Why become a member? ×

Mixing strings?

Mr Fretbuzz

I was thinking. Is it a good idea or stupid idea to mix strings? I thought maybe flats on the E and A and rounds on the D and G. I thought perhaps it would give a deep tone to the lower strings and a brighter tone to the higher strings... or would it just sound unbalanced?

I guess it's a stupid idea or the string makers would have brought out mixed sets already .... If it's a good idea I'm claiming copyright :-D

You would probably need to play around with the pick up pole pieces to balance the volume (I broke a D string at a gig and even a fresh new roundwound against the older worn in ones was way too strong).

Only real issue I can see is where do you want the rich mellow tone to stop and the brightness to take over (although you could change this by fret positions).

Only one way to find out.....

I`ve found, in my limited use of them, that flats are way quieter than rounds, so it would require a fair bit of tinkering around I reckon. Doable, but then there`s the age old problem of if a string goes, a new one may completely knock out the balance as per Mykes post above.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1387274416' post='2310017']
Personally if I was going to do it I'd probably go the other way---rounds on the E/A and flats on the D/G. I think this would give a much better balance of timbre across the instrument.

But why not give it a go? It could sound ace.
[/quote]

You could string two basses up and actually use both full sets :D

I'm currently running EAD as flats and G as a round after I'd forgotten the old set of flats I tried to put on my JV were from an old 2+2 headed guitar and the chopped G string wouldn't reach to the tuning peg. I haven't noticed a volume difference, but in my brain it feels like the zingier G string helps with the definition of the high notes for the specific work I'm using it for without having to make the bass brighter in tone overall (which I personally don't like). It makes sense to me, and one day when I've saved up for another full set, it will be flats all the way!

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1387306617' post='2310560']
I'm a bit OCD and must have the same strings on my basses. My p bass is currently strung with 4 E strings, the Yamaha with 4 A's and the Ibanez with 4 D's... It does mean I now have 4 G strings though :o
[/quote]

What a very interesting idea. I would love to hear how four E strings sound. Might give it a go one day.z

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1387274416' post='2310017']
Personally if I was going to do it I'd probably go the other way---rounds on the E/A and flats on the D/G. I think this would give a much better balance of timbre across the instrument.

But why not give it a go? It could sound ace.
[/quote]

Yeah, me too, make the B/E a bit more lively with rounds and the A/D/G a bit less harsh with the flats.
Of course there are half rounds to consider, all the different gauges, different materials (as mentioned), and all the different manufacturers. The possibilities would be almost endless if you had the time (and money) to experiment with them all.

Edited by Count Bassy