Why become a member? ×

Ampeg vs Barefaced

Dropzone

[quote name='Dropzone' timestamp='1384878394' post='2281778']
I have also run 1 x 15 and 2 x 10 Hartke cabs through a HA2000 and they sounded really good [b]and the amp never blew up.[/b]

[/quote]
it wouldn't as both those cabs are 8 ohms meaning the total load is 4 ohm [8x8/8+8= 64/16 ] and HA amps do run to 4 ohms

Be super careful with a PF500 and any low impedance load. They have a nasty rep for going 'bang' at the slightest provocation :(

A dead PF500 isn't the worst thing in the world but if you shred your speakers at the same time then it really won't be a lot of fun.

Definitely make sure you have a separate DI option (like a little Sansamp pedal or similar) if you're planning on gigging the PF.

....Having run just the S12 at low volume last night the low A was farting a bit....
[/quote]

Farting at low volume won't be a problem with the cab, and not one that extra cabs will resolve.

The footprint of the S12 is about half that of the Mk1 Compact. Looks brilliant together, If only I could work out how to add pictures.

[/quote]

This confuses me. I've owned a mk1 and mk2 Compact together, and an S12, and mine all had the same footprint.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1384877870' post='2281770']
Well Pete, the 'mis-matched' 2x10 / 1x15 setup was indeed popular for a long time. As was the Laney Linebacker... :ph34r:

Thing is, some of these were designed to work together. My rig with similar speakers was bi-amped with a crossover for example, and it worked brilliantly. but that does not mean that any old 2x10 and any old 1x15 will work well together, especially with just the one amp.

SOME of the Barefaced modular series were designed to be used together or apart. The Super12 and Compact were part of this range, along with the Midget I believe... Having said that, I personally see no need for these sort of stacks unless you're playing in a stadium without PA support!

To the OP. The Super12 will easily handle twice the power your Ampeg can muster. You can get the full 500 watts out of it just by using the Super12 on it's own. You'll get 60-70% of that with the compact on its own (8 ohms). If you use them together in series you will still get about 70% power. That's with all the knobs at 11 mind...

So just use the Super12, turn it up so you can't hear every person in a 30 mile radius telling you to turn that f****g thing down!!
[/quote]

Pretty much it really.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1384876866' post='2281753']
I have noticed that the resident experts on here are quick to tell everyone not to use mismatched cabs even though a 1x15 and 2x10 was a very popular rig for a long time yet the most popular mismatched rig I see now is normally some kind of Barefaced mountain of various cabs piled up with some on their side etc?
[/quote]

That's a different issue, we're talking running in series here - the impedance curve mismatch between the dissimilar drivers will Mess S**t Up.

I agree that the theoretical problems of running different speakers (in parallel) can be overstated compared to real world situations. Sometimes it messes up the bass end, but even then you might not notice! The room will often do a lot more 'damage' to that region.

[quote name='Dropzone' timestamp='1384897018' post='2282128']
S12 definately louder than thecompact and shifts air nicely. [/quote]

You'd expect that because the S12 has two drivers and is a 4 ohm cab! The Compact only has the one 15 and is rated at 8 ohms - so will draw less power from your amp at any particular setting. They also have different voicings, with the S12 being (I believe) more mid-focussed.

All of these factors make it seem louder and actually be louder.

Why anyone would need more than a S12 is beyond me... sounds like there is a problem somewhere. It could be the amp, but it could also be something else.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1384877870' post='2281770']
SOME of the Barefaced modular series were designed to be used together or apart. [/quote]

To quote from the BFB website: [i]"the Compact and Midget are actually designed to work together, not just stack neatly - with similar phase response for optimal coupling and carefully matched power handling so you can push the 15" in the Compact to its limits without the 12" in the Midget struggling"[/i]

[quote name='barkin' timestamp='1384939454' post='2282437']
But you said it farted with the button in. That's 15dB cut...

???
[/quote]

My mistake, meant with the button out. In my quest for volume, there is loads more without cutting but this seem to overload something either in either the amp or cab. Both basses I tried are active so it might be too much but even the E was farting without cutting it. However, cutting does remove a lot of the low end oomph, which makes me sad.

[quote name='Dropzone' timestamp='1384868403' post='2281597']
I have just purchased and Ampeg PF 500 and a Barefaced Super 12 to also run with a Mk 1 Barefaced Compact.

At the back of the amp there is a speakon and jack output. With both cabs having speakon outputs. Does it matter which I run to which or is it all gravy?
[/quote]

No - electrically it's all the same, the outputs are parallel connected.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1384876866' post='2281753']
I have noticed that the resident experts on here are quick to tell everyone not to use mismatched cabs even though a 1x15 and 2x10 was a very popular rig for a long time yet the most popular mismatched rig I see now is normally some kind of [b]Barefaced mountain[/b] of various cabs piled up with some on their side etc?
[/quote]That has just given me an idea for a screenplay. It's about 2 bass players who take a bit of a shine to each other...........................

[quote name='Dropzone' timestamp='1384953555' post='2282697']
....Size and volume (with a good tone) is everything....
[/quote]

Why do you think you're missing something by not being able to run both cabs?

The Super12 on its own will take much more than your amp can deliver.