Why become a member? ×

Compact folding stands?

TRBboy

Howdy folks,

Just wondered if anyone had any good suggestions for compact guitar stands for gigging? The Hercules Travlite stands look okay, but I'm not sure that they'd be stable enough. Ultimate GS1000 looks good too.

Any other suggestions? What have you got?

Thanks! :D

I use Ultimate Support GS1000's, I think that's what they are anyway.

I find them better for the wider necks in my basses, the Hercules ones are wide enough.

For ultra compact there's the tiny Hercules one, that's actually really good, but doesn't work on jazz basses, or any other with an offset bottom.

I for one have used the miniature Hercules ones (not the Travlite but the other one - GS402 or something) for many years, onstage and in rehearsals without incident, and as for weird shaped basses I have put my RD Artist on one before with a bit of adjusting the bottom bits.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1390340714' post='2344344']
I use Ultimate Support GS1000's, I think that's what they are anyway.

I find them better for the wider necks in my basses, the Hercules ones are wide enough.

For ultra compact there's the tiny Hercules one, that's actually really good, but doesn't work on jazz basses, or any other with an offset bottom.
[/quote]

The GS1000 is the one with the self closing device on the top, looks good I think and cheaper than the GS100 & 200 at the moment!

I just worry with the little Hercules ones that they'd be prone to being knocked sideways (not that that's particularly likely to happen). No worries about fit for me, I like a nice even, pert bottom! :D

I have both a Hercules mini and the Ultimate. Here's my two penneth:

The Hercules is perfect for my needs, fits in my amp bag and I've used it with Jazz basses too. Used it for about 10 years without incident - If I lost it I would definitely replace it.

The ultimate is good I like the way it closes on the headstock and the bass feels more secure. I took mine to one gig and decided the foot print was too big, the feet spread quite wide and it just took up too much room. Now if I need a spare stand at a gig I just take a standard cheapo one. The Ultimate stands in the living room with my spare bass on it. It's a good stand but too big so if I lost it I probably wouldn't be in a rush to replace it.

I too have been using a Hercules stand for years, despite it looking a bit awkward it grips the bass well and the small size is great.

A word of warning though, the pivot of each arm that hold the bass on mine have been exposed and the hard tips have destroyed the finish on either side of the strap button on the back of my basses!

I'm not too precious about instruments that are used a lot but this was annoying when I eventually noticed it.

I think my Ultimate is a 100.

This is it.

The bit the bass sits in tapers backwards, making it great for wider necked basses, they sit towards the front but narrower ones sit towards the back. There's a wide piece of rubber clips across the front to stop them coming out, but I doubt they would 'cos the whole thing leans backwards slightly.

I don't get where someone said they're big ? I don't think they're any bigger than a Hercules model. They just suit wider necked basses better, and the stuff on the legs is better.

My TRB6P wouldn't fit in a Hercules stand :D .

They're also significantly cheaper than the Hercules models, around £20.

Edited by ambient

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1390419905' post='2345322']
Does anybody have any suggestions for a compact stand that will hold a jazz bass securely without the arm catching on the jack if the bass is plugged in??
[/quote]

Hi Pete! How is the jazz?

I think you'd probably have to get a ultimate gs100 or a hercules gs414b or 415b, something that hangs from the headstock rather than resting on the base.

I've given up looking for a decent, lightweight and small stand. I used to tolerate a small 'A-frame' type for my P but when I got my J it wouldn't sit upright due to its shape and I spent more time watching and worrying about it falling over - which is hardly the point of a stand is it? So now I just don't bother and they are either around my shoulder or in its hardcase. Safer and less to carry - what's not to like?

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1390421828' post='2345347']
Hi Pete! How is the jazz?

I think you'd probably have to get a ultimate gs100 or a hercules gs414b or 415b, something that hangs from the headstock rather than resting on the base.
[/quote]
Hi Oli

The jazz is a bit different from how you may remember it now – it has had a couple of visits to John Shuker’s place and undergone a bit of fret dressing in addition to currently sporting a Schaller bridge, Bartolini pickups and a John East circuit. It looks and sounds great, although possibly a touch on the heavy side!

I already have one of the larger Hercules stands but wondered if anyone knew of a smaller stand that would fit into a gig bag but still be able to accommodate a jazz. I have already left the stand at a gig once and tend now to use a MB Basskeeper, but wouldn’t mind finding a suitable smaller stand (if one exists)!

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1390514326' post='2346398']
I already have one of the larger Hercules stands but wondered if anyone knew of a smaller stand that would fit into a gig bag but still be able to accommodate a jazz. I have already left the stand at a gig once and tend now to use a MB Basskeeper, but wouldn’t mind finding a suitable smaller stand (if one exists)!
[/quote]

I still haven't found a stand small enough to fit in a gig bag pocket and still provide adequate support for any type of guitar or bass at a gig let alone one with an asymmetrical body like a Jazz. Unless your stage performance (and your audience) is very restrained IMO you need stands that hold the instruments firmly and securely.

I use the Hercules Mini ([url="http://www.herculesstands.co.uk/product/85317/GS402B%252FW/Floor_Stands/Mini_electric_guitar_stand"]http://www.herculesstands.co.uk/product/85317/GS402B%252FW/Floor_Stands/Mini_electric_guitar_stand[/url]) with my Jazz. Admittedly you've got to position the bass just so when there's a lead plugged in, because the balance point on the offest body is just where the jack is situated, but it does work.

It's supplied with a nifty fabric drawstring carry-sack, and it fits easily into my bits & bobs gear bag.