Why become a member? ×

Stupidly low bids

I put stupidly low bids on a whole lot of stuff. E.g. I've just bid a bit over £100 for a WAL. I've never actually won with one of these bids.

However, there are people who bid lower, much, lower. E.g. for the WAL I'm beating out two other bidders even though the bid has only risen to £26. What are people thinking when they bid £0.99p (as one of them did) on a WAL or similar expensive item?

[quote name='throwoff' timestamp='1384768649' post='2280347']
I stuck 175 on a silver series strat a few days back which is a silly low bid.

Won it.
[/quote]
A great buy indeed at an excellent price but that's not really a silly low bid. It does however reflect the current market where most things aren't selling for the price they were a few years ago.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1384536234' post='2277918']
What are people thinking when they bid £0.99p (as one of them did) on a WAL or similar expensive item?
[/quote]

They're thinking exactly the same as you are with your £100 bids.

In the past I've used really low bids instead of "watching" the item. The reminders and notifications you get for eBay are different (and harder to miss) for an item you've actually bid on.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1384774064' post='2280452']
They're thinking exactly the same as you are with your £100 bids.
[/quote]

The £100 bids usually stay winning a bit longer though :) I enjoy looking to see what I'm currently 'winning', and feel disappointed if it's currently nothing.

[quote]
In the past I've used really low bids instead of "watching" the item. The reminders and notifications you get for eBay are different (and harder to miss) for an item you've actually bid on.
[/quote]

That's a good point. I have found the emails I get when I'm no longer winning that Shuker fretless 6-string for £100 a bit strident. They seem to be written to encourage, erm, panic re-bidding and 'I MUST BEAT THEM' attitudes. OMG! I'M NO LONGER THE HIGHEST BIDDER!!!! HURRY!!!! BID BID BID!!!!

Edited by Annoying Twit

• 3 weeks later...

Yay, I'm currently the winning bidder on this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ovation-B768-Elite-Acoustic-Bass-Guitar-Black-Including-Hard-Case-/271341979667?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3f2d3e0813&autorefresh=true

For some strange reason, I'm not looking up how to get to Leek on public transport.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1386508297' post='2300796']
Yay, I'm currently the winning bidder on this: [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ovation-B768-Elite-Acoustic-Bass-Guitar-Black-Including-Hard-Case-/271341979667?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3f2d3e0813&autorefresh=true"]http://www.ebay.co.u...utorefresh=true[/url]

For some strange reason, I'm not looking up how to get to Leek on public transport.
[/quote]
Agreed. I wouldn't book your supersaver rail ticket just yet. :D

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1384536234' post='2277918']
........ What are people thinking when they bid £0.99p (as one of them did) on a WAL or similar expensive item?
[/quote]

I think, maybe, you don't understand how ebay works? If you bid £200 on an item which has a 99p starting price, your bid is shown as 99p - as you are the only bidder and, although your max bid is £200, you only NEED to bid 99p to win.

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1386764574' post='2304138']
I think, maybe, you don't understand how ebay works? If you bid £200 on an item which has a 99p starting price, your bid is shown as 99p - as you are the only bidder and, although your max bid is £200, you only NEED to bid 99p to win.
[/quote]

No, I understand how ebay works. Frequently I expose these 99p bids when I put on my own £100 stupidly low bid. Also, the actual bids are visible when revising a sold item. There are loads and loads of people bidding 99p maximum bids or similar on worthwhile basses.