Why become a member? ×

bass line isolation app

low&

You can do the same thing with Transcribe! from www.seventhstring.com. I use this pretty much every day, and it's invaluable.

When I was a kid I discovered that if you played music back through a double tape deck on high speed dubbing (so copying to another cassette), the bass 'popped' out of the mix, an octave higher. I realised that this was an excellent way to pick out difficult to hear lines, and found that it works particularly well for low 5-string parts. This can be replicated in Transcribe! by transposing the piece up one octave, making the bass pop out of the mix. You can further enhance the bass using the preset EQ filters and adjust to your liking using the graphic.

Anyway, it seems that this app does the same thing, which is certainly very useful. It's a little bit cheaper as well.

Good find!
Stuart

[quote name='Stuart Clayton' timestamp='1389263103' post='2331967']
You can do the same thing with Transcribe! from www.seventhstring.com. I use this pretty much every day, and it's invaluable.

When I was a kid I discovered that if you played music back through a double tape deck on high speed dubbing (so copying to another cassette), the bass 'popped' out of the mix, an octave higher. I realised that this was an excellent way to pick out difficult to hear lines, and found that it works particularly well for low 5-string parts. This can be replicated in Transcribe! by transposing the piece up one octave, making the bass pop out of the mix. You can further enhance the bass using the preset EQ filters and adjust to your liking using the graphic.

Anyway, it seems that this app does the same thing, which is certainly very useful. It's a little bit cheaper as well.

Good find!
Stuart
[/quote]

Same here! I annoyed the hell out of my pare to by playing tapes at the faster speed to learn basslines, and seventh string's transcribe is the single best piece of software I've bought.
I'll check out this isolation software too though to see if it tickles my fancy.
Cheers

Looks great - I think I will grab this for my iPad, it will be useful for on the go.
The App is a decent price as well.

I have Transcribe on my desk top (and of course it's great)
but it does look a[size=4] bit like some cartoon animation.[/size]

[size=4]Thanks for the heads up [u]low&.[/u][/size]

I downloaded transcribe, and it seems that it will be useful. But, I was curious about the technology. I made my own version as a Max/MSP patch. It doesn't seem to produce as clear a result as transcribe!, but it's somewhere in the ballpark. It could be that I need to work on the filters a bit, both their cutoff/Qs and the choice of filter objects. The pitch-shifting and playback speed modification both seem quite reasonable.

Edited by Annoying Twit