Why become a member? ×

ding :(

throwoff

I knew a lead player in 1971 who had a Gibson SG Custom. Pristine without a scratch, or ding on her. Until one night on stage, he had her leaned up against the front of the Acoustic 260 lead amp. A Roadie lost his footing and knocked over the 260, on too the SG. [b]Ouch![/b]

You only really begin to enjoy playing it when you stop worrying about the first ding.
As long as it's an accident and you can't get pissed at someone else you gotta just learn to live with it. I treated my Dingwall like a trophy and it took the enjoyment out of playing it to be honest. In my ever honest wife's words,"Wise up, it looks played now it has a ding in it."

I'm going to add to the chorus of 'Embrace it. It's a good thing. Better to use it than to wrap it in cotton wool and lock it away.'
but some day, soon, my currently pristine new bass will get a dent or a scratch and I'll be so angry at my own clumsiness... for about...oh, a minute or so.
That moment in that famous, tragic fairy tale that Billy Apple told earlier is so annoying because it's just a silly moment of clumsiness and, looking back, it seems so avoidable.
It doesn't matter, though.

Some day, maybe ten years or so from now, I want to get a custom-made bass but I'm worried that, if I do, I'll be insanely protective and careful with it in a way that I'm really not with my current basses. I wonder if anybody here has experienced this?

[quote name='alittlebitrobot' timestamp='1384190591' post='2273759']
Some day, maybe ten years or so from now, I want to get a custom-made bass but I'm worried that, if I do, I'll be insanely protective and careful with it in a way that I'm really not with my current basses. I wonder if anybody here has experienced this?
[/quote]

When my custom basses start to look too shabby, I can rest safe in the knowledge that they can go back to the person who originally made them for an overhaul and come back looking like new. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/29915-gus-g3-5-string/"]I've already done that with one custom bass I own[/url].

Edited by BigRedX

I was devastated the day I put the first ding on my P-Lyte (at that point, the first 'proper' bass I'd owned). It was only on closer examination that I discovered there were half a dozen other minor dings and scuffs already in existence, and so became considerably more ambivalent about it! I was still a bit miffed that it was the first obvious mark on the front of the body, though.

Heart-wrenching though it is, it all adds character!

[quote name='alittlebitrobot' timestamp='1384190591' post='2273759']
[/quote]

Yes. Managed to chip a tiny bit of paint when adjusting pickup height on my Custom P. You get over it. ;)