Why become a member? ×

Headphone recommendations....

LukeFRC

So just found out....

our church is moving into a new building, well and old one, an old church that's since been done up. It's quite a nice modernisation with a big glass wall down the back so their is a room that can be used as a cafe and other things while the main bit doesn't need to be opened up/heated etc

So a big stone room with a glass wall at one end.
Thankfully carpeted.
And we're going to play worship music in there - for those not knowing what that sounds like think your U2, coldplay, snow patrol type indie rock type sounds- musically most of it is pretty awful but the main thing is it's fairly loud and not organs....

right you with me?

so we're going with no stage noise at all. Drummer in a box, no idea how electric guitar is going to be amped (pod probably)
there's a system going in where each of us will be able to set ourselves our own monitor mix, all quite hi tec....

which leads to my question...

I'm going to have a jack socket to plug in a pair of phones in for my monitor mix.
Now in an ideal world I would buy some state of the art moulded IEM's - or I just could use any pair of iPod style headphones.... or anything in between. At the moment the only headphones I have is a set of Koss Porta-pros.

what would anyone suggest?

Soundmagic have some very well priced but also well rated in ears for that toe in the water thing.app £50
http://www.amazon.co.uk/SoundMagic-PL50-Professional-Monitor-Earphones/dp/B002R1IFNO
You could go for some previously used shure se215s or even shure E4s or E5s (if you can find them) app £100
You can use these with all sorts of tips or buds, my choice being the Comply squishy foams that expand in your ear and give a good seal.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_6?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=comply+foam+tips&sprefix=Comply%2Celectronics%2C226
Moulds themselves aren't too expensive, with ear impressions being about £20 and the moulds for as little as £85.
I just had some made for my Shure E5s by the MP3company http://www.themp3company.co.uk which cost £119 all in.
I have to stress, the fit is absolutely imperative,you must get it right or you will lack low end overall, these types of IEMs only work when sealed well.

I think you'll start enjoying the experience after a week or two when you realise you can have exactly what you need in your ears.
Good luck.

Edited by Monckyman

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1390301047' post='2343661']
Whats your realistic budget?
[/quote] unsure i think thats why i started this thread, im currently changing my rig so i can go for cheaper plans if need to. ive read the iem thread, but dunno, can i get away with headphones...

Lots of drummers use headphones as opposed to IEMs.
Looks a bit dr Who but hey, they're drummers..
Sennheiser 25/II or 280 pros sound great with lots of warmth,the Beyer range is fine but the high impedance often means they are quieter on some systems.
You can easily do it for £100 if not less but if you are spending that, my advice is go for IEMs.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been through a lot of headphones trying to find what I am looking for. I love my Grado SR125 'phones. They are not cheap (about £200) but I can really hear the difference. The clarity and sound-separation is incredible. I am not rolling in cash, but the extra was worth it to me as I do play and listen through them a lot.
Now something I wasn't expecting is how much I enjoy open-backed headphones (which these Grados are). They feel "lighter" on your head and ears, and you hear a lot of ambient sound too, which I think would be a big advantage as a church player. Unless you have well thought out ambient sound mics, IEM's can make you feel a bit isolated, which is a big reason I don't like them.
Just my experience anyway.

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1391970721' post='2363146']
Phil jones bass does some headphones , I have no experience of them but going off the quality of their amps and cabs I'd definitely want to try a pair if I was looking to replace my headphones.
[/quote]

They're bloody brilliant. They're what I came in here to recommend but for stage use I'd go in-ear.

I am not sure if i qualify to give recommendations as i have only owned 1 pair for my bass, which i got at Christmas. I have the Phil Jones PJB 850H. I am really pleased with them. I mainly use them with an amplug, and they sound great. A really good deep bass tone. Through my amp, they are just as good through the headphones. As i say, i have nothing to comapre them with, but i haven`t felt i have been short changed with them. I paid £79 plus £5 for postage from Bass Direct

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1392019573' post='2363536']
I've been through a lot of headphones trying to find what I am looking for. I love my Grado SR125 'phones. They are not cheap (about £200) but I can really hear the difference. The clarity and sound-separation is incredible. I am not rolling in cash, but the extra was worth it to me as I do play and listen through them a lot.
  Now something I wasn't expecting is how much I enjoy open-backed headphones (which these Grados are). They feel "lighter" on your head and ears, and you hear a lot of ambient sound too, which I think would be a big advantage as a church player. Unless you have well thought out ambient sound mics, IEM's can make you feel a bit isolated, which is a big reason I don't like them.
Just my experience anyway.
[/quote]

depending on how much you move on stage headphones may tend to slip around on your head i know i've had that experience with a set of hd25's whereas once you get in ears fitted they aren't likely to move if you are looking for a set of decent in ears on a budget i coped perfectly well with a set of these for a long time before i got my moulds in fact i still have them in my gig case as my back up set

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/SE215K-Shure-Sound-Isolating-Headphones-BLACK/dp/B004PNZFZ8"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/SE215K-Shure-Sound-Isolating-Headphones-BLACK/dp/B004PNZFZ8[/url]

Shure se315 user here.

Very good quality and Shure's customer service is very good. Had a faulty unit, and the replacement was shipped to N.Ireland in 2 days.

What I would add, is that using IEM for worship, I find very difficult, even with ambient mics so it may take some adjusting for your bands.

Furthermore your wireless/wired packs need to be fairly good quality. No point of sticking £200 headphones into a £20 pack.

Could you maybe keep the worship leader with onstage wedges?

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1390259079' post='2343385']
...what would anyone suggest?
[size=4][/quote][/size]
Beyer DT-100. 30Hz - 30kHz. Comfy for long-term use. Industry standard.

[url="http://www.studiospares.com/headphones-studio/beyer-dt100-headphones-400-ohm/invt/410001"]http://www.studiospa...ohm/invt/410001[/url]
[size=4]£99 from Studiospares.[/size]

[size=4]Reviews:[/size]
[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B000IL4A66"][size=4]http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B000IL4A66[/size][/url]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='pendingrequests' timestamp='1392903342' post='2373958']
Could you maybe keep the worship leader with onstage wedges?
[/quote] the way the sound works in that room I doubt it would make much difference in practice! but apparently not what we're doing.... our main guy sorting the sound knows what he's doing though.

• 4 weeks later...

Take a wander down to the production room on roseville road and try a few different headphones out for comfort, ambient noise isolation etc. They do have some studio specific models like the DT-100 (very durable and excellent spareparts availability), as well as the less tanklike models aimed at hi-fi use.

I would pay specific attention to how the cable attaches to the cans - I would never consider buying an amp/monitor/PA that had a cheap skinny cable hardwired into the input, as all cables die at captive strain relief points sooner or later.

Double check about the monitor mixing - will you be able to make a proper mix including EQ/level of different channels, or just tweak the level of your own cans (based on experience with oldschool analogue kit, the engi is a bit restricted on the monitor mix front unless they run a separate desk for FOH and stage monitoring - of course this may be irrelevant if you are using PC/Mac/other digital solution.