Why become a member? ×

Hello from Marion, Arkansas

fretlessguy

I bring you greetings from Marion, Arkansas, USA.

I have been playing bass off and on now for 30 years. I have, as you can guess from my log in name, do enjoy playing fretless basses and love that "mwah" sound they make. However, as of late, I play fretted bass more.

My occupation is that of a primary school teacher, where I teach 3rd grade (8 and 9 year olds). I am married, and have a 4 year old daughter who is very inquisitive and eyes my basses and other instruments too much, so I bought her her own bass (ukelele) and hand drums so as to leave mine alone. :)

My main band as far as recording is Carroll, Covington, and Wyatt, which is Christian music played in the folk style of say Peter, Paul, an Mary or The Kingston Trio. We have recently finished our debut CD, "Songs From "Yesterday", a collection of tradtional hymns ("Be Thou my Vision" / "When I Survey", etc.) and played on electric bass and guitar as well as traditional acoustic stringed instruments, and hand drums. We will not be playing in support of it until our lead singer finishes her studies at the local university in 2009. I also play live with a Southern Gospel band known locally as "The Messengers". At 48 years of age, I am the youngster of that particular group. Everyone else is over 60.

Besides bass, I also play (or play at) African hand drums, Irish bouzouki, acoustic and tenor guitars, octave and tenor mandolas. I also enjoy recording in my small home studio. On Sundays during church services I can be found in the sound booth pushing buttons and moving sliders.

Besides Christian music, I am a fan of progressive rock such as YES or Emerson, Lake & Palmer. I also listen to classical music as well.
I am looking forward to the exchanging of ideas. Please be patient with me if I do not pick up on some of the slang immediately.

Despite what stereotypes you may have heard about Arkansas, yes, I do wear shoes, did not marry my cousin (she wasn't even related to me) and do not drink 'moonshine" although some of my ancestry most certainly did. We do enjoy watching a game called "football' here, but our ball is shaped funny and players wear armor and throw it and run with it instead.

Doug "fretlessguy" Wyatt

Hello Doug

good to have a Yes fan on board ,I was in Steve Howe's house a couple of years ago as my niece was friends with his daughter but he wasn't home although I met his lovely wife Jan, pity about the moonshine I am partial to the Irish version :)

Can you explain why Kansas if pronounced 'Canzus' and Arkansas is pronounced 'R can saw'?

:huh:

Peter

Well, I will try......

Kansas and Arkansas both are names that have their roots in Native American (Used to be Indian, but political correctness abounds here these days) languages. Kansas comes from the word "Kansa" which the original meaning was "People of the Southwind". Arkansas comes from the Quapaw tribes name, which means "People who live downstream". Quawpaw was originally pronounced "Ugakhpah" (ug-ak-paw). Somehow, probably a Europeon derived version, Kansa became can-zus while the Arkansas name stayed closer to the original. Well, that was the best I can do anyway.... :)

Thanks to all for your welcome.

Yes, I am big YES fan as well as a classic progressive fan. Other classic and current Progsters I listen to are Marillion, Kansas, Steve Hackett's solo stuff, and an American outfit called "Spock's Beard", which is probably THE American prog band going right now. They have a fantastic bassist whose name is Dave Meros, who is our answer to Chris Squire.

kennyrodg: The avatar doesn't bother me. I am sure Jesus has a sense of humor (I hope). :huh:

Mic Mac Moe: I agree. In all of the things about basses I like, none are as beautiful as an unlined ebony fretless neck. Mmmmmmm...good! :huh:

ste_m3: Nice Bongo. And I don't mean a drum. :)

[quote]Can you explain why Kansas if pronounced 'Canzus' and Arkansas is pronounced 'R can saw'?

biggrin.gif

Peter

Well, I will try......

Kansas and Arkansas both are names that have their roots in Native American (Used to be Indian, but political correctness abounds here these days) languages. Kansas comes from the word "Kansa" which the original meaning was "People of the Southwind". Arkansas comes from the Quapaw tribes name, which means "People who live downstream". Quawpaw was originally pronounced "Ugakhpah" (ug-ak-paw). Somehow, probably a Europeon derived version, Kansa became can-zus while the Arkansas name stayed closer to the original. Well, that was the best I can do anyway.... rolleyes.gif[/quote]

Brilliant, thanks

:)

Peter

[quote name='fretlessguy' post='228195' date='Jun 27 2008, 05:33 PM']Hi Marion- nice to have some American ladies on here.

Tell us a bit about yourself :)

Ha Ha! Check out my post and read very carefully! Wrong gender. :huh:

Cheers,
Doug[/quote]

Sorry Doug- couldn't resist :huh:

Glad to see there's another Marillion fan around. Pete's playing is one of the reasons I started learning bass

Glad to see there's another Marillion fan around. Pete's playing is one of the reasons I started learning bass

Thanks. I think Pete is one of the unsung heros or the bass world. I have enjoyed Marillion through both eras (both Fish and Steve Hogarth). This may upset some, but I do like Fish's singing, I prefer to listen to Steve's. Their Cds are hard to get here, and I usually order them online. Shame on me, I haven't bought the last two new ones...... :)

"Hi, and good to see another Christian on board, hides under table and waits for the flack!"

Thanks, psycoandy. I will tend to discuss all things bass here. I realize that it is a bass site and not one for discussing religions, nor bashing thereof. However, my playing of Christian music is part of my experiance, just as much as playing any other style is for anyone else. :)
Hopefully, if someone has an issue with it, or wishes to discuss theology, I will be glad to discuss it thru e-mail or PM, and not here in a blog.
I am looking to have a pleasant time with everyone here, that is, if I can understand English/Scottish/ Welsh/Irish slang and figure it out! :huh:
Once again, thanks for the welcome.
Doug

Hi Doug

Welcome! :)

So you like prog rock? - just for you, - enjoy :huh:

Hamster

WHOA!

Great video, Hamster. I had no idea Curved Air had any that existed. I'll have to get on the tube and check the others out. I was never all that familiar with them, other than a "Best Of" collection I bought some years back. I know that Eddie Jobson was a member in the group's latter days.
Did you notice the Dan Armstrong/Ampeg see through bass the fellow was using? They were as heavy as a load of bricks. Wierd looking.
Thanks very much for the bit of history.

fretlessguy