Why become a member? ×

Using a guitar amp head as a bass amp

Roger2611

Customarily detailed SOS review [url="http://www.soundonsound.com/pm/nov07/articles/hiwatthigain.htm"]here[/url].

In ref to channel 1 (Clean) the review says: "Volume can go brutally loud and still stay dirt-free all the way to maximum, although an overall inherent hard-ish edge is apparent, rather than the slightly compressed, ringing zing characteristic of more costly Hiwatts."

So I imagine that - paired with a suitable cab - it should do service. If even the clean channel is too spiky you could always spend a tenner subbing out a 12AX7 for a lower rated pre-amp valve and see how it sounds.

FWIW I gigged a Marshall 50w non-master through a 2x12 for a while and it sounded fine, though not exactly sproingy modern.

In the 70's I played a Marshall Super Lead 100 for a few years. I bought it from the Marshall shop and after trying a few amps I chose it over the bass version. I thought it sounded livelier and punchier.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1385914834' post='2293550']
Hi,

I have been offered a rather nice Hiwatt 100watt valve Hi Gain guitar amp head, obviously I would have to keep the gain under control but other than that is there any reason this wouldn't make for a cracking valve bass amp?

Cheers
Rog
[/quote]

Worked well enough for JJ Burnell, although he used a 50w.

I toured with a band whose bassist used a Marshall Guitar head and guitar cab and his sound was amazing. For deep scooped bass tones I wouldn`t recommend it but for punchy rock-type in your face tones guitar stuff sounds ok - to me - for bass.