Why become a member? ×

Hip shot D tunners

Kevin Dean

I know of a Jazz/Avant garde bassist (Michael Manring) here in the states that Has a Zon Bass with a Hipshot on each string (2+2 arrangement). The bass has a very long headstock that gives each hipshot room to be utilized. Most basses probably don't regardless of key configuration.
My approach would be to have two 4 stringers with one in DGCF and the other in traditional tuning with the Hipshot when you just mwant to drop the E to D and still use traditional tuning when needed.
As for the bass in DGCF, a four string set in .55-.110 would be ideal, at least in my experiences, and for the bass with the hipshot a medium gauge set with an E string of at least .106-.110 E string. GHS makes a string set for dropping just the E string. Billy Sheean set I believe. DR also make one I believe. Good Luck!

Hi sounds like you have a similar issue to one i've been trying to solve for a few years now with many tunings reqd and trying to minimise the number of basses reqd. I had a hipshot on the E of a 4 str great piece of kit, until it fell apart :-( most likely a combination of lack of maintenance on my part and the fact I got it off ebay for less than half the usual price (looked genuine, but more fool me eh?) perfect for dropping e to d, but probably too bulky for most basses for every string, eventually ended up with a 5 str in std tune and a capo (one meant for a 12 str guitar which works great on a 5 str) - there is/was also a capo called something like a Spider that clamps in different places for each str - never tried it tho.
This is the capo i use (stored next to the clip on tuner on the headstock :-) - [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kyser-Acoustic-Guitar-Quick-Change/dp/B0002CZVWI"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kyser-Acoustic-Guitar-Quick-Change/dp/B0002CZVWI[/url]

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1388172184' post='2319177']
If you had 2 basses, I would say tune one in standard tuning,and the other alternate. If both basses were identical, that would be the way to go imho
[/quote]

Got to be the best solution.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1389045702' post='2329369']
Just drop to D on the E string and adjust the what you play on the other strings. All the notes are there, just in a different place relative to the dropped D.
[/quote]
^ This.
Are you playing chords? If not, why bother detuning the A, D and G when all the notes are already there?

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1388800949' post='2326336']
could i maybe put a strange suggestion out there, why not use a good quality capo? to bring the bass up a tone? easy and quick and no second bass needed

just tune the bass to d and pop a capo on the right fret

andy
[/quote]

Exactly what I would suggest! Having 2 basses at a gig is never a bad idea though.

• 2 weeks later...