Why become a member? ×

On The Etiquette Of Forgery

Happy Jack

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1393366629' post='2379511']
In that case, the police should definitely be informed of the facts, I should think.
[/quote]

This was a few years back though. I believe its been taken over by new management quite a few times since.
I have no proof of skullduggery in this instance and shall not comment further.

Edited by Hobbayne

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1393366999' post='2379521']
This was a few years back though. I believe its been taken over by new management quite a few times since.
I have no proof of skullduggery in this instance and shall not comment further.[/quote]

So ................ :ph34r: ............. are you saying the only common denominator is you? :lol:

I end up taking about one forged twenty pound note a year and that's after I've done my standard check on them. Regretfully all I can do is look at what it was that fooled me and mark it down to experience.

Do not (especially after talking about it on this forum) try to pass it off, that just makes you a fraudster.

If you are sure that you got it from that pub the by all means talk to them and see what they say. I notice from another post that this has happened from this pub before, if that is so then tell the police, I don't usually bother because by the time I realise it's a fake it's way too late.

Steve

If it's happened twice at the same pub this still does not mean that the pub is passing them on deliberately. They could still be a victim themselves, and someone is targeting them, or they could be knowing obtaining them and using them, or they could be receiving them innocently and then knowingly passing them on.

Not casting nasturtiums, more just musing, but how else would a pub (knowingly or not) get rid of a phoney £50?
Suppliers would most likely be paid by BACS, cash being banked would be spotted immediately (probably) by the cashier, any staff working a few hours paid cash wouldn't want a £50 & staff on longer hours would also be paid by BACS.

edit: apart from making several investments <_< in my local over the years, I know virtually donald-all about the workings of a pub.

Edited by Big_Stu

Well, the band talked it through after rehearsal last night.

We've decided to take the hit and move on. We re-divi'd up the money but now based on £150 instead of £200.

I've ended up holding on to the fake. I've just gone out and bought a perspex picture frame, a couple of screw-eyes, and some picture wire.

By our next gig (this Saturday) the fake £50 will be hanging from one of our PA poles.

When we get paid at the end of the evening, if there are any £50 notes in there I'll point to the fake and say: [i][b]Sorry chum, that's why we don't take them[/b][/i].

Back in my Barman days, which is nearly 20 years ago, we were all told not to go anywhere near a £50 note, the reasoning being given that, the fakes are better than any other note, as the forger can invest a lot more in the production of said note. Not sure how true this is TBH, but you don't really enough of them to be able to make a judgement call, I suspect the suspicion around scottish and NI notes can be linked to similar issues, rather than an ignorance of their legality in England

A little while back I did a private deal for £1250 - which I got cash from the bank for immediately before the meet up. £1K was in £50's - sitting in the guy's front room - he took a minute or so checking each £50 note before he was happy. IIRC rubbing the note on a sheet of white paper - if any red ink comes off onto the paper it's a wrong'n *apparently*! These were all good, as I had expected - having just got them from my usual bank B)

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1393433161' post='2380283']
IIRC rubbing the note on a sheet of white paper - if any red ink comes off onto the paper it's a wrong'n *apparently*!
[/quote]

Close ... but no cigar.

The ink on a genuine £50 note never dries completely.

If you rub one with a piece of white tissue paper, it's [i][b]supposed [/b][/i]to stain!

There is so much fake curency in circulation that the police and banks can't keep appropriate tabs on it. As said previously, not many people including myself, see £50 notes that often so don't really know what they are looking for other than it's feel and general look.

I don't like accepting £50 notes in payment, nor do I accept them from a bank. I find them a complete pain as on the occasions I've tried to spend them they've been refused and I end up having to go into my bank to change them down.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1393427326' post='2380160']
I've just gone out and bought a perspex picture frame, a couple of screw-eyes, and some picture wire.
[/quote]

With the fake £50? So what are you going to put in the frame?

Seriously though, all the fuss made about £50 notes is basically to discredit cash. The government are desperate to get rid of cash entirely so they can 100% keep tabs on what everyone's buying and where. Their justification will be that it will radically reduce tax evasion. This from the very people who evade the most tax themselves! It beggars belief, it really does, and... (cont. p94).

Tax evasion by using cash must be pretty small in the grand scheme of things though. Even if your builder will [s]knock off the VAT[/s] give you a 20% discount for cash, how much does everyone regularly spend on building work or similar?

The really big tax evasion schemes, legal or not, are not likely to involve cash because what can most people do with millions in a suitcase anyway - unless they have a big drugs or gambling habit - or both :lol:

But yes, I can see the why governments would like to see cash disappear.

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1393432240' post='2380259']
As a matter of interest - I don't think it's been mentioned - how did it get proved a fake?
[/quote]

Someone tried to spend it in a shop and it was spotted by the shop-keeper.

On close inspection:[list]
[*]The reflective strip was wider than it should be;
[*]There was no hologram thingy;
[*]The letters spelling "Fifty Pounds" were not slightly embossed;
[*]The watermarked portrait of the Queen appeared to have been drawn by a 12-year-old;
[*]The watermarked "50" contained numbers of different sizes;
[*]The paper was not linen-based and was easily torn.
[/list]
Listed out like that, it sounds as if it should have been easily spotted, right?

Not so.

The manager had a bad cold and left halfway through the last set, thrusting a bundle of rolled-up banknotes into Bluejay's hand (@ Discreet: if you say [u][i][b]one word[/b][/i][/u] I'm coming round to see you :lol: ).

Our first sight of the money was therefore at about 12:30am following the breakdown after the gig, we were all knackered, and it was not a particularly well-lit pub.

And besides, the dodgy note was given to MacDaddy. :D

Besides which, I've tried it out on a number of people in broad daylight with the very fact of the question itself dropping a pretty broad hint.

No one has yet spotted anything.

Until I tell them it's a fake, whereupon it's all: "[color=#0000ff]Y'know, I [i][b]thought [/b][/i]it felt funny / looked a bit strange / didn't seem right[/color]".