Why become a member? ×

The future of basses......really?!

Joeyfivebags

[quote name='bh2' timestamp='1387748921' post='2315256']
I like the tubular neck idea... if they can make one out of steel then maybes they could make a wood one?
[/quote]
Why bother, the material that a bass is constructed out of has absolutely no bearing on whatsoever on the resulting sound............[i]slinks slowly away to avoid resulting argument!!!![/i]

[quote name='cytania' timestamp='1387746767' post='2315216']
Wouldn't it be a bit cold to the touch... and the bout edges might cut in a bit… don't I sound all wussy :-)
[/quote]

Feeling cold to the touch was a major problem with the old Kramer and Travis Bean aluminium -necked basses back in the day.

One of these basses would be an ideal choice for a funky Dalek.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1387652176' post='2314294']
I would play one on stage if I lived in the future, when no doubt designs like this will proliferate, but to be honest with you, I'm not really even living in the present. Never mind embracing change, I'm still trying to come to terms with the fact that I am going to have to pay the Poll Tax. Stainless steel basses is a bit too much for me to take in .2013 is a bit too much for me to take in .
[/quote]

You could cover the stainless steel bass in <Blue Peter>sticky back plastic</Blue Peter> for that full-on retro look and feel. Combine the third millennium with the 1960s.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Grassie' timestamp='1387914904' post='2317236']
Sounds OK (apart from that odd ringing, similar to the sound you get when you tap a scaffold pole), but looks like a gardening implement. Terrible aesthetics. Not for me I'm afraid. Daft Punk might be interested though...
[/quote]

I thought more clothes rail than scaffold pole! It could definitely double up as one.

[quote name='Grassie' timestamp='1387914904' post='2317236']
Sounds OK (apart from that odd ringing, similar to the sound you get when you tap a scaffold pole), but looks like a gardening implement. Terrible aesthetics. Not for me I'm afraid. Daft Punk might be interested though...
[/quote]

I agree about the metallic ringing, really irritating. I couldn't live with that, and I play all graphite basses so it's not like I'm stuck in 1962.

There's been plenty of innovation in the guitar world right from the 70s through to today. But most guitarists and bass players would rather have two bits of wood roughly nailed together with some 1950s styling ;)

So the future of basses was Leo Fender and always will has been :P

Edited by Fat Rich

I seen this a few months back and being an engineer it impressed me, it's very clever and I'd be interested in trying one to feel how that neck feels. It might be amazingly comfortable, of course it could be just as easily be cr*p.
But as mentioned above, the body shape does look like a can opener and I think the guys that make it should have "re-think" about the body shape, it sure is ugly.

Edited by Tankdave