Why become a member? ×

Which all valve amp to replace my...

andydye

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1388864654' post='2327145']
Those Orange Terror things baffle me, they are just a box with knobs sticking out.
absolute no protection for the controls or anything, a full flight case must be a requirmenent and I bet you have to be carefull putting it in that.
[/quote]

i actually think there pretty hard wearing the bag you get is padded and ive never had a prob, however i am going to get a flightcase soon as my band is try ing to go on tour so it'll be easier to through in the back of the van.

andy

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1388864654' post='2327145']
Those Orange Terror things baffle me, they are just a box with knobs sticking out.
absolute no protection for the controls or anything, a full flight case must be a requirmenent and I bet you have to be carefull putting it in that.
[/quote]

It's pretty common with D class amps and beyond. See examples from Markbass, Genz, Glockenklang, EBS, EA, Mesa, Aguilar, Vanderkley, Carvin etc. etc.

Well I borrowed an AD200b from a local guitar shop for our band practice last night and feckadoodle is it heavy! Looks damn good but oo it's a weighty chuffer!

The sound through my EAD Foundation 212 was big and fruity, filling the room easily with gain at 12 o'clock and master on 2 (8 o'clock ish) but from where I was standing (to the side of the cab and not in front so less than ideal) it was awfully woolly too and lacked definition on any individual notes I was playing.

our drummer said it sounded really good and noticeably different from the markbass LMIII head I usually use and he was in a better listening position tbh, we also recorded the practice with a condensor mic on a stick (we did this the week before and the live sound was pretty good and had good bass content as it's a decent mic) so will leave final judgement until I've heard the songs back.

Last week's recording with LMIII through EAD 212 and using my Cabronita P the sound was a bit 'honky' in the mids for what I'm after (a bit too aggressive and humbuckery) and I blamed the s/s amp, I suspect now it was the bass (fidelitron pickup in it) and will be toddling along to my dealer (local music shop) for another fix on Saturday where I'll try the USA p bass I originally tried the orange with in the shop and compare it to my cabronita...I may yet do the amp change but I suspect that the first port of call is the wood&wires and get that right...

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1389091012' post='2329683']
Well I borrowed an AD200b from a local guitar shop for our band practice last night and feckadoodle is it heavy! Looks damn good but oo it's a weighty chuffer!

The sound through my EAD Foundation 212 was big and fruity, filling the room easily with gain at 12 o'clock and master on 2 (8 o'clock ish) but from where I was standing (to the side of the cab and not in front so less than ideal) it was awfully woolly too and lacked definition on any individual notes I was playing.

our drummer said it sounded really good and noticeably different from the markbass LMIII head I usually use and he was in a better listening position tbh, we also recorded the practice with a condensor mic on a stick (we did this the week before and the live sound was pretty good and had good bass content as it's a decent mic) so will leave final judgement until I've heard the songs back.

Last week's recording with LMIII through EAD 212 and using my Cabronita P the sound was a bit 'honky' in the mids for what I'm after (a bit too aggressive and humbuckery) and I blamed the s/s amp, I suspect now it was the bass (fidelitron pickup in it) and will be toddling along to my dealer (local music shop) for another fix on Saturday where I'll try the USA p bass I originally tried the orange with in the shop and compare it to my cabronita...I may yet do the amp change but I suspect that the first port of call is the wood&wires and get that right...
[/quote]

to be honest going from a the lm3 id expect the orange to sound a bit less tight in the bottom end, but gd idea in trying your bass through the rig although that could mean you end up wanting the new p bass aswell lol

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1389092362' post='2329697']
to be honest going from a the lm3 id expect the orange to sound a bit less tight in the bottom end, but gd idea in trying your bass through the rig although that could mean you end up wanting the new p bass aswell lol
[/quote]

it is indeed a sad, sad situation matey! the p-bass in the shop was a good one as far as fender go too, I'm rather expecting to be bringing it home :gas:

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1389092635' post='2329704']
very sad i feel for you really i do lol
andy
[/quote]

your sympathy is appreciated matey, I feel that admitting the problem is often the first step to recovery :crazy:

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1389091012' post='2329683']
... but from where I was standing (to the side of the cab and not in front so less than ideal) it was awfully woolly too and lacked definition on any individual notes I was playing.

[/quote]

Well boy howdy, that ain't right.

The whole point of these rigs is that they fill the place with bass, and you should be able to hear yourself pretty much anywhere. As to "woolly" and "lacking definition" that sounds like a duff head to me. My Matamp is right at the other end of the spectrum from those descriptions.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1389092841' post='2329709']
Well boy howdy, that ain't right.

The whole point of these rigs is that they fill the place with bass, and you should be able to hear yourself pretty much anywhere. As to "woolly" and "lacking definition" that sounds like a duff head to me. My Matamp is right at the other end of the spectrum from those descriptions.
[/quote]

bit quick to jump to duff head imo,

andy

[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1389112868' post='2330169']
Just get a p bass , an ampeg and be done with it !!
[/quote]

[quote name='bigbottomend' timestamp='1389164166' post='2330709']
+1 SVT and P = Heaven
I'm based in South Yorks, I'm not lending them out but pm me if you want to try out a 70's SVT or a B15
[/quote]

[quote name='Pow_22' timestamp='1389167428' post='2330724']
What he said
[/quote]

The p-bass aspect of the solution is being investigated on saturday when I take my cabronita into a local shop that has the p I've got my eye on...

SVT, thanks for the suggestion guys but no thanks, I've listened back to the recordings of our practice and the amp sounded awesome (the bass still isn't quite doing it for me though)! Me being stood next to and slightly behind my cab meant I missed out on all the direct clarity and just caught the reverberations of the large room...every note sounds big, fat and distinct when played finger style and there's a lovely clarity when played with a pick!

Solution, buy amp and a longer lead ;)

No p bass yet, I couldn't stomach paying £1100 for a bog std usa fender, it felt ok but for 900 ish I can get an acg graft!

S/h for me folks...
rosewood board p bass 2011-2014, burst, black, natural or oly white I think :)

ad200b snagged on ebay for a pretty penny, should arrive tuesday when I conveniently have the day off ;)

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1389552652' post='2335467']
ad200b snagged on ebay for a pretty penny, should arrive tuesday when I conveniently have the day off ;)
[/quote]

[url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/70kg-folding-trolley-n48jq"]http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/70kg-folding-trolley-n48jq[/url]

[quote name='Salt on your Bass?' timestamp='1389720522' post='2337216']
PICTURES!!! I demand pictures or this thread is 1) worthless or 2) a dream!!!

:P
[/quote]

if you can contain yourself a little longer there will be pics tomorrow when am at my work pc and the p has arrived ;)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1389613752' post='2336041']
[url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/70kg-folding-trolley-n48jq"]http://www.maplin.co...g-trolley-n48jq[/url]
[/quote]

I bought one of those last year, well bloody handy! :)

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1389552652' post='2335467']
[/quote]

Woot! Excellent! Plus... m[size=4]y Burman Valve Pre and Power is now 100% and ready to go, so it'll be all-valve heaven soon! [/size] :gas: