Why become a member? ×

Options To Refinish A Bass In The North West?

bagsieblue

Hello Guys,

I would like to get my Warwick Fortress refinished.
It has previously been stripped and refinished - I believe with a Walnut coloured stain. The refinish is a good job but as it is already non original I would like to take the opportunity to strip it back and go for something more to my taste.
If the grain is attractive I would have a clear or slightly tinted laquer/varnish, if the grain is not that special then a painted finish.

Anybody know of any North West based luthiers who could do the work at a reasonable price?

I've tried Steve Robinson and Jack In Salford, both of who have no capacity at the moment to take the work on.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1391286099' post='2355471']
This guy seems very well regarded. Haven't used him myself though...

[url="http://www.dwilsonguitars.com/"]http://www.dwilsonguitars.com/[/url]
[/quote]

I've known and used Dave many times (as have lots in NE/NW), he isn't the cheapest but he is very good!

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1391286928' post='2355481']
I've known and used Dave many times (as have lots in NE/NW), he isn't the cheapest but he is very good!
[/quote]

You've [b][i]known[/i][/b] him many times? :huh: Are you a Buddhist? :D

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1391286928' post='2355481']
[/quote]

Thanks - where is he based (can't see that it is immediately obvious from the website).

I'm in Chorley, so Lancs ish based would be best.

[quote name='bagsieblue' timestamp='1391287320' post='2355487']
Thanks - where is he based (can't see that it is immediately obvious from the website).

I'm in Chorley, so Lancs ish based would be best.
[/quote]

The website is a bit useless isn't it? Although there is a contact mobile phone number. I believe he is somewhere in the Cumberland area... but others who know his work better than me will be able to advise more specifically. :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1391290658' post='2355527']
Dave Wilson is in Haltwistle, east of Carlisle.

There's no-one better... trusted by Mark Knopfler and Stefan Sobel.
[/quote]

I've seen his Sobel work and something he did for a bassist. He'd be my man.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1391287291' post='2355486']
You've [b][i]known[/i][/b] him many times? :huh: Are you a Buddhist? :D
[/quote]

... but you are aware that one doesn't have to be a buddhist to [b][i]know[/i][/b] someone many times, yes?
I seem to remember some medieval litterature (yes, with double "t" - I'm stubborn) where some males "knew" some females quite vigourously.
Of course, I don't condone it.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1391287421' post='2355488']
Brian Eastwood in Bacup (Rossendale Valley) gets my vote.

[url="http://www.brianeastwoodguitars.co.uk"]http://www.brianeastwoodguitars.co.uk[/url][/quote]

I've hearde good things too about his work. Though for the OP I'd be concerned that the walnut stain was in whatever the finish was, rather than an actual wood stain. If the latter you could be talking of a hell of a lot of sanding back to remove it, possibly with uneven results.

Thanks for the input so far guys.

The bass has been in the BC family for some time.
Bass was originally green, I believe bass was stripped back, was natural for a while and now sports a, let's say, darker wood stain.

Previous owner was upfront and honest about the finish, absolutely no issues there. Its good but not excellent.
I'd just like to take the opportunity to do something with it.
Either back to natural with a slightly tinted varnish or a nice painted finish is not an impossibility.