Why become a member? ×

Extortionate cruise ship medical?!

jackotheclown

[i]"Dear musicians,[/i]

[i]To work on a cruise ship you must pass a medical exam. [b]How detailed this exam is depends on the cruise line that has offered you a job.[/b] Some include detailed blood analysis, drug tests, chest x-rays, detailed medical questionnaire and more. Some cruise lines require that your Body Mass Index (BMI) is below 35.[/i]

[i]Being in good general health is thus important and we want to make sure our clients are aware of this policy so they won’t be surprised later.[/i]

[i]Some musicians are asking whether they can get a medical exam done before they are offered a gig on a cruise ship. This, however, does not make much sense since all of these cruise lines have different medical exam procedures. Wait until you’ve been offered a job to get a yours done. At that point we’ll be able to give you detailed instructions and provide you with the correct forms.[/i]

[i]Once completed, the medical results are typically valid for 2 years.[/i]

[i]It’s also important to note that the exams are at your cost. Some cruise lines reimburse a part of the costs to you once on board the ship, some don’t."[/i]

[quote name='AndyBob09' timestamp='1384416540' post='2276323']

On a subject unrelated to cost, can someone assure me that a prostate exam will be nae bother? I'm dreading that!
[/quote]

It's not actually painful, just not pleasant. I think the main thing is to relax, which, is as you can imagine not easy when you see the Doc gloving up.
One of those grin and bear it situations, I'm afraid.

[color="#282828"]jackotheclown - did Carnival specify what the medical was? For working offshore/at sea, the standard medical certificate is the ENG1. Although there are slight variations for working in different sectors (Norwegian being one), they are all pretty similar. You can't get an ENG1 from every GP, only from one registered with the MCA. They are fairly easy to find though, and as machinehead said further up, it should cost you about £150. If Carnival are just looking for an ENG1, then the clinic in London is blatantly profiteering and I would report them, if they want a whole lot more than the standard medical, I would be asking why and for them to cough up for it.[/color]

[quote name='jackotheclown' timestamp='1384360870' post='2275702']
So I finally got a cruise ship gig and I have been told that I have to have a medical (obviously). Its with Carnival and the have set medical practices that you have to go through and I've been quoted £450/500 pounds for mine at a place down in London. Carnival don't reimburse you for this just the visa. I thought this amount was a lot but the agency says its a decent quote, I have the appointment booked for Tuesday next week, if someone can tell me if this is a good/bad deal I will be very grateful!

- Jack
[/quote]

You would probably have passed the med if you hadn't had the heart attack and premature ageing when you heard about the price of it! :rolleyes:

Here's a link to a doctor's in Portsmouth that will do the medical. Looks like blood tests are the big cost.
[url="http://www.privategpbrighton.co.uk/carnival.html"]http://www.privategp...k/carnival.html[/url]

Edit: A lonk? A link!

Edited by chaypup

Thanks for all the responses guys. I still have time to cancel the outrageous medical appointment down in London. Just try to get in contact with the agency I'm with to sort out an alternative. When I'm looking back over the emails about the medicals it seems they have these "recommended" clinics where you can do the medical that are private and seem extortionate in price but I may be able to get one on the NHS so thats better news. I think it is a standard medical but it does seem very in depth, even testing for HIV etc.. But yeah should work out ok if I can get hold of the people and my agency and sort it out. The only thing that slightly worries me is when I told one of the guys about the £500 medical quote he said it wasn't that bad of a price quote! So I went ahead and booked, I'm just wondering if I can do it on the NHS why no one from that agency told me... Trying not to worry hah. Should be fine though, I still have time to cancel it..

[quote name='jackotheclown' timestamp='1384457476' post='2277036']
Thanks for all the responses guys. I still have time to cancel the outrageous medical appointment down in London. Just try to get in contact with the agency I'm with to sort out an alternative. When I'm looking back over the emails about the medicals it seems they have these "recommended" clinics where you can do the medical that are private and seem extortionate in price but I may be able to get one on the NHS so thats better news. I think it is a standard medical but it does seem very in depth, even testing for HIV etc.. But yeah should work out ok if I can get hold of the people and my agency and sort it out. The only thing that slightly worries me is when I told one of the guys about the £500 medical quote he said it wasn't that bad of a price quote! So I went ahead and booked, I'm just wondering if I can do it on the NHS why no one from that agency told me... Trying not to worry hah. Should be fine though, I still have time to cancel it..
[/quote]

It's an absurd amount of money for a medical. The risks involved and the insurance to cover them should not need a £500 medical. Perhaps they need to know you are not going to get ill, and therefore need a more comprehensive and expensive medical assessment. Maybe it's a great way for them to make some bucks through a partnership with a private healthcare company doing the assessments.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1384417602' post='2276335']

It's not actually painful, just not pleasant. I think the main thing is to relax, which, is as you can imagine not easy when you see the Doc gloving up.
One of those grin and bear it situations, I'm afraid.
[/quote]

I'd agree with the 'try and relax' comments. My dad died from Prostate cancer, and consequently my GP has me on an higher risk list, so I get it done about every 3 years, now I've hit middle age. That said, the last time I went in, he was off for some reason and I was seen by a young (about 26 I would guess) female locum, who happened to look very much like Kelly Brook, which was very disconcerting. She asked me if I wanted a chaperone in on the examination, which amused me. A mate of mine suggested there are plenty of people who would have paid good money for a similar experience, but I have to say it didn't make it any less unpleasant, although the fact that she just saw me as 'another old bloke' was a bit of a reminder of the passing years!

[quote name='jackotheclown' timestamp='1385045363' post='2283793']
Well I have decided to look around for other clinics closer to home (in and around Manchester), looks like i will have to go privately though cause the NHS may take too long, (I need the medical complete by beginning of December). Does anyone know of any places to try out in the North West?
[/quote]

Have you got a medical form from the Cruise Line? If you have then it's possible your own GP will do it as a private patient (mine does) HOWEVER you will need the form so they know exactly what has to be covered in the medical.

Steve

[quote name='jackotheclown' timestamp='1385045363' post='2283793']
Well I have decided to look around for other clinics closer to home (in and around Manchester), looks like i will have to go privately though cause the NHS may take too long, (I need the medical complete by beginning of December). Does anyone know of any places to try out in the North West?
[/quote]

BMI have a hospital in Cheadle - The Alexandra, and I would imagine they could help.

http://www.bmihealthcare.co.uk/alexandra