Why become a member? ×

I dont get it

ARGH

Hey, this sounds kind of familiar.

But , I know that in my case it's because I play a bass that has more than the 'normal' amount of strings, and is kind of an odd shape.

I've auditioned for about 10 bands in the last couple of months, all function bands with loads of gigs booked, all to no avail.
I can read music, I learn stuff really fast, I have transport, pro gear etc.

One keys player said 'Wow, what is that, I don't even think it's physically possible to play that is it ?'.

I just thought.......... knob.

He's stood behind a whole stack of keyboards, thinking he's Rick Wakeman or someone, drinking a can of Redstripe, sorry make that middle aged knob.

To be honest I wouldn't have played for them anyway.

Two others have said that they were 'looking for someone with a more traditional outlook'.

I do play in two bands anyway, so I'm not too fussed, but it is kind of annoying.

You'll eventually find like minded musicians to play with.

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='234437' date='Jul 7 2008, 07:49 PM']Hey, this sounds kind of familiar.

But , I know that in my case it's because I play a bass that has more than the 'normal' amount of strings, and is kind of an odd shape.

I've auditioned for about 10 bands in the last couple of months, all function bands with loads of gigs booked, all to no avail.
I can read music, I learn stuff really fast, I have transport, pro gear etc.

One keys player said 'Wow, what is that, I don't even think it's physically possible to play that is it ?'.

I just thought.......... knob.

He's stood behind a whole stack of keyboards, thinking he's Rick Wakeman or someone, drinking a can of Redstripe, sorry make that middle aged knob.

To be honest I wouldn't have played for them anyway.

Two others have said that they were 'looking for someone with a more traditional outlook'.

I do play in two bands anyway, so I'm not too fussed, but it is kind of annoying.

You'll eventually find like minded musicians to play with.[/quote]

Yep ,been there,Ive even worn different clothes for each audition (leather on a world gig...I dont think so).

What is a traditional outlook? Uninspired 'dead' guy at the back that never smiles or escapes root-5th?...
Im blessed with the coversguys Im with because they wont let me onstage with anything less than 6 strings now (thats a buzz). I can add that EVERY keys player Ive played with has asked If ive got a 5 string,and encourages me to play one.

Edited by ARGH

[quote name='ARGH' post='234425' date='Jul 7 2008, 06:33 PM']Where are they? Really....Where the f*** do they hang? Because Ive been looking for them nationwide,and all I find is different levels of c**ts.

The older Gen round here just want to play covers,or wont do ANYTHING unless its for money..seriously..the love of playing,the challenge of writing has gone. Its utterly dead.

I was chatting to the Good Dr (Dave) the other day about originals bands have no stamina they blow out at 1/2 to 1hr onstage,I can keep going all evening,and get up and do it again...night after night...Hell Ive earnt it..the 4 walls I own has been mostly paid by music. Ive got the transport,the gear.....the 'Hair',the knowledge,as it were...I learn fast,I play tight and well (ok..I THINK its well,but yourself aint the great barometer for how good you are). And after near 2 decades of playing,its just become a job...

How does Modification affect the price of a Yankee P Bass?[/quote]

There's more tripe than caviar....deal with it :)

Keep at it but cheer up, it's not all lost.
I've had a drummer who want's to be with his girlfriend and two guitarists, one who was waiting in for something, moving house, tired yadda, yadda and the other who thought we were making a rambling noise, because he had never jammed a part out to try different phrasings and rythmns. :)
I started to get paranoid and think that I was crap, there is the key. BELIEVE IN YOURSELF.
You WILL meet like minded people, god knows, I still believe. :huh:

[quote name='silddx' post='234451' date='Jul 7 2008, 08:03 PM']I wear leather in my world gig, and the words are sung in Zulu!

Castleford? Thought of moving to a more happ'nin' place? Not saying anything bad about Castleford you understand.[/quote]
The nice American and I were discussing this..and .....yes I consider this,property is only object after all. I look at study in Florida..Canada..Germany..Texas.
But its pricey,and I have nightmares of everytime Ive turned up for an interview at a Uni/college....but its just a consideration....

Anyone wanna buy some pedals?

Sounds like you've had a sh*tty time of it - it can be a massive downer - all I can say is that playing bass saw me through some tough times and now times are good - so stickign at it cos you love it is actually important. What I have 'discovered' in my 25 odd years of playing is that A. working with people you like, respect even, makes life a lot easier and actually makes the music BETTER. B. playing you music you don't really like - or are doing for the sake of a suposed 'lucky break' - record deal - money... is a fast way to fall out of love with the real reasons you wanted to play bass in the first place.

I have no idea how you get around/over your anger at your current situation - but getting back to basics - actively seeking out some musical challenges, rediscovering your love of the bass and music and finding some genuine reasons to carry on playing would be a start. take some risks - venture into the unknown, try something different - jazz or classical - folk, electronic music etc - (whatever) - being involved with music at a good level is life mission - just because you haven't clicked with the right people yet doesn't mean it's over - you just need to keep looking.

Quick edit - I've also recently started to find new reasons to play beyond the stuff I did years ago - I won't go into those now - but they mainly DON'T involve playing complicated technical bass - that's just my hobby!

Best I can do I'm afraid - hope it helps - good luck

Mike

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='234469' date='Jul 7 2008, 08:38 PM']I was thinking on going on one of Victor Wooten's camps for a bit of sideways thinking about playing. I'm a pro (classically trained), but I still don't believe I know everything :)

What kind of music do you really want to play, ARGH?[/quote]
My heart beats to the volume of Metal,as much as I hide,and like other stuff....my tone always needs a little dirt and distortion.

[quote name='ARGH' post='234483' date='Jul 7 2008, 08:55 PM']My heart beats to the volume of Metal,as much as I hide,and like other stuff....my tone always needs a little dirt and distortion.[/quote]

Ahh, so does mine! But my pop and world gigs get me off hugely, just as much as when I was in a band called Fister, which I am sure you can guess was pretty f*cking heavy ;-)

I think you need to get back into yourself. If you are prepared to move to somewhere with a metal happening going on, you can do it, as long as you are good, which I imagine you are in spades, and sweat damn hard in rehearsal.

Get a good night's sleep, don't drink no sh*t, and keep that up for a week. You need to chill the f*ck out :)

We'll get you through this mate, just keep posting your feelings and we'll connect.

Cheers!

my heart beats to the pulse of classic rock and some of the metal atuff, korn, system of a down etc..

aargh its a temporary situation and you really need to face those demons!

I'm in an original band at the moment that is very in the vein of this rubbish indie rock feckin nonsense and I'm bored! My first son as born eight years ago. I have been out of playing forseven of those years and my playing is sh*t...but it is now getting back to where it was ten years ago and I know yearn to be back playing in y original 80's rock band....

andy

Art college is a funny experience. You think, when you go that you spend 4 years learnig to be good at art. All the technical skills, all the knowledge.
But it doesnt end up like that.
If you go all the way down that route you end up making art for other artists, art that nobody likes- technically and conceptionaly brilliant but with a stinkof death to it. And you graduate and sit there in your death mask genius.
Striving so hard for something you won't get, cos your striving disqualifies you- and as someone once sang 'ambition makes you look pretty ugly'

But thats not what most folk end up doing. Mostly you spend 4 years learning with people boncing off other folk. Some you agree with, others not. Learning how to make art and also make art that comunicates.
Its not about money, or fame, or being brilliant.
Its about communicating, fun, and spending time making things, in the gap between you and me. Thoes relationships where thing happen out of the joy of creation.
Its the buzz of getting a load of people who you kinda respect and making thing happen that wouldn't otherwise and showing that to some of the 6 billion of us.
With the motto (glasgow accent) "juz do eit!"

Music at its best shares a lot of the same attitudes.

Yeah,this is a bad one,Ive just woken up,and Im still angry. And it isnt my Bipolar either,I actually have a reason,and Im still pissed.

Phoned my guitar playing friend and ranted,he understands,Im gonna take 6 months out,mothball my gear,think about my options ,both socially and educationally,probably quit...take the money and run. You cant lose if you dont take part.

[quote name='ARGH' post='234700' date='Jul 8 2008, 07:59 AM']Yeah,this is a bad one,Ive just woken up,and Im still angry. And it isnt my Bipolar either,I actually have a reason,and Im still pissed.

Phoned my guitar playing friend and ranted,he understands,Im gonna take 6 months out,mothball my gear,think about my options ,both socially and educationally,probably quit...take the money and run. You cant lose if you dont take part.[/quote]

Having met you briefly (I was too busy organising all these wonderful bassists), you came across as a really sound and friendly guy (and that's not damning you with faint praise!).
True, "you can't lose if you don't take part, but (triteness alert), " you can't win if you're not in".
Why not put the bass(es) on the backburner for a while and do something else for the summer?
I've found opportunity sometimes presents itself when least expected and sometimes pushing for it is not always the answer.
If you need anyone to baby-sit the 9'er.....
Sorry if this all sounds irritatingly simplistic!

If 6 months is what you think you need to either stop playing music...or fall in love with it again, then you should take it! Because it isn't that long in the grand scheme of things.

Sometimes I'll feel a little stale perhaps, but that's with myself rather than bass/music usually, so I simply won't pick up my bass in the week between my various weekend gigs, I concentrate on living out the other parts of my life and by the time I go to play the gig, I'm revitalised. Different scale too what you're going through, but I reckon within a month, You'll want to get back out there! Remember, music is about life.

With regards to finding a decent originals band, just keep an eye of all your decent local metal acts on myspace, usually if one of them needs a member, they'll advertise it in their name, for example: 'Rotting Flesh Garment [bass player needed]', plenty of friends I know have gotten gigs by just keeping their eyes peeled and talking a lot with bands...being a fan.

But what exactly are you looking for? A decent metal band who is doing well will be on the road 6 months of the year!! Can you afford to do that?. If not, If, like some, you have to be teaching and doing covers shows every week and weekend to pay the bills then perhaps you should change your expectations too a studio project or look for a more challenging and exciting covers band!

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='234921' date='Jul 8 2008, 01:04 PM']If 6 months is what you think you need to either stop playing music...or fall in love with it again, then you should take it! Because it isn't that long in the grand scheme of things.

Sometimes I'll feel a little stale perhaps, but that's with myself rather than bass/music usually, so I simply won't pick up my bass in the week between my various weekend gigs, I concentrate on living out the other parts of my life and by the time I go to play the gig, I'm revitalised. Different scale too what you're going through, but I reckon within a month, You'll want to get back out there! Remember, music is about life.

With regards to finding a decent originals band, just keep an eye of all your decent local metal acts on myspace, usually if one of them needs a member, they'll advertise it in their name, for example: 'Rotting Flesh Garment [bass player needed]', plenty of friends I know have gotten gigs by just keeping their eyes peeled and talking a lot with bands...being a fan.

But what exactly are you looking for? A decent metal band who is doing well will be on the road 6 months of the year!! Can you afford to do that?. If not, If, like some, you have to be teaching and doing covers shows every week and weekend to pay the bills then perhaps you should change your expectations too a studio project or look for a more challenging and exciting covers band!

Si[/quote]

Good words, man!

I got fed up with it all too and decided I would sell all my gear except an acoustic guitar and an old Jazz bass. I bought a fast motorcycle and hooked up with a load of bikers on a regular basis. It was great fun, but within a few months I was back into playing again and all the best things in music have happened to me since.

If you've been looking for gigs in the Leeds area... then you're right it's full of horrible scenesters and the standard of music generally ain't great. The adverts onLeedsMusicScene often ask for 'the right image' etc. Maybe just write some stuff at home while taking a break?

Edited by Adrenochrome

It sounds like you're getting frustrated because you're putting a lot in and not getting much out of it. I don't think a radical move is really necessary here. How about a slight retreat from your current efforts and take another approach? Instead of auditioning, why not just get your face known around the scene and become an 'interested gig goer'. Check out some bands and get talking to the musicians. Think of it like auditioning without playing your bass. If you feel comfortable with them then mention that you play bass and are looking for a band. Don't put any pressure on them or yourself to get the gig. Let the gig come to you.

Not going to make any friends here, but... I probably wouldn't hire a bassist who turned up with a 6-string.

But what I mean is if you're turning up for a spot on someone else's gig, you need to be the person they want or you won't get the gig. If you don't ever seem to fit anyone's criteria then I suppose you can either change yourself to fit someone's idea of the ideal bass player, or stop responding to wanted ads and do your own thing.

It sounds like you're a pretty creative guy, you understand music, you want to do originals - why not put some demos together of your own stuff and start advertising for bandmates yourself? When I moved to York I didn't really know any musicians around here, couldn't find any like-minded types anywhere so that's what I did. That little gig is slow-going to be honest - a nice bunch with talent but other commitments and very little free time - but I did at least meet more people through them who introduced me to more people and so on.

Actually the (main) band I'm currently working with was set up on word of mouth recommendations for the most part, and it turned out the singer (who's our sort-of unofficial leader) lives literally around the corner from me. So you never know, you might have somebody right on your doorstep who you could be making music with.

Edited by thisnameistaken

Just read this topic and though I'm Belgian it also sounds familiar around here...
For me it's a bit of a different situation but the feeling's the same. I have been fortunate to play with well known bands around here for the last twenty years and have had great times.
Lately I feel that the music scene changed a lot and that everyone is hanging onto what he's got and that the smoothness of making music has disappeared and that making money and playing covers (out of safety reasons) is what it's all about..
That has off course always been important but the true spirit of making music and taking risks is difficult to find anymore. Hidden agenda's, hypocrite behaviour, cheap solutions, fake smiles and superficial friendship is all that I can see..
Because I have trouble with these items I have less gigs and it's hard not to become cynical but I still try to find comfort in the instrument itself. I still love playing bass (because that's what it's all about) and I use the time that I have to get better...is it not for a band or a project than it's just for me since it's only me that I have to challenge and surprise. Maybe times will change again and there'll come another opportunity to meet and play with musicians with the same spirit ? I don't know but nothing can stop me from playing bass. I can improve my fretless, I can work on chords, etc...there is so much to do and I don't need a band to get me going although it's always nice to get a good groove going with fellow musicians..
This is all just a passing fase so I wouldn't sell anything..I think I know the feeling and it always turned out ok in the end (sorry for my English, I try to do my best...) Good luck !

are you, in fact, rubbish?

do you have b.o.?

...........just a thought :)

seriously, it can be very frustrating - manys the time i've thought of selling all my gear on ebay too! how old are you again? when you get to a certain age (30ish +) it can be much harder to find an originals band as most people by then are happy just doing covers and younger bands have to consider the image side of things to be taken seriously. i'm also in an area which is pretty dead when it comes to finding decent musicians and it can be very annoying.

how about trying something different? - treat yourself to an electronic drumkit or something, may give you a new lease of musical life... or start doing some home recording etc. or how about some kind of online collaboration - in this broadband age surely you can hook up with musicians from miles away and work on some material online?

peace

c

[quote name='wombatboter' post='235008' date='Jul 8 2008, 02:53 PM']Just read this topic and though I'm Belgian it also sounds familiar around here...
For me it's a bit of a different situation but the feeling's the same. I have been fortunate to play with well known bands around here for the last twenty years and have had great times.
Lately I feel that the music scene changed a lot and that everyone is hanging onto what he's got and that the smoothness of making music has disappeared and that making money and playing covers (out of safety reasons) is what it's all about..
That has off course always been important but the true spirit of making music and taking risks is difficult to find anymore. Hidden agenda's, hypocrite behaviour, cheap solutions, fake smiles and superficial friendship is all that I can see..
Because I have trouble with these items I have less gigs and it's hard not to become cynical but I still try to find comfort in the instrument itself. I still love playing bass (because that's what it's all about) and I use the time that I have to get better...is it not for a band or a project than it's just for me since it's only me that I have to challenge and surprise. Maybe times will change again and there'll come another opportunity to meet and play with musicians with the same spirit ? I don't know but nothing can stop me from playing bass. I can improve my fretless, I can work on chords, etc...there is so much to do and I don't need a band to get me going although it's always nice to get a good groove going with fellow musicians..
This is all just a passing fase so I wouldn't sell anything..I think I know the feeling and it always turned out ok in the end (sorry for my English, I try to do my best...) Good luck ![/quote]

I'm sad to hear that, I'd always heard that the mainland European music scene was a bit healthier than ours.

Your English is better than a lot of the native-English speakers I know :-)