Why become a member? ×

'Exotic' cabs in the mainstream

coasterbass

[quote name='alexclaber' post='236715' date='Jul 10 2008, 05:32 PM']Endorsements, riders and really nice PA systems. How much does your cab matter when you have a full-size PA?

Alex[/quote]
play louder and get ear defenders

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='240074' date='Jul 15 2008, 02:33 PM']I have three drivers for using "exotic" kit (none of which have anything to do with what the pro's use).

The first is that a bad workman blames his tools. When something sounds wrong, the easy temptation is to blame the bass/amp/cab/strings/cable/phase of the moon/whatever. I stop myself from doing that by buying kit that I KNOW to be of a higher quality than my playing. :) If it sounds wrong, it just means that I need to practise more.

The second is that it's many years since I could afford to ignore back/neck pains. All of my kit is selected at least partly on the basis of how lightweight it is, hence my interest in Hofner and Bass Collection basses, Eden WT heads, and Eden Nemesis cabs. The only exception is my pair of Eden XLT210 cabs which I bought because ... well, just because really. So much for theory, then.

The third follows on from the second. One of the few consolations of being this old (i.e. 51) is that I now have more money than talent. I buy expensive boutique kit partly because I can afford it.

And I'm worth it. :brow:[/quote]

+1
+1
and I am prepared to save fo ras long as it takes...

[quote name='alexclaber' post='236715' date='Jul 10 2008, 05:32 PM']How much does your cab matter when you have a full-size PA?

Alex[/quote]

Alas full-size PAs are a luxury on my local pub ciruit. Firstly there is rarely room. Sometimes you're are lucky if you have any vocal foldback and as for putting a bass through the PA? Hah! The only time I've ever used a decent PA has been at outdoor festivals and a few major venues that have their own house systems and engineers.

In most cases your amp is your backline and monitor and if you want to sound right and hear yourself then it's your personal responsibility to get the level and the EQ right because no-one else is going to help you. That's when decent gear helps.

Nicely put Happy Jack, I'm with you 100%.

[quote name='obbm' post='240121' date='Jul 15 2008, 03:23 PM']Alas full-size PAs are a luxury on my local pub ciruit. Firstly there is rarely room. Sometimes you're are lucky if you have any vocal foldback and as for putting a bass through the PA? Hah! The only time I've ever used a decent PA has been at outdoor festivals and a few major venues that have their own house systems and engineers.

In most cases your amp is your backline and monitor and if you want to sound right and hear yourself then it's your personal responsibility to get the level and the EQ right because no-one else is going to help you. That's when decent gear helps.

Nicely put Happy Jack, I'm with you 100%.[/quote]

Absolutely. For us working stiffs, semi-pros or typical originals acts then you can't always rely on the PA for FOH, you certainly can't rely on the PA for monitoring and roadies are a figment of the imagination.

I'm pondering a small midrange cab with highpass filter to put on top of my rig and point at the drummer so that he can actually hear what I'm playing when I'm not going through the monitors.

Alex

I love this thread. It's all finger in the air stuff with people making wide sweeping statements of which they have no experience. There are more players in say WOTs situation than Glastonbury. Most of the meatheads playing at Glastonbury wouldn't even know the difference between an exotic cab and a POS. Stick an Ampeg sticker on it. It'll be fine.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='240156' date='Jul 15 2008, 04:01 PM']I'm pondering a small midrange cab with highpass filter to put on top of my rig and point at the drummer so that he can actually hear what I'm playing when I'm not going through the monitors.[/quote]

I've been thinking of running a second signal to a mini GK combo or my mini Eden/Acme rig for the exact same reason.

U see AMPEG at all the Festivals etc coz they're a reliable good choice that MOST touring players will be happy with. Can't have 20 bands worth of gear there. If -eg. a festival organiser has 2 bergantino NV cabs onstage & a Mark bass amp he MAY get a few(probly Lots) of band members requiring his time & complaining thet they use "..... not Damn .....!!!" So Ampeg SVT-CL is a standard & good all tube amp-powerful enough for most situ's & the Ampeg 8x10 is also!!!! Problem doesn't arise-organisers time is free to do ..........

Now for ME, I use Berg. NV 610 cab or a NV215 cab coz I like to sound great! AND I CAN tell the difference between that & a diferent cab. & believe me & BFM & others-cabs aint cabs!!!!!!! If they were WHY would the Berg. AE410 cab sound SO much better than most other 410's-(better/different-take yo pick)
For me- the 610 sounds far superior to an Ampeg 810, & is SUCH a great cab it helps my rock band sound great!

The choice of using a Schroeder 1212L was because of a couple of things:

Its light so I can carry it with one hand

Its small so I can easily get in the car.

Its punchy and powerrful enough to go from being my monitor one nght to using it out front at a pub gig.

It is the best sounding cab i have ever owned.

I suppose you could say that there is snobbery value in it to say that I am not using one of the regular run of the mill cabs but have dared to wander past Ampeg/Peavey/etc. I believe that I am using something much better than any of these mass produced items having tried many of them beforehand and never been satisfied ith the sound/weight/efficiency

Another reason that I believe that most musicians use Fender/peavey/etc is that they are the tried and tested companies. Much like somene will go for a Fender or a Gibson guitar rather than something they have never head of before.

Its generally only people like us who are members of forums and interested in new and different products and a very small number of others who will generally go out on a limb and try these 'exotic' items. I believe that the vast majority of musicians have no interest in trying anything other than their mass manufactured gear.

The proof lies in going to see other bands. I've never been to a gig and seen anyone with a Schroeder cab, in fact I've never met anyone with a GK amp either.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='241745' date='Jul 17 2008, 01:43 PM']The proof lies in going to see other bands. I've never been to a gig and seen anyone with a Schroeder cab[/quote]

Ive not even seen one on TV.

I remember going in to the Bass Centre (yeah, ok i know) and Denmark st a couple of years ago and asking if they sold Schroeder and no one had ever heard of them.

[quote name='truegeminis' post='241764' date='Jul 17 2008, 02:02 PM']To Schroeder cab owners: Did you find a UK distributor or ship directly from the U.S.?[/quote]

Both.
My 1210R came direct from Jorg as back then you couldnt get them over here and my 1212L came from SHX music a few weeks ago.
Price wise they worked out about the same although getting it here was a lot easier as getting it from Jorg means you have to transfer the money in to his bank account as you cant just order on-line from him.

Either way you get the full backup from him.

[quote name='rodl2005' post='241473' date='Jul 17 2008, 07:32 AM']U see AMPEG at all the Festivals etc coz they're a reliable good choice that MOST touring players will be happy with. Can't have 20 bands worth of gear there. If -eg. a festival organiser has 2 bergantino NV cabs onstage & a Mark bass amp he MAY get a few(probly Lots) of band members requiring his time & complaining thet they use "..... not Damn .....!!!" So Ampeg SVT-CL is a standard & good all tube amp-powerful enough for most situ's & the Ampeg 8x10 is also!!!! Problem doesn't arise-organisers time is free to do ..........[/quote]

Do you speak English too?

Of course, this just isn't true. Players have terms of agreement with their endorsements that make it a requirement that they are seen using the right equipment.

[quote name='rodl2005' post='241473' date='Jul 17 2008, 07:32 AM']Now for ME, I use Berg. NV 610 cab or a NV215 cab coz I like to sound great! AND I CAN tell the difference between that & a diferent cab. & believe me & BFM & others-cabs aint cabs!!!!!!! If they were WHY would the Berg. AE410 cab sound SO much better than most other 410's-(better/different-take yo pick)
For me- the 610 sounds far superior to an Ampeg 810, & is SUCH a great cab it helps my rock band sound great![/quote]

OK, can you provide a list of ALL the cabs that you have auditioned to come to such an opinion. Of course, what works for a rock band doesn't mean it will work for every style of band.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='241766' date='Jul 17 2008, 02:09 PM']Both.
My 1210R came direct from Jorg as back then you couldnt get them over here and my 1212L came from SHX music a few weeks ago.
Price wise they worked out about the same although getting it here was a lot easier as getting it from Jorg means you have to transfer the money in to his bank account as you cant just order on-line from him.

Either way you get the full backup from him.[/quote]

Thanks, that's good to know. Now all I have to do is find a spare £600! :)

[quote name='truegeminis' post='241940' date='Jul 17 2008, 05:24 PM']Thanks, that's good to know. Now all I have to do is find a spare £600! :)[/quote]

Good luck. It will be worth it.
Im sure there will be 12xx cabs poping up for sale here every now and then.
Things seem to get passed around a lot from what i can see.