Why become a member? ×

Made A Real Tw#t Of Myself Last Night

Mr Stinky

I went to see a band play last night, most of the members are old buddies.

In the second set, i was summoned to do a 'special guest' spot. The consumption of four pints wasn't too much of an issue, but as i strapped on this very nice Musicman, the intro riff to She Sells Sanctuary started and i realised the neck was easily a foot above where normally play. The result was only slightly better than if i'd tried to play it left handed.

Never in the history of pub covers bands, has one well known song ever been ripped apart so comprehensibly.
I'm so embarrassed!

Feel for you.

Maybe it has something to do with that particular model. I was handed one at a open mic night and played along very badly to Dakota, felt a total fool. The weight threw me, the action was way high and the strap was far too long for me, so the bass was all low slung rock stylee.

:blush:

You're not alone - my most embarrassing musical moment was when I foolishly volounteered to play a song at a jazz jam night after way too many beers. I could probably have handled 'Blue Bossa' or 'So What' in that state, but definitely not Charlie Parker's 'Blues For Alice'. It was such a train wreck that they stopped the song :blush: :blush:

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1393182908' post='2377096']
Different bass, no probs, 5 or 6 strings instead of 4, I`ll cope, action too high, workable, strap too high, defeated. I could deal with a strap being too low but too high, no way.
[/quote]

Phew! (Wipes brow)
I agree with 'too low', you can lean over a bit more.
The regular bassist is an ex jazz guitarist, which would explain the short strap. It felt like wearing one of Madonna's stage bras.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1393183413' post='2377112']
You're not alone - my most embarrassing musical moment was when I foolishly volounteered to play a song at a jazz jam night after way too many beers. I could probably have handled 'Blue Bossa' or 'So What' in that state, but definitely not Charlie Parker's 'Blues For Alice'. It was such a train wreck that they stopped the song :blush: :blush:
[/quote]

I guess I was lucky that they were all good mates, and managed to carry me through it. Must have been a nightmare for them trying to keep time.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1393191760' post='2377251']
Every bass I'm handed by someone else to play is [i]always [/i]at least a foot too high up - not because I play in a low-slung rock stylee, but because my strap has to be quite long so as to accommodate my muscular frame. :mellow:
[/quote]

Couldn't you just take it off and prop it up in the corner? :P

I had a similar thing happen to me. I was asked to get up with the band for a song, and just as the drummer counted the song in I looked down at the neck and went 'FECK, IT'S A FIVE STRING!!!'. I'd never played a fiver before and almost had a panic attack.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1393191760' post='2377251']
Every bass I'm handed by someone else to play is [i]always [/i]at least a foot too high up - not because I play in a low-slung rock stylee, but because my strap has to be quite long so as to accommodate my muscular frame. :mellow:
[/quote]

You're lucky, I need a long strap to go over the belly!

[quote](or sitting down in the bus, on a seat still warm from the previous occupant). [/quote]y
Unless Kylie Minogue was the previous occupant, in which case you'd be fighting me for that particular seat!

I messed up at the last open mic by offering to play on a song I'd never even heard before. Copy of lyrics with guitar chords was supplied, and I made up a simple swing style bassline and followed the key changes. Went fine until I realised the song lyrics ran to two pages and I'd only be given Page 1! The second half of the song was crap, I was watching the guitarist and trying to follow the root notes, it did not all go to plan.

Cheers,
Rich

I did this a couple of weeks ago, popped into a jam session on way back from somewhere, no bass and did not intend to play. However got badgered into doing a quick set and was loaned a bass. Six stringer, never even played a five before. No matter how much i kept telling myself to 'just ignore the top and bottom strings' (it was BEADGC tuned) it was a mess. It brought home to me how much i play without really looking at what I'm doing, so my fingers were just naturally going to the 'correct' position for strings on one of my own basses but which would be the wrong one on the 6-string with very tight string spacing. The G string was exactly where the D string is on all my own basses. I was out of there within 5 mins of playing my last note!

I feel for you mate. :(

I know this feeling (but it never happened in front of audience, as I'm a home player): each time I'm given a new bass, I have a hard time adjusting and mess everything up. The only exceptions to this rule are narrow necked (MiJ/CiJ usually) P-Basses/Tele Basses and the late Ibanez JTKB200 which felt like crafted for me.

I feel you pain brother. Back in the 80s, my band was beginning to get a bit of local recognition and we were offered a gig at my fave venue The Warehouse. We were a tad giddy. On the night though, we had to be there at about 6. Went on at about 12 by which time I was completely pissed. Needless to say, I was awful. I remember thinking that someone was way out of key, yes....was me.....shame

Needless to say, we were never asked back, the band fell out with me and as a result I now never drink ever when gigging. Oh ...... the 80s.....

[quote name='Immo' timestamp='1393239787' post='2377580']
I feel for you mate. :(

I know this feeling (but it never happened in front of audience, as I'm a home player): each time I'm given a new bass, I have a hard time adjusting and mess everything up. The only exceptions to this rule are narrow necked (MiJ/CiJ usually) P-Basses/Tele Basses and the late Ibanez JTKB200 which felt like crafted for me.
[/quote]

My neck is narrow, it's a 90's Carvin and I love it. I had a go on a friends Yamaha, does S2000 sound right? It felt like an ironing board and had telegraph wires for strings. The neck dive was appalling as well.
No idea how he played it, but he hated mine. He said it felt like playing a pencil.

I'll insist on prior warning for a guest spot in future and hide mine on stage somewhere.

Edited by Mr Stinky

I remember being asked to play three songs, I can't even remember what they were, with an unknown bass that had no strap. I didn't know the songs but was given the music, which I couldn't read. I played leaning against a table so I could support the bass on my thighs and had the music on the table behind me. It did not go well but the crowd of pensioners we were playing to loved it and asked us to keep playing and we ended up just playing the same three songs again. Fortunately I was able to hide my face while looking at the music behind me.

[quote name='Bassmonkey' timestamp='1393240270' post='2377585']
I feel you pain brother. Back in the 80s, my band was beginning to get a bit of local recognition and we were offered a gig at my fave venue The Warehouse. We were a tad giddy. On the night though, we had to be there at about 6. Went on at about 12 by which time I was completely pissed. Needless to say, I was awful. I remember thinking that someone was way out of key, yes....was me.....shame

Needless to say, we were never asked back, the band fell out with me and as a result I now never drink ever when gigging. Oh ...... the 80s.....
[/quote]

Similar "too drunk to bass" story. I was once got so drunk I forgot how to play Wishing Well, and fell backwards onto my arse and sat leant back against the guitarist's 4x12 in a drunken stupor. I'm not proud of myself, and was quickly kicked out of the band.