Why become a member? ×

Advice on unlined fretless playing

Jigster

ha ha - yes, but there is just enough street light to peep in!

[size=4][quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1391375008' post='2356508'][/size]
Nah, even if you hit the right fret, the intonation on a fretless is a far weirder science.

I like the way you think though.

A question if I may, why do you close your eyes and play in the dark.... Surely just one would do the job :P
[size=4][/quote][/size]

Edited by Jigster

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1391376769' post='2356544']
Use your ears.

I just got an unlined fretless yesterday, surprisingly it's easier than I expected it to be.

Also surprisingly I can hear if a note is out even slightly.
[/quote]

sure, that's the next step. what did you buy out of interest?

In answer to the OP, it is just a case of getting used to playing whilst listening to your intonation instead of just assuming you are in tune, the way a fretted bass player does. You don't nbeed to 'practice playing in tune' you need to 'practice lsitening to your intonation'; the difference is subtle but significant. Same with a double bass.

That's a bit of a leap. From never a fretless to 6 stringer fretless. I changed from 4 string fretted to a 6 fretless but had played various fretless basses over the yrs from WAL, Fender, Yamaha to my current Overwater (6er) and Jaydee (4er)

I have to listen and make sure i can hear my fretless when playing to get that intonation as near as damn it.

Nice bass and good luck with your development.

Dave

[quote name='Jigster' timestamp='1391374816' post='2356501']
I've started playing on my fretted bass, but with my eyes closed and in the dark, driven by some insane idea that this might be lay some preparation for playing unlined fretless?

What think ye of such science?
[/quote]
What everyone else said plus play it as you normally would.

Don't set out to play fretless bass, just play bass like you usually would and listen carefully and adjust appropriately.

Play an open E. Then, without looking, find the octave on the other strings in all positions. Check against your open E. Repeat for your other open strings.

Then repeat with the open E, but look for fifths this time. Find all the Bs all over the neck and check against your open string. Repeat for all strings. Repeat again for major thirds, dominant sevenths etc etc... it'll begin to sound like music eventually.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1391447198' post='2357253']
play it as you normally would.
Don't set out to play fretless bass, just play bass like you usually would and listen carefully and adjust appropriately.
[/quote]
Excellent advice.

You already have embedded muscle memory from playing fretted bass. I always found the switch from fretted to unlined fretless surprisingly easy...[i]and tremendous fun.....[/i]trust yourself - your fingers will usually land there or thereabouts by themselves. Let your ears take care of the rest!