Why become a member? ×

Prince Sues . . .

flyfisher

'One' is splendidly multi-purpose and has spared me all sorts of trouble in the past. But one wonders whether others consider one a perfumed ponce for using it.

Anyhow, back to the artist formerly known as 'the artist formerly known as Prince' (or Mr Squiggle as he was dubbed at the time).

It's been a long journey from the flasher mac (with leggings) to the stately Halls of Justice. That the shimmying sexual acrobat of yore now spends his days trawling the internet for copyright infractions is rather depressing.

Time the conqueror. :(

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1391003787' post='2352136']
I bet he won't follow through. It's an astute bit of publicity, nothing more.
[/quote]
[size=4][quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1391084981' post='2353017'][/size]He's dropped the cases now that the items have been taken down.
[/quote]

I don't like to say 'I told you so', but... :D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1391106754' post='2353386']
Fair enough. But apart from Dad's point, as you specifically quoted me, I assumed (quite reasonably I think) that you were addressing the question to me.

Tricky things forums. ;)

Still, no harm done.
[/quote]

I actually forgot I quoted you, but it was mostly for context rather than a direct response.

So does it make more sense now? :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1391108117' post='2353417']
[size=4]

I don't like to say 'I told you so', but... :D
[/quote]

..."I told you so..!" Yes, alright, clever clogs. Clap clap. Well chuffed, eh..? Such wisdom, so young. Us..? No, we're all flaberghasted at the news. Never saw it coming at all. Well spotted, old chum. :P :lol:

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1391107798' post='2353409']
'One' is splendidly multi-purpose and has spared me all sorts of trouble in the past. But one wonders whether others consider one a perfumed ponce for using it.

Anyhow, back to the artist formerly known as 'the artist formerly known as Prince' (or Mr Squiggle as he was dubbed at the time).

It's been a long journey from the flasher mac (with leggings) to the stately Halls of Justice. That the shimmying sexual acrobat of yore now spends his days trawling the internet for copyright infractions is rather depressing.

Time the conqueror. :(
[/quote]

From what I've heard of him, he sounds like a bit of an arse, and I really don't understand why some people look up to people like that. I give a certain dispensation to fans of certain celebrities (such as Mr. Bieber) because they are usually very young, and easily lead (and often putting looks ahead of genuine humanity).

Although I do doubt that he does all the internet scrolling himself. I'm sure some intern at the label or a legal department does that.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1391109634' post='2353444']
..."I told you so..!" Yes, alright, clever clogs. Clap clap. Well chuffed, eh..? Such wisdom, so young. Us..? No, we're all flaberghasted at the news. Never saw it coming at all. Well spotted, old chum. :P :lol:
[/quote]

Thhhhppp!! :P

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1391109725' post='2353446']
I really don't understand why some people look up to people like that.
[/quote]

The reason why audiences looked [i]up[/i] to Prince was to attempt to catch a visual of his tri-lobal posing pouch and what might lie beneath.

[/quote]

Funny you should mention that. I'm not normally prone to self-consciousness but using 'one', which as you rightly point out is perfect for so many occasions, does seem a tad pretentious. Shame really.

I was and I guess still am, a big fan of Prince's music. However, I'm not quite so sycophantic as a fanatic and realise a lot of his behaviour is very bizarre. I don't think he has lived in a normal world for a long time. His way of life (and I'm not talking about the money) seems so far removed from everyday people. Can he relate to a fan who is obsessed with and just wants to capture all his music? Who know's? Do I agree with the law suit? I haven't read all the details. However, I personally wouldn't illegally download something or knowingly commit a copyright theft. Is it within his rights to protect his art? I'm assuming so and I wouldn't knock anyone who stands up for their rights. I guess it is quite easy to bash Prince because of who he is and people assume he is a fair target because he is rich and famous.

All that aside I have often thought that there is a far more positive thing Prince could do. Many artist have the total right idea by making available all their live concerts and selling them at a reasonable price. With today's technology this is not difficult. Also he could easily make a lot of his unreleased stuff available. With his fan base and what I have read on other forums, I think they would be snapped up by his loyal fans. It seems a win win and I don't know why he doesn't do it. So many artists with a lot less material do an excellent job of engaging their fans. One person I've spoke thinks it his artistic prerogative to do what he likes. Which is fair enough, but I still think he is missing a trick

Good post. I guess there is no such thing as a 'standard' artist/celeb so perhaps it,s not surprising that some end up with inflated egos and up their own arse, which is a real shame because what's the point? They've already been elevated into multi-millionaire star status by their fans so would it really hurt that much to give them a bit of slack when it will not materially affect their own lives one iota? Just a bit of graciousness by way of thanks really. Of course he is legally entitled to protect his stuff but having the law on his side doesn't mean he isn't also just being an arse.

I think there are lots of articles out there saying it is virtually impossible to control the internet and it's information. The Ryan Giggs scandal for example. It seems the NSA are not even immune! So although I think there is a right and wrong, I think someone like prince could do so many more positive things than what he is doing now. As a fan I feel this is a dire shame.

[/quote]
In the past he has employed a company called 'Web Sherrif'

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1390912826' post='2351123']
Bootlegs from crappy phone recordings at gigs are a weird issue.

I'd have every sympathy with Prince about distribution of original material - DVD rips / music rips etc. But amateur bootlegs....?

He'd be better off following Metallica's example - you can get a 'desk-mix' from them of almost every show they did over the last few years, usually only the day after the gig.

I still have old tapes from going to Donington 20 years ago. Well dodgy sound, but the occasional blinding song audible out of the sound of airborne bottles of piss.

Happy days!
[/quote]

I was backstage at that Metallica gig, sat next to Blaze Bailey in one of the hospitality tents! Whats was unreal was that they were helicoptered in about 10 mins before being onstage, did a blinding set. I don't particularly like Metallica, but the guy that sings and plays rhythm guitar is an incredible musician; singing and doing such complex guitar work. They flew straight out after the gig......

Watching the bottles of pee bobbing about from the stage area was quite funny - it was like a hypnotic dance of old lemonade bottles across the whole audience.

It's quite probable that Prince will never release another official live album or DVD unless his live shows stop appearing regularly on bootleg sites and Youtube. He often plays unreleased songs in his set, so his future album releases can be affected too.

He's not much different to several other artists in threatening legal action against bootleggers. His persona makes him a similar target to the CEO of a certain US guitar company mentioned on here. As with That Charmless Man and any other musician, Prince has every right to protect his product from copying and unpaid distribution.

I believe that he was paid quite a fair whack for the rights to give an album away with The Mail on Sunday.

Do we really imagine that people watch some handheld smartphone footage of a concert and think to themselves 'that was good, no need to see them myself now'?

I doubt anyone in the industry is really stupid enough to believe that sort of argument, though I accept it's a convenient and headline-grabbing way of putting a figure on their supposed losses.

Fact is, people will click on a crappy YouTube video if it's there but won't really care if it's not there. There's no lost revenue involved.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1391384353' post='2356659']
Do we really imagine that people watch some handheld smartphone footage of a concert and think to themselves 'that was good, no need to see them myself now'?

I doubt anyone in the industry is really stupid enough to believe that sort of argument, though I accept it's a convenient and headline-grabbing way of putting a figure on their supposed losses.

Fact is, people will click on a crappy YouTube video if it's there but won't really care if it's not there. There's no lost revenue involved.
[/quote]

I much prefer a shaky, sh*t sounding video of a gig to an official HD, high quality version where I can here I don't just get to see the back of some blokes head, or a tiny stage in the distance...makes me feel like I'm actually there.

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1391453618' post='2357351']
His Royal Purpleness has dropped his $22 million lawsuit. Funnily enough this news is several days old, and yet, not a single mention of it here (until now) - go figure! :scratch_one-s_head:
[/quote]
[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1391084981' post='2353017']
He's dropped the cases now that the items have been taken down.

[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25960300"]http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-25960300[/url]
[/quote] It was mentioned the lawsuit was dropped days ago