Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Squier vintage modified jazz bass

Absolute Beginner

Hi all.

Your thoughts on the above as a bass for a relative novice.....?

I've seen one at my local music store recently and fallen in love with it.

I really look the like of the Natural finish in particular (The store didn't have this finish available though).

It seems very reasonably priced at £250.

Have any of you got one and can recommend it....?

Thanks very much.

Cracking bass, go for it. You might want to try an example of their Classic Vibe range beforehand though - they cost a little bit more but there are plenty of used examples around the £220 mark.

The VM has a more aggressive sound, whilst the CV sounds slightly warmer, has arguably higher build quality, and a rosewood board with smaller vintage style frets (which I prefer the feel of personally but you may feel different).

Cant go wrong with a vmj.....lovely thin necks too with narrow rear to back dimension as well..i prefer my vmj to my cmj.

as an aside ive just bought a surf green j&d 1975 vintage jazz new for £119 delivered....very impressed thus far....nice build with very hot pups indeed.

[quote name='Absolute Beginner' timestamp='1390028950' post='2340619']
Hi all.

Your thoughts on the above as a bass for a relative novice.....?

I've seen one at my local music store recently and fallen in love with it.

I really look the like of the Natural finish in particular (The store didn't have this finish available though).

It seems very reasonably priced at £250.

Have any of you got one and can recommend it....?

Thanks very much.
[/quote]

It's a pretty good bass. I had one for a while that I simply let go because I had three other Jazz basses: a Fender 75RI that was very very sweet and a bass I was after for a while, a Squier that was red and therefore had to stay :P, and a black one by Vintage that was my first real bass and I already sold only to buy a couple of years later due to sentimental value to me... A drummer friend of mine wanted to get into bass asd asked me whether I'd sell one of mine, and the VM Jazz seemed idea. She loved it at first sight, and it sounds great. I still play it from time to time when I go to see her and we end up jamming (she has an electronic kit in the house, so it's easy), and I just love the bass.
Mine was one of the first ones with "Duncan Designed" pickups. I hear they have changed but I have no idea whether the new ones are better, worse or the same.

I'd probably go for a used one, partly because you save money and if you later found that you prefer something else (when I started I went through many basses until I figured out what I really liked) you can sell it without loss... and partly to be able to buy one of the ones I owned, as I knew those were pretty good. Having said that, it's probably just me being a bit paranoid, I bet the newer ones are still great, or better.

Great basses.

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1390052598' post='2340905']
Cant go wrong with a vmj.....lovely thin necks too with narrow rear to back dimension as well..i prefer my vmj to my cmj.

as an aside ive just bought a surf green j&d 1975 vintage jazz new for £119 delivered....very impressed thus far....nice build with very hot pups indeed.
[/quote]

wow, where did you get the J&D from? surf green and maple fingerboard? :gas:
I do not need another Jazz but that combination is HOT!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1390056782' post='2340983']
wow, where did you get the J&D from? surf green and maple fingerboard? :gas:
I do not need another Jazz but that combination is HOT!!!!!!!!!!!
[/quote]

nevermind... dv247... I just went and ordered one! :ph34r:
I have no cure! :blush: :P

awesome basses got me a 5er a week ago, very quick neck and awesome pickups nice output considering its passive, mine are the duncan designed pickups.

keeps up with my modulus which new was an 1800 quid bass, also being a fender if you want to upgrade at any point its easy to drop in new pickups tone controls etc, im changing all the hardware on mine nothing to do with the quality i just want to have all black hardware.

for a first bass its hard to see a better bass for the money.

andy

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1390057015' post='2340990']

nevermind... dv247... I just went and ordered one! :ph34r:
I have no cure! :blush: :P
[/quote]

i sympathise GAS was the reason for mine...nut height spot on at .5mm at 1st fret, saddles good too but trussrod wound out for transport...i set mine last night and still ok. one thing the pups are very hot and for slap i removed most of the spring foam under the neck pup....and found the routing is as it should be so you could use without pick guard....whats not to like?!?

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1390065971' post='2341130']
i sympathise GAS was the reason for mine...nut height spot on at .5mm at 1st fret, saddles good too but trussrod wound out for transport...i set mine last night and still ok. one thing the pups are very hot and for slap i removed most of the spring foam under the neck pup....and found the routing is as it should be so you could use without pick guard....whats not to like?!?
[/quote]

clean routing on the neck pickup too??????? :gas:

I would ask you to post pictures, but we're probably hijacking the original thread too much already :lol:
Thanks for posting about the J&D 'though! :)

Some basses under £300 that are worth playing to see if you like them.

First off - the VM Jazz you originally mentioned is a really nice bass. But as someone said, could be a little heavy.

If light is what you're after then check out the new Yamaha TRBX 304 range (http://www.dv247.com/guitars/yamaha-trbx304-bass-guitar-black--106402). I have the next model up the 504 and it's superb. It has a more modern sound so won't sound like a vintage jazz. They're very nice to play indeed. I take mine out over my Overwater's (the made by Tanglewood ones, not the custom made ones).

I've not tried one but there's some love for the cheap Ibanez's too, e.g. http://www.dv247.com/guitars/ibanez-sr300-bass-guitar-candy-apple--48772

But if you buy second hand (from Basschat!) then you open yourself up to a better range and choice of bass for £300. For example, all of the basses in my signature cost me less than £300 except the Overwater Contemporary Jazz which I bought new for around £600. Even that would fetch less than £300 second hand now!

Where are based? Maybe a basschatter lives nearby and would let you try out some of their basses?

If you are after a retro sound for less than 300 quid, you could go for one of the VM series, either the Jazz or the P with the Jazz and P pickup. The only thing with Squiers is sometimes the quality can be a bit dodgy (I haven`t tried any of the new models though) so mabye it would be better trying them out in the shop.

Or better still, look out for a s/h Yamaha BB414 which has the P/J pickups. The Yamaha basses really are some of the best buys in any price range (as are Ibanez but you are looking for a retro sound) and one of these can be had for less than your budget.

Edited by jezzaboy

How about the Classic Vibe series of Squier? The CV series.
They are nicer than the VM series, they feel like quality instruments those. A CV series Jazz, which comes in white with tortoiseshell style pickguard, is a seriously good bass.

It's a bit more than your budget, new, at about £365. But it's a good step upwards from the VM series, and if you want to buy used it'll be well within your budget.
This would be my choice: retro sound, quality and price.

[quote name='Absolute Beginner' timestamp='1390149753' post='2341958']
Thanks.

Are the Classic Vibe range bass guitars lighter than the Vintage Modified range does anyone know ?
[/quote]

They're all variable, but in general I'd say yes, although not by much.

There was a Jaguar modern player fender on here earlier for £280 - if I had £300 for a bass at the moment I would get that in a heartbeat. When I went last to buy a bass, the jag modern player was the best sounding / nicest playing bass I could find under £700 when I was in wunjo.
The only reason I didn't go for it was that I was unsure on the shape at the time at £400.

[quote name='Absolute Beginner' timestamp='1390151978' post='2341991']
I have to say though, I do really like the look of the Natural finish (On the VM) with the black inlays on the neck, or am I concerning myself more with the look of the bass rather than it's playability.....?!
[/quote]

well, looks etc are also important factors, we're only human!

Look, I just bought a J&D Jazz bass (as mentioned above) that I don't need, and although I don't doubt it'll be useable, I don't expect it to be a terribly wonderful bass (come on, £119 delivered, new ;))... but I bought it because of the colour (I have been wanting a surf green Jazz for ages) and that it had a maple fingerboard (which I prefer, especially on darker stages)... so, that was purely looks :lol:

The CV series Jazz is a noticeably better instrument. It just feels... it's hard to explain, it feels "quality". It may "only be a Squier", but if it had a Fender label you would not be surprised... it's a serious instrument. The VM series is great fun and it's well made, but by comparison it does feel a bit "cheap". However, like I said, it's a very nice bass... so if that's the look you want, why not?

The best would be that you go to a shop where they have both, and see what you feel about them, in person.