Why become a member? ×

Best amp/accessory for home practice

rob_89

Im after an amp or accesory that will enable me play my bass (obviously) through headphones at the same time having an input for ipod/mp3 player to be able to play along to songs and hear it all ar good quality without disturbing my son after bedtime and the missus downstairs....
Any suggestions for something that will achieve this with a fair quality:price ratio?
Cheers!

Thanks for all the suggestions so far...merton ive heard the iphone rig is no so good for bass, do you suggest otherwise?
And regards the PJB, i looked at the Cub or double four thinking it will do what i want plus has speakers for the odd opportunity id be able to play through them...how does the buddy compare price wise etc?

The CUB is a great little thing, and will do what you want into phones or speakers. It is barely useful outside the house, which is a shame. Not quite enough volume for all but the most intimate gigs. I use a Cafe Walter headphone amp when I need to learn stuff without disturbing the family..not cheap but gets the job done very well.

It's good to have something with a battery, you end up with too many leads otherwise. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVCJFE3bW9A this clips into your belt so you can move around whilst playing. I have one and I'd recommend it but the gain is just a touch on the low side, does the job though.

My favourite is an old battery powered mixer for dubbing sound onto VHS tapes. You might find something similar if you are lucky.

In fact I have a small mixer I don't use any more as I replaced with an even smaller USB powered one, I got it given to me off here (cheers ahpook!) so I can send it to you for the cost of postage if you like.

One of these:

It has the power supply and a cloth bag, you'll need a cable to plug your mp3 or whatever in.

If you're looking to kill two birds with one stone, then get an effects board with headphone out and aux in such as the zoom.

For something portable and good quality, korg pandora.

But my absolute favourite for silent practice in terms of sound quality is a good quality amp such as genz streamliner/shuttle....appreciate that no ones going to spend 400 on a head just to use as a headphone amp, but if you have GAS for a new amp anyway then that could be another plus to tip you over the edge!