Why become a member? ×

I think I wanna sell my stingray....but I am not sure!

aende

Wow, Stingray a one-trick pony? Surely they have a lot of versatility? Think of Bernard Edwards`s tones for Chic, which are as far removed from the regular `Ray tones we usually expect - a lot of sounds available. I`d check out one/any of the others fully before making any decisions.

That said, I had a Jazz Active Deluxe earlier on this year which was very versatile, could go from being 90% Precision to Flea-type tones all from controls on the bass. To me it was more versatile than the `Rays I`ve had.

What strings are you using, flats, tape wound, nylon covered? Try something different, see if that helps. Next borrow a bass from a friend (or someone on forum), try this for a few weeks, then go back to your new found friend. I have gone through many basses and with most of them I sound like me. Only one bass I own makes a significantly different tone to my others. I have the same effect with guitars as well - must be poor technique :gas: GAS can be cured, you may be lucky.

Edited by 3below

Well, okay - stingrays are not one trick ponies and mine is a 3eq. I plonked on a fresh set of roto's and the tone is quite lovely. However, we play a huge variety of music and I generally only have 1 really great tone. I bought a schecter California custom jazz bass cheap on eBay, it is bloody marvellous - great sound straight away (emg pickups and preamp + hipshot bridge) only drawback is the 35" scale....I could be gassing over nothing but felt I could cover more tones with a pj or pm format....the schecter has a few sounds on demand with the preamp.

I sold my SBMM Ray34 after 5 months because although i loved the tone and the playability, i struggled to get it to sound as good in the band. Although I think I was possibly just getting there when it went; tempted by GAS (so many basses, so little time!).

Now I must admit to missing it and have found myself checking out a few Stingrays.

So I say, if you've not had it all that long, hang on in there. Having said that, both my P and my J worked with my covers band so easily; the sound just sat perfectly in the mix straight away.

I did to buy my dream bass. My USA P.

Gotta say though I was at rehearsal the other night and we were jamming out a track with a very modern sound and it did creep into my head as much as the P sounded amazing and the neck feels like an old pair of shoes maybe the Ray would be a better choice for that song...

Don't do it man, you will regret. I did when i sold my stingray for a ACG 5 string. Not that the ACG is bad but i prefer the stingray ray after all. I now have a bongo and thats similar but different, can still get my MM sound.

My ultimate bass right now is a PJ, J bass and musicman bongo. It covers 99% of the tone i need.

Keep the Ray and make your P/M bass as a project.

I had a cheap MIM std fender P bass, i swapped out the stock P pickup for the Seymour Duncan's Quater Pounder, then swapped out the neck with a glossy slim maple jazz neck and then routed the the body to install a Seymour Duncan's JP3. Now the bass is a beast and play better then all of my bass.

I had a Ray sold it, and I then ended up getting another..
I just love it for it's tone and playability.. The P-bass I use more with the bands, but do love to record with the Ray and use that at home all the time for practice.
I guess I'm lucky in that I don't have to choose just one bass :)

Keep it and get yourself a P bass as well and you'll be nearly covered is my advice

Remember, adding a MM pickup near the bridge position on a P or J won't make the bass sound like Musicman ....... it sound different in a good way but it doesn't sound like a musicman in my ear.

Only way to get musicman sound is from a musicman bass ....... thats why i end up getting another musicman bass when i sold my 3EQ Stingray.

I've had five Rays - I love the idea of them, the look of them (especially the sunburst/maple), the design of them, even the sound of them...when other people are playing them. I recorded part of our album with one, but live...not for me.

Whenever I haven't got one (like now), I'm always susceptible; even after five, I know damn well if a nice sunburst and maple turned up, I'd be all over it...that's GAS for you...

It very much depends on what style of music you play and how much you rely on your technique for timbre. You can make most basses suit most genres depending on your approach to the instrument and some EQing.

That said, the Stingray does have its own sound but it CAN be dialled back a bit by turning down the on board preamp a touch and relying on your amp's EQ.

If you love it now despite how you feel about its versatility you will probably regret letting it go down the line. I've been there before.

I say keep it and save up for a PJ :)

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1387375403' post='2311228']
I've had five Rays - I love the idea of them, the look of them (especially the sunburst/maple), the design of them, even the sound of them...when other people are playing them. I recorded part of our album with one, but live...not for me.

Whenever I haven't got one (like now), I'm always susceptible; even after five, I know damn well if a nice sunburst and maple turned up, I'd be all over it...that's GAS for you...
[/quote]
Something like this you mean?

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1387376273' post='2311241']
Something like this you mean?

[/quote]

Aaaaaarrrrrggggghhhh!!!!! I'm completely happy with my basses, I'm completely happy with my basses, I'm completely happy with my basses, I'm completely happy with my basses.... :(

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1387390455' post='2311475']
Aaaaaarrrrrggggghhhh!!!!! I'm completely happy with my basses, I'm completely happy with my basses, I'm completely happy with my basses, I'm completely happy with my basses.... :(
[/quote]

Exactly

I really really like the look and sound of the Stingray and I always think when I am a half decent player I will get one but the necks seem very thin and almost jazz like and that really puts me off I have been through a load of basses recently and just find a P bass right for me and in all honesty my playing don't warrant a thousand quids worth of bass but if I manage to sell one of the kids I could be persuaded lol.....But back on topic I would keep your Ray I cos if you sold it then wanted another it may not be how yours was as no 2 basses feel the same even though they are made in the same factory the same way blah blah blah

I`m not sure that a bass being a 1 trick pony is much of a problem. Take a P bass for instance. Most would say it only has 1 sound but for lots of players, it is the sound that is required. A Stingray is a great bit of kit and I would agree with Lozz above.

Why not try a Sansamp or a Zoom B3 to add more sounds to your palette?