Why become a member? ×

[OMG] Custom White Warwick Thumb 5

simondee

Thanks to this very forum, I'm now the proud owner of a custom white warwick thumb 5 string. Original wanted thread is here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=22130"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=22130[/url]

So without further ado:

Couple more (including tasty neck shot) here: [url="http://flickr.com/photos/simondee/sets/72157605913203492/"]http://flickr.com/photos/simondee/sets/72157605913203492/[/url]

A couple of notes:

- this bass really hasn't seen much use from what I can tell.
- damn it's HEAVY.
- neck is fat. very fat. but i've been playing a corvette 4 for the last decade so that's to be expected I s'pose
- the tonal response (especially for that signature growl) is amazing, as you would expect
- B string is [i]tight[/i]

One of the strap holders is a bit loose so I'm going to take it to the Bass Gallery soon to get that fixed and some straplocks put on, as well as a general healthcheck and setup.

And did i mention that it's heavy? Daaaamn I'm going to end up all lop-sided.

That looks awesome - and I don't even like white basses!

That's the one problem I've found with a lot of Warwicks - they really do weigh a tone. My Streamer has been successful in giving me recurring back pain. And I've found Thumbs to often be heavier still. Which is surprising as they have quite small bodies. Must be all that bubinga...

Are you going to get recessed strap locks? Recesses are definitely the way to go...

[quote name='geilerbass' post='230371' date='Jul 1 2008, 10:51 AM']That looks awesome - and I don't even like white basses!

That's the one problem I've found with a lot of Warwicks - they really do weigh a tone. My Streamer has been successful in giving me recurring back pain. And I've found Thumbs to often be heavier still. Which is surprising as they have quite small bodies. Must be all that bubinga...

Are you going to get recessed strap locks? Recesses are definitely the way to go...[/quote]

Yeah I think so, whichever are most secure and look the nicest. Where the hell am I going to get a padded white strap from though, that's the question!

They had a Corvette HotRod in the shop too and that was like a feather in comparison. I was also surprised at how good the Infinity SN was.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='230424' date='Jul 1 2008, 11:56 AM']Has the bass been resprayed or is this its original colour?[/quote]

I've seen a couple Warwicks that were coloured white from the factory (owned one myself from the 80's) so it wouldn't be unheard of to be original.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='230424' date='Jul 1 2008, 11:56 AM']Has the bass been resprayed or is this its original colour?[/quote]

it's original apparently, whole lot was done by Warwick when she was ordered.

I'm definitely going to get the action sorted a bit and also make a trip to costco and bulk buy some tipp-ex :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='230436' date='Jul 1 2008, 12:12 PM']I've seen a couple Warwicks that were coloured white from the factory (owned one myself from the 80's) so it wouldn't be unheard of to be original.[/quote]
I think Prince started using white Warwicks with his band around the time of 'Rave un2 the Year 2000'..

Nice looking bass by the way!

[quote name='AREA' post='230971' date='Jul 1 2008, 10:33 PM']If you like a white Warwick, take a Look at this...

[/quote]

Ah... Lex's bass. Zender. Prince. Larry Graham...

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='simondee' post='231019' date='Jul 2 2008, 12:06 AM']phwoooar is that an SSII?

How does the fretboard stay so pristine??? :)[/quote]

The fretboard is finished like the body. e.g. painted and poly finish. They make a fantastic looking stage bass, but use it day to day, you'll be scuffing the neck through before you know it...

[quote name='simondee' post='231019' date='Jul 2 2008, 12:06 AM']phwoooar is that an SSII?

How does the fretboard stay so pristine??? :)[/quote]

Nah Stage 1 man, Stage II's don't have soapbars, well very rarely. And also that's Lex's 2nd one, the first one cracked.

[quote name='ped' post='230444' date='Jul 1 2008, 12:17 PM']I met an ex Take That bass player in Minster Lovell who was playing a pub and he had an identical bass.[/quote]

Minster Lovell??small world i go there alot its my favorite place, would love to live there ^_^

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Josh' post='231466' date='Jul 2 2008, 11:36 AM']Nah Stage 1 man, Stage II's don't have soapbars, well very rarely. And also that's Lex's 2nd one, the first one cracked.[/quote]

Yeah, that's true. Some muppet at the airlines dropped something on it while I was on tour, cracking the body. Morons.

As for day-to-day use and wear; I use this bass pretty much every day of the week (gigs, rehearsals, practice) and there's zero fingerboard wear. I've been doing this for well over a year.

@ EBS_freak - sure, it has been done before... but who hasn't paid respect to their influences at some time during their career? I'm happy to say that all 3 players you mentioned have been influential on my playing and I'm probably better for having listened to them.

Lex

[quote name='Lex' post='249615' date='Jul 28 2008, 02:33 PM']Yeah, that's true. Some muppet at the airlines dropped something on it while I was on tour, cracking the body. Morons.

As for day-to-day use and wear; I use this bass pretty much every day of the week (gigs, rehearsals, practice) and there's zero fingerboard wear. I've been doing this for well over a year.

@ EBS_freak - sure, it has been done before... but who hasn't paid respect to their influences at some time during their career? I'm happy to say that all 3 players you mentioned have been influential on my playing and I'm probably better for having listened to them.

Lex[/quote]

It wasn't a diss mate! The best things are the tried and tested! The white bass really works. Like the Fender Jazz bass. Why is it copied so much? Because it works!

And yeah, it's a gorgeous looking bass! Painted fingerboards are great - and yeah, I would get an all white bass without thinking about it. They are simply the best stage basses. Ever.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='249631' date='Jul 28 2008, 09:41 AM']It wasn't a diss mate! The best things are the tried and tested! The white bass really works. Like the Fender Jazz bass. Why is it copied so much? Because it works!

And yeah, it's a gorgeous looking bass! Painted fingerboards are great - and yeah, I would get an all white bass without thinking about it. They are simply the best stage basses. Ever.[/quote]

All good mate - yeah, they definitely are a head turner... plus they go nicely with what ever outfit you're *forced* to wear for the gig hahah! :)