Why become a member? ×

Why am I gassing for a 4003?

police squad

[quote name='steviedee' timestamp='1386438210' post='2300169']
Buy one, I've persevered and at this specific moment in time it's the bass I like playing the most. It looks awesome and sounds like a herd of wild horses revving Harley Davidsons in a canyon somewhere.
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1386853518' post='2305353']
Depends what you put them through IME. Through the small Ashdown combo at rehearsal mine sounded a bit flat but through my Hartke, with a tweak of the shape control, it sounded like the biggest 4001/4003 you ever heard, and I have the 2 best-sounding 4001s (IMO) I've ever heard to compare it against. Amazing sound, possibly the best I've had, and gutted I had to sell it because (ironically) the ergonomics didn't suit. Having said that, mine sounded a lot better than the other one I tried in the shop.
[/quote]

I recorded with it the other week & it still sounds great. I had to tweak things a little when I first got it as my amp setup was based mainly around 4003/4001 basses, but I've managed to find a point where I'm getting great sounds from my presets with any of my basses.

To the OP, I'd say if you want one, get one!

Edited by jonsmith

[quote name='jonsmith' timestamp='1387053616' post='2307875']
I recorded with it the other week & it still sounds great. I had to tweak things a little when I first got it as my amp setup was based mainly around 4003/4001 basses, but I've managed to find a point where I'm getting great sounds from my presets with any of my basses.

[/quote]

Glad to hear it Jon. I made the mistake of watching some home footage I'd recorded with it; it sounded depressingly awesome. If only I'd had one before my arm problems started.

[quote name='BigBassBob' timestamp='1386851325' post='2305294']
I like my 4003 but it literally took several years of a love/hate relationship before I settled with it. Setup is absolutely crucial with these things. I mean, I know every bass requires a decent setup but [b]getting it right on a Rickenbacker takes time and patience. Once everything is set perfectly then you're gold but they can be extremely frustrating instruments to work on.[/b]

Taking the pickup cover off makes playing them a lot easier in my experience. Setting the neck practically dead-flat was necessary too; with a touch of relief the intonation along the neck suffers badly. From my understanding of bass construction and the physics involved it doesn't make that much sense but I was seriously having terrible intonation with even a little bit of relief.

Always remember when playing a RIC: it's not a Fender. This can be good or bad for you. For me, it's just another flavour to mix up my arsenal :)
[/quote]

I've said this before but a lot of this depends on what you're used to. I can set up a Ric far quicker and easier than I can a Fender or similar, simply because virtually every Fender-type I've had to set up I've had to shim the neck, something which doesn't come happily or naturally to me as a mainly neck-through player. I hate shimming necks, whereas for some it's probably a moment's work.

Also, as someone who naturally plays with a very straight neck (the bass, not me ;) ) that's not an issue for me at all; in fact it's when I can't get a neck dead straight that I'm in trouble, which is where all of my Fender-types - and I appreciate I may just have been unlucky - have fallen down. I'm not saying that one is superior to the other, just that it's about what you're used to.

Edited by 4000

• 2 months later...

Still haven't tried any out yet but I did pick up a black rockinbetter, locally, for £250. I've got a genuine rick 4003 hi gain neck pickup to go in it. Gigged it once, (so far) with a Jam tribute band. 'Love the Rik' said one punter!! It sounded ok I thought. Looks great too. Plays as good as anything else. No sharp fret ends, decent action, no crackles from the electrics and strung with DR Neons 45-105 (white ones)
I'd post a picture but can't seem to anymore. Something has changed and I can't work it out

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1386437480' post='2300153']
I can't stand it. Don't like the way he runs his company and all that but I quite fancy one.
I've owned several in the past, even a really good copy but I don't need one. I certainly couldn't use it in my Police tribute.

I can even get one interest free

AAAARRRGGHGHGH help
[/quote]
Relax. It will pass in approximately 5 days.

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1393831359' post='2384675'] It sounded ok I thought. Looks great too. Plays as good as anything else. No sharp fret ends, decent action, no crackles from the electrics and strung with DR Neons 45-105 (white ones)
[/quote]

They are great, the weakest point is the neck pickup, I replaced mine recently. Hmm.. thinking white strings on my white bass, that might look good!