Why become a member? ×

Carol Kaye, THERE'S a bass player...

LITTLEWING

Absolutely love her bass lines, she and Joe Osborn had that incredible sound that had everything to do with that West Coast sound of the time. Her playing on Pet Sounds is amazing, if mostly the brainwork of Brain Wilson, but still perfectly executed. Her stuff with Glenn Campbell, Lalo Schifrin, David Axelrod is all sheer quality.

I can also recommend The wrecking crew, a documentary about the aforementioned Wrecking crew, who played on countless hits and albums,Carol is the main bass player and also plays very nice guitar, I found it absolutely fascinating,

Edited by jimbaby

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1386715064' post='2303702']
Her stuff with... David Axelrod is all sheer quality.
[/quote]

Oh yes...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhxdnq_1OcM&list=PL2703336C6017C7A5"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhxdnq_1OcM&list=PL2703336C6017C7A5[/url]

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1386755549' post='2303969']
You'd be surprised. ;) I have met two bassists who'd never heard of her.

A great lady who is still playing at 78 years old.
[/quote]
I'd be amazed if anyone on BC hasn't heard of her but if they haven't then what a pleasant discovery!

No one really talked about any these session players at the time and they certainly weren't talked about in the way they are today. It took a long time for them to get the recognition for what they brought to those recordings.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1386759306' post='2304043']
Here's an example of a Film Soundtrack that Carol Kaye played on....

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hVF4u01kKs[/media]
[/quote]

The level of playing standard on all this stuff from that period of gems never stops amazing me.
And not to mention the top, top arranging and writing is criminal.
It was great how most of the players and writing/arranging teams on those sessions drew from all their
Jazz background experience.

Thanks for the video post, not stumbled on that one before.

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1386760781' post='2304072']
The level of playing standard on all this stuff from that period of gems never stops amazing me.
And not to mention the top, top arranging and writing is criminal.
It was great how most of the players and writing/arranging teams on those sessions drew from all their
Jazz background experience.

Thanks for the video post, not stumbled on that one before.
[/quote]\
Yes, really impressive. In the 60s and 70s an album would often be released with no sessions musicians listed at all. It was only later that these musicians got the credit they deserved. It took me years to find out who played on the first few Laura Nyro LPs and when i finally did it was just all the regular New York first call session musicians.

Talking about session musicians it's worth listening to these podcasts: http://www.insidemusicast.com/archives/ There's some great memories of session work on some of those podcasts. The Chuck Rainey one is fascinating where he talks about those days when there were New York session players played on all the hits recorded in NYC and West Coast session musicians that played on the hits recorded in LA.