playing

[quote name='mikebass84' timestamp='1393704879' post='2383622']
1st two songs are totally finished now (apart from the final mix and master). The next song is the easiest song so we should get that down nice and early.
Was done in two takes today. Bass is sounding really nice. Just straight into the desk. Next to no eq. Just my bass and playing
[/quote]

We were in the studio last weekend, and my bass was just through the pedal board and straight into the desk.

Enjoy it! We had a very very long 1 day session and got 6 songs recorded, we are now waiting for the mixes.

What I loved was the fact that you could re-record just a bit you wanted to do again! I only asked to do it twice, but it was such fun!

I had a metal band in the studio a couple of weeks ago to do one song. Tracking it was easy, getting it to sound right is taking ages! I'm hoping to finish it off tonight

With my folk band we did the bass and drums for 15 tracks in 6 hours, main vocals and main guitars for 5 of those in 6 hours the following day, and it sounds fantastic, will be dead quick to mix.

It sounds like EBS-Freak is saying it's taking ages to mix AND master his track, not just master it? Which would explain the time involved.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1393594702' post='2382352'] I haven't mentioned anything about the recording yet everybody is quick to jump a band wagon to state that there is something wrong. I don't think it's bad given the complexity of the track that is being mastered - just short of 10 mins, 25 channels - with changing sounds/patches and levels within those tracks, it's quite a monster. There's getting things "right" and "perfect". I'm aiming for the latter. I may reveal the track in the future at some point and then maybe you'll understand the complexity behind the mastering.,. and as far as bringing the ability of the mastering engineer into question, he's mixed and engineered more commercially successful mixes than the rest of us I'm sure. This example alone states why it's ludicrous to post any sort of time scales on a project because people aren't usually informed enough to know what is involved with a particular project. [/quote]

Not sure I get your drift.

Is he mastering with stems then (the reference to 25 channels)?

Because 25 tracks on a mix is nothing special at all. And its irrelevant when you get to mastering, because mastering is generally working with a two track mix (maybe you're doing surround of some sort, but thats pretty rare, lets face it).

Unless you're stem mastering, which is in effect a continuation of the mix, and not really mastering at all in the majority of mastering engineers opinion. In other words the mix is either not quite done yet, or is so off they need stems of groups to fix it.

10 minutes is a pretty long track though, especially with a lot of dynamics that could get pretty involved.

Fascinated to hear it now :D!

Note to self: do not track with a massive hangover!
Last track was the easiest track to record. One tempo. No time change. Nice easy parts with a few fidly bass bits which I nailed.... Yet it took me about 30mins to record one tiny easy part... Stupid jd.
OOur singer is going back in this Sunday to finish the last track as he blew his voice on Saturday

Hi mike, here is some great advice, to everyone for that matter.
i always do this, and has paid off.
ask the engineer so SAVE all the stem files and to put them on a disc/dat or what ever format he has to do this,
or even email them to you.
as once the track has been mixed some places delete them or loose them or what ever
and once they are gone they are gone,
at least if you get them you can mix them at home or at a later date change the guitar or even the singer if you replace the singer, or add more tracks later on,
you will always have them to use or play with,
even if you have to pay him to do this, its worth it !
i wonder how many people wish they had done this in the past ?
dont be one of them. ;)

Edited by funkgod

[quote name='mikebass84' timestamp='1393933139' post='2385901']
Last track was the easiest track to record. One tempo. No time change. Nice easy parts with a few fidly bass bits which I nailed.... Yet it took me about 30mins to record one tiny easy part... Stupid jd.
[/quote]

Told ya :P

Sounds like you enjoyed yourself though :)

• 4 weeks later...