Why become a member? ×

[OMG] Custom White Warwick Thumb 5

simondee

[quote name='JimBobTTD' post='252495' date='Aug 1 2008, 04:07 AM']Yeah, they are both [b]nice[/b]. I think white looks great. I have three white guitars and two white basses, with a third possibly being added soon. I'd choose white over some poncey flame maple any day of the week (and twice on Sundays).[/quote]

I hear ya - I'm not a huge fan of figured woods.

Having said that though, my next Streamer Stage 1 is flamed maple :)

Hey Simon, not that it'll ever happen, but I want dibs on that Thumb! (I'm Samuel from the Warwick forum BTW)...

I tried a Thumb 6 with Bartolini soapbars a while ago, and it was probably the best bass I've ever tried. Since then, I've been looking for a Thumb NT 5 with Bartolini soapbars. Had I known this existed, it would've already been mine...

:)

I do post on PT from time to time sir (I've somehow ended up in Mike's band and Morgan's band too)

Also Mr Stockholm, when the credit crunch bites harder I'll sling you a PM!

It's tricky at the moment because 2 weeks after I got the Thumb I picked up my bargain basement Streamer Stage II. They both have such different tones and I'm really struggling to choose a [b]main[/b] bass right now.

The SSII really cuts through everything and has really sparkly high mids, but the Thumb just growls so much. Difficult.

[quote name='Wil' post='259781' date='Aug 11 2008, 11:01 AM']Morgan won't appriciate those Warwicks. Not flying V shaped.[/quote]

he was more upset that it had an 'incorrect number of strings'. I'm using the Pro-M with the Quarry because they tune down to C#.

[quote name='cd_david' post='231527' date='Jul 2 2008, 06:43 PM']Minster Lovell??small world i go there alot its my favorite place, would love to live there ^_^[/quote]

Really! It is a really nice place. Have you been to 'The Swan' pub? Great food and they let Nellie sit at the bar with me!

[quote name='simondee' post='259776' date='Aug 11 2008, 11:56 AM']I do post on PT from time to time sir (I've somehow ended up in Mike's band and Morgan's band too)

Also Mr Stockholm, when the credit crunch bites harder I'll sling you a PM!

It's tricky at the moment because 2 weeks after I got the Thumb I picked up my bargain basement Streamer Stage II. They both have such different tones and I'm really struggling to choose a [b]main[/b] bass right now.

The SSII really cuts through everything and has really sparkly high mids, but the Thumb just growls so much. Difficult.[/quote]
Thanks, mate!

I know what you mean about the Stage II and the Thumb. The Stage II has this unique tone that I only can describe as "crunchy", P-nut from 311 is a good example. Like all Wicks, it slices the mix like a hot knife through butter, but with a unique tone. It's got a nasal quality, but in a good way!

Regarding the Thumb, it has a more agressive, growly thing going on, especially the regular 5-string with single coils (although stacked). I find that the Bart soapbars keep this characteristic intact, but adds a lot more booty to it. I actually borrowed the NT 6 I mentioned in the previous post, and used in in a classic rock cover band. Everyone was, like, "WTF, you can't use that". When I soloed the neck pickup, and started hammering with my fingers/the pick, they all shut up. :)

That sound was the best sound I ever played with, and I've been looking for a 5-string like that ever since!

How does the paint job affect the classic Thumb tone? Reason I ask is, I've owned a couple of Stage II's one being standard, wax finish and the other being a custom with a lacquer finish. I just couldn't get the classic SII tone from the lacquered bass and sold it on. Funny, but I've always fancied a SII 5-string again when funds allow of course.

BTW, there's a small restaurant near me, in St Andrews (Scotland) that has a gold 6-string thumb with Barts sitting on show. The restaurant is called Ziggys and claims to be the original rock memorabilia restaurant. Been on the go before the HRC apparently. Anyway I was curious, and asked the owner. He told me it was bought from the John Entwistle estate a few years back !

Edited by largo

For me, the definitive tone of Warwicks is perfectly portrayed by both the Thumb NT and Streamer Stage II, the others come close but IMO lack in certain areas of the ideal Warwick tone, for instance, a SS 1 will have a beautiful slap sound yet if you want it to really growl, you may find yourself champing at the bit and just constantly floating through bareable tones until you eventually bite the bullet and sell it on, and thats from my own personal experience with one. And also a Thumb BO will growl, but it wont have the aggressiveness of a Thumb NT, which is really what makes it sing.

I'm with you guys on a SSII being crunchy, and the Thumb being more darker and smoother, they really compliment each other, in every way, and to have both of them in a collection is a privelledge :)