Why become a member? ×

What does compression do?

waynepunkdude

Why be so hard on yourself? It's just one of those things you learn about at some time or other, if you get your hands on one. :)

It smooths out the volume levels of a signal, so that there isn't as much variation in level. Above a certain threshold, it reduces the signal by an amount proportional to its level over that threshold. One effect is to increase the apparent sustain on a note.

As I'm sure you can imagine, this could sound horrible if done carelessly, so a compression unit will have controls to fine-tune the effect:
- threshold: you obviously don't want to boost background noise, so signals below the threshold setting are not boosted
- attack: how quickly the compression kicks in, so that the attack (slap, pluck) is squashed or not
- ratio: the amount by which the signal is squashed. Higher ratio means more squash.

Wikipedia has lots more geeky detail, with graphs and links [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_level_compression"]here[/url].

Edited by bnt

Would something like this work for bass?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DBX-266A-ProJect-One-Rack-mount-Compressor-Gate_W0QQitemZ260253621920QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item260253621920&_trkparms=72%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DBX-266A-ProJect-One...id=p3286.c0.m14[/url]

Or would you need a specific bass compressor?

That's more a studio compressor if anything. Get a pedal, more portable. And i didn't know what a compressor did until a few months ago.

In laymens terms it makes loud things quieter and quiet things louder, there's not that many applications for them, i get along without one fine most of the time, though one application would be slapping, slapping is a lot louder than fingerpicking, and if you're switching between the two in a song, the slapping can seem too loud or the fingerpicking too quiet. A compressor smooths out those levels so you don't have such a harsh change in dynamics. Though it can sound crap too if you use it wrong.

There's a previous thread on the DBX 266 [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=19512&hl=DBX+266"]here[/url]. I don't doubt it would "work", but it's all manual controls, and would be better in a studio. I don't think I'd like it for gigging:it's a whole rack space for a function you can have in a multi-FX unit or a (pre)amp, and it has no programmability, not even support for a on/off footswitch.

They're dead useful live and almost essential in the studio but it depends what sort of music you play as to how you use them. I used to play a fretless Jazz in a very hardcore band and a compressor was so good for keeping the riffs tight and evenly attenuated with the guitars. I used a pick most of the time and I found it even better with pick. Try one in a rehearsal and see if it gives you the feelings you like.

[quote name='silddx' post='229104' date='Jun 29 2008, 05:10 PM']They're dead useful live and almost essential in the studio but it depends what sort of music you play as to how you use them. I used to play a fretless Jazz in a very hardcore band and a compressor was so good for keeping the riffs tight and evenly attenuated with the guitars. I used a pick most of the time and I found it even better with pick. Try one in a rehearsal and see if it gives you the feelings you like.[/quote]
i might borrow one from a mate and try it out before i take the plunge, sound good though.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='228946' date='Jun 29 2008, 12:03 PM']I have been playing bass for years, i have never used compression.

What does it do?

P.S I know I'm a dumbass.[/quote]
Not knowing something doesn't (IMO) make you a dumbass.
How else would you find out other than asking?
There's tons I don't know and I'm an old fart.
You're in the right place anyhow as someone here will explain very well.

I have mine so finger style is a good level, then I can build up louder untill the frets start buzzing to get a growl, then it stops there, and I got it so the slap noise level matches the level of the growl. Nice when you throw a random pop or slap into a normal finger style bass line.

Couldnt comment on the pick

I've always used the compressor on my Gallien Krueger, it seems to give me a 'tighter' sound on URB. However on my more recent amps (AI Clarus, eg) they don't have a comp and I don't miss it, so go figure.

Bassace nostalgic/boring mode - I played with Ted Fletcher in the sixties and he made me a compressor on his bench in ten minutes - first ever Ted product? Basically a lv light bulb was connected across the speaker output so the greater the output the brighter the bulb. The brightness was picked up by a photocell which then limited the volume peak if the output got too much. At least, I think that's what it did.

Ted Fletcher, for those that don't know him is the father of Guy Fletcher, keyboards with Roxy Music and now Dire Straits/Mark Knoffler, also father of Konrad Fletcher sound engineer on Weakest Link etc. He is also brother of Guy Fletcher (Guy's uncle - confused?) who is a big noise in PRS and wrote lots of top ten tunes incl one for Elvis, Hollies, Cliff, Frankie Valli and 'discovered' Chris de Burgh, although we won't hold that against him. He is the dad of Justin Fletcher of CeeBeebies fame. A talented family.

I think I'll lie down now.

Don't forget about the compression's kid brother - the Limiter.

In laymans terms again - the top half of a compressor. It limits the peaks but does NOT boost the troughs. Useful for the more heavy handed of us who wish to sound more dynamic during quieter playing.
Your speaker's may love you for it.

[quote name='bassace' post='229242' date='Jun 29 2008, 08:41 PM']I've always used the compressor on my Gallien Krueger, it seems to give me a 'tighter' sound on URB. However on my more recent amps (AI Clarus, eg) they don't have a comp and I don't miss it, so go figure.

Bassace nostalgic/boring mode - I played with Ted Fletcher in the sixties and he made me a compressor on his bench in ten minutes - first ever Ted product? Basically a lv light bulb was connected across the speaker output so the greater the output the brighter the bulb. The brightness was picked up by a photocell which then limited the volume peak if the output got too much. At least, I think that's what it did.

Ted Fletcher, for those that don't know him is the father of Guy Fletcher, keyboards with Roxy Music and now Dire Straits/Mark Knoffler, also father of Konrad Fletcher sound engineer on Weakest Link etc. He is also brother of Guy Fletcher (Guy's uncle - confused?) who is a big noise in PRS and wrote lots of top ten tunes incl one for Elvis, Hollies, Cliff, Frankie Valli and 'discovered' Chris de Burgh, although we won't hold that against him. He is the dad of Justin Fletcher of CeeBeebies fame. A talented family.

I think I'll lie down now.[/quote]

IIRC he was behind the "Joe Meek" brand (lurid green boxes) which became "TFPro" (lurid red boxes) and (I may be confused here) has gone back to Joe Meek (or some of it has).

I've got aTFPro Q1 preamp/optical compressor which I use for both recording and live and it's a great bit of kit. I bought Ashdown's dual band pedal but it's pants in comparison.

[quote name='bassace' post='229242' date='Jun 29 2008, 08:41 PM']Bassace nostalgic/boring mode - I played with Ted Fletcher in the sixties and he made me a compressor on his bench in ten minutes - first ever Ted product? Basically a lv light bulb was connected across the speaker output so the greater the output the brighter the bulb. The brightness was picked up by a photocell which then limited the volume peak if the output got too much. At least, I think that's what it did.[/quote]

These types of compressors work very well on bass - I believe that's what's in the Punch Factory though with an LED rather than a bulb. I have one in my TFPro vocal stage that I use for recording.

I have never ever heard of a recording that doesn't use some compression on the bass. Live it's a matter of taste and technique. I used to but I haven't for ages.

Alex

Compressors are especially great with a pick, reduces the click of the plectrum and brings out some of the actual sound of the bass while then keep the higher frequencies generated by the click. :)

In rock music, compression is used on everything... fact

[quote name='charic' post='229325' date='Jun 29 2008, 10:27 PM']Compressors are especially great with a pick, reduces the click of the plectrum and brings out some of the actual sound of the bass while then keep the higher frequencies generated by the click. :)

In rock music, compression is used on everything... fact[/quote]

I'm going to have to give it a try and i love the Jeremy Kyle style FACT.