Why become a member? ×

I had a P in my dream

JapanAxe

In the early hours of this morning, in the confusion of a semi-feverish state brought on by a bout of man-flu (i.e. a cold), it seemed vitally important to me that I should acquire, without delay, a well-worn Precision in cream with torty pickguard. Now I'm not sure I've even seen this finish on an actual Fender P (although the likes of Sandberg will rustle one up to order), so do they exist, or was it all just a dream? And do/did they come in fretless, preferably lined?

[Btw, when I woke up, the bed was dry, and Patrick Duffy did [i]not[/i] emerge from the shower.]

[quote name='adam87' timestamp='1392406353' post='2368463']
Something like scott devines?

[media]http://youtu.be/eoVfamlcbYo[/media]
[/quote]

Aha! That'll be it then.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1392406420' post='2368465']
Something like this ?
[url="http://www.vintageandrare.com/product/Fender-Precision-Cream-37584"]http://www.vintagean...ion-Cream-37584[/url]
[/quote]

No, it had a rosewood board and was more white/cream than yellow.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1392410841' post='2368557']
Aha! That'll be it then.

No, it had a rosewood board and was more white/cream than yellow.
[/quote] Don`t a lot of the old cream Fenders turn a weird colour? I think i read somewhere it was called banana yellow or something similar

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1392411332' post='2368569']
Don`t a lot of the old cream Fenders turn a weird colour? I think i read somewhere it was called banana yellow or something similar
[/quote]

Dunno but that seems like a reason to go for the re-issue. That and the £5k+ price difference.

Don`t a lot of the old cream Fenders turn a weird colour? I think i read somewhere it was called banana yellow or something similar
[/quote]

... as opposed to 'banana skin yellow', maybe..? Bananas aren't bright yellow, they're a kind of cream, methinks.

[/quote]

A lot of Oly white Fenders turned creamy over the years, like mine did. It's degradation of the poly coat.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1392424428' post='2368757']
A lot of Oly white Fenders turned creamy over the years, like mine did. It's degradation of the poly coat.

[/quote]

Now I like that in its own way. Strangely it has a kind of faded 80s vibe.

Btw no basses in last night's dream. This time I was out cycling, and visited a small independent book-shop in the Old Town area of Swindon. The proprietor pointed me to the philosophy section as requested, where I selected a pair of comfy sensible black shoes. I chose not to wear them straight away for fear the toe clips on my bike would scratch them. When I got home I found I had bought (and was wearing) a pair of pink and grey striped trousers, which were greeted with mirth and derision by friends and family alike. Oops - hijacked my own thread there!

[quote name='adam87' timestamp='1392424010' post='2368755']
I've never been keen on P basses, hated them in fact. Always prefered jazz. But I do like the one Scott has! It sounds awesome too. Has changed my mind on them slightly!
[/quote]

Yep, rolling the tone right off is (imo) one of the acid tests for a good P - if it doesn't sound monstrous, walk away.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1392424428' post='2368757']

[/quote] Mine is exactly the same, it's weird I always wanted an Olympic White Precision with black pick guard and a maple neck, so I wind up with what is now a banana yellow bass....still love it though

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1392466366' post='2369048']
My current main bass is a 2012 US Standard creamy-white P with a tort guard and rosewood board, definitely a classic combo.
[/quote]

Tried one today in my local music shop - it definitely has what it takes!

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1392466591' post='2369052']
Check my avatar.
[/quote]

Elvis had one too?

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='adam87' timestamp='1392424010' post='2368755']
I've never been keen on P basses, hated them in fact. Always prefered jazz. But I do like the one Scott has! It sounds awesome too. Has changed my mind on them slightly!
[/quote]

I was the same once…
Now I use only P basses.