Why become a member? ×

Reduce to one bass - favour Yamaha BB414 or trade to get Sterling SUB 4?

Greggo

Well I'm in a conundrum. I basically want to downsize my collection to just one bass, one electric guitar and one acoustic. I have two basses a Yamaha BB414 and a ray copy (vintage EST96). Ive already decided one or way another I want to shed the Vintage as it's 5 string and I don't really want a 5er anymore.

I love my Yamaha BB414 especially now it's strung with flats but today I saw a bargain Indonesian SUB 4 in walnut for £160 and it was just lovely to play and I do like the whole Ray vibe.

I think trading Vintage and Yamaha could yield at least 95 per cent of funds towards getting it. (I know if I sold both privately I could get more blah blah but I am a bit right here right now kind of person when it comes to my instruments)

But wondering if in real world whether the Ray 4 would be the best bass for me as the one bass if I were to get it. Yammy after all is P/J but Ray 4 is single humbucker but with 2 band EQ.

Anyone think I should go for it or just stick with the Yamaha? Anyone with both have a preference?

Edited by Greggo

I'm glad I'm being talked around here, into not doing something silly! That SUB was all pretty and seducing me with its walnut finish, but I do love my Yammy and it does have some great tones at its disposal . Having changed to flats its just got even better for me.

I guess I just like the idea of the ray tone but I suppose if I'm honest with myself whether it is the best sound for me/our style is a different question! The sound of other people playing is probably better than the sound I can make out of one!

Edited by Greggo

[quote name='fender73' timestamp='1388768543' post='2325886']
Ive just sold a Sterling Sub. Great all round bass but the preamp is far too hot on them. I would keep the Yammie!
[/quote]

The SUBs are pretty decent -I'm about to buy a 5er myself. The preamp is overly hot, though.

There's a thread on Talkbass about this with a partial fix from a senior MM empoyee, plus, later on, a hack for the pre-amp to reduce its gain - or buy a Retrovibe pre amp.

G.

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1388858840' post='2327016']

The SUBs are pretty decent -I'm about to buy a 5er myself. The preamp is overly hot, though.

There's a thread on Talkbass about this with a partial fix from a senior MM empoyee, plus, later on, a hack for the pre-amp to reduce its gain - or buy a Retrovibe pre amp.

G.
[/quote]

I've actually got the Retrovibe preamp in my vintage. Does a good job, was always the plan to put in a SUB if I got one.

I'm probably just gonna see if can swap my Vintage 5er for a 4 banger version.

Edited by Greggo