Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Forget Me Nots pretty much note for note...

Jah Wibble

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1383481243' post='2264829']
I heard Alphonso Johnson talking about this once. He said he'd met several players who killed it when playing to a pre-recorded backing track on headphones in their bedroom / studio but had zero feel for dynamics in a live band environment.

I've come across this a couple of times personally. We auditioned a singer once who had an agency, recording contract, released a single, performed 'live' on many occasions, and to big audiences too.

We started the first song and he was badly off key but, even worse, not even close to being able to keep time. It turned out that in his entire singing 'career' he'd never played with a live band and he simply couldn't handle all the stuff that comes with it. He could hear himself OK but all the band 'input' and dynamics of a live kit etc totally freaked him.

Tried another song and had to give up half way through. Poor guy was distraught :(

His agent was actually the one telling him he needed to get out with a live band and to stop just using pre-recorded backing in order to become a better singer. Sounds like he knew what he was on about!

I also know an absolute wizard of a guitarist. He can shred like a monster and can play all the Vai, Satriani, Malmsteen, Van Halen etc. etc stuff. He can tap and sweep pick and has an amazing depth of tone. He's got a web site where he gives advice to people and has loads of views to his YT channel but he never, ever plays with other musicians.

I think there's just a modern phenomena of 'YouTube bedroom bassists' (Alphonso's phrase) that just have little interest playing with a band. To me it seems a shame because playing alongside other people is what makes it all worth it but I can see the attraction of spending hours practicing to record the perfect take for YT and then publishing it - probably gets a wider audience than many a gigging bassist :(
[/quote]

Agree completely. But I also think some really fine musicians on YT get a bad rap because people assume they're just "bedroom bassists." I guess YT is a good way to showcase ONE talent. Unless you're one of these guys. (Who play all the instruments themselves). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6gE46WPpPY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dchDv-6tOOM

[quote name='nottswarwick' timestamp='1383393018' post='2263949']
[media]http://youtu.be/ftQFj7LnaRQ[/media]

I just did a quick version on my P with flats on it to show the difference in tone.
[/quote]

Nice. Right up to the last bit where you tried to grab my sandwich... :(

Lot of mean spirited comments here. I seriously doubt anyone who nailed a bass line on YT could take that onstage with the band themselves at short notice and give a good account of themselves. Nerves aside there are loads of other considerations here. Hell even bands themselves rehearse their OWN music for weeks before going on a tour. Hats off to that young lady. Beautiful and beautifully played especially as she has been playing bass for about THREE YEARS.

[quote name='norvegicusbass' timestamp='1383486130' post='2264893']
Lot of mean spirited comments here. I seriously doubt anyone who nailed a bass line on YT could take that onstage with the band themselves at short notice and give a good account of themselves. Nerves aside there are loads of other considerations here. Hell even bands themselves rehearse their OWN music for weeks before going on a tour. Hats off to that young lady. Beautiful and beautifully played especially as she has been playing bass for about THREE YEARS.
[/quote]
+1

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1383495693' post='2265024']
Yep, why do we have to find a negative?
[/quote]

because people asked

and because that is life

full of positives and negatives dontchaknow

not that it should warrant being unconstructive or unhelpful of course

Edited by steve-bbb

And because music is a cruel world... as she may well have found out herself.
If she did indeed get bounced at soundcheck, then that is the way the music industry can be... you can either cut it at the level you are playiing at or you can't.
Its that simple....
I doubt there are many here who haven't found that out themselves in some form or another.

Lot of mean spirited comments here. I seriously doubt anyone who nailed a bass line on YT could take that onstage with the band themselves at short notice and give a good account of themselves. Nerves aside there are loads of other considerations here. Hell even bands themselves rehearse their OWN music for weeks before going on a tour. Hats off to that young lady. Beautiful and beautifully played especially as [b]she has been playing bass for about THREE YEARS.[/b]
[/quote]

Bingo. That sums it up. Today there are enough tools available these days that someone can learn certain skills very quickly if they put in enough practice. But there's something to be said about experience. Do a thousands gigs and you start to learn how to deal with the multitude of distractions that don't occur in your living room when making a vid.

I'm at the point where a herd of elephants can stampede the stage and I'm going to hit the downbeat.

This girl , obviously, isn't there yet. She would need rehearsal and a bunch of gigs under her belt and she'll still be young and probably be fine after that. BUT... you never know.

Edited by Lowender

[/quote]

I don't think this thread has been overly negative?

One person said that her YT videos had got her a gig with Jamiroquai which wasn't correct. That particular story has been stated as fact a few times and it isn't correct. She did have an opportunity to play on a couple of numbers but wasn't able to play well enough to meet their standards. This is entirely understandable because she doesn't appear to be a live gigging player.

There's also been discussion about the new(ish) wave of young musicians who don't ever play live and just like to record vid of them playing along to something else. Again, I don't think anyone has been particularly negative about this but have just said that it might be a shame not to experience this opportunity and that it can teach a lot of things that can't be learnt playing solo to backing tracks.

The thing that surprises me is just how much coverage this particular player has received. It does make me wonder if there'd be anywhere near as much interest if the player was an overweight, unattractive bloke . . .

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1383503192' post='2265170']

It does make me wonder if there'd be anywhere near as much interest if the player was an overweight, unattractive bloke . . .
[/quote]

Haha yeah I totally agree there . Would Stuart Zender have given Rodney Biggleswade, taxi driver from Barnsley a free Warwick for being able to adequately play a few of their numbers? I doubt it!

[quote name='Greggo' timestamp='1383503583' post='2265177']
Haha yeah I totally agree there . Would Stuart Zender have given Rodney Biggleswade, taxi driver from Barnsley a free Warwick for being able to adequately play a few of their numbers? I doubt it!
[/quote]

+1 Can't blame 'em though..

[quote name='Greggo' timestamp='1383503583' post='2265177']
[/quote]

not unless he had a cracking rack :ph34r:

[quote name='Greggo' timestamp='1383503941' post='2265185']
We're all a sucker for a pretty face ;) where's she from anyway? I don't think she's from UK is she?
[/quote]

According to her YT she comes from Catalonia but now lives in London. So Spain :)

Lets hope that if is this young lady is reading this thread that she finds it more of a help than a hindrance. For sure she is pretty, but also a damn fine player, for someone who has been playing for just three years.
Although she may have not measured up in a live scenario with the great [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Jamiroquai, lets hope its onwards and upwards for her. It must have been a real challenge to fill the boots of Paul Turner. Rather her than me. [/font][/color]

I think this young woman is a fine player in these videos and I wish her every success, but it's also a perfectly valid observation that there is a [u]huge [/u]difference to playing at home in your bedroom to playing in front of an audience , even in the most modest of venues. . I had to learn that the hard way , and sounds like she has, too. The good news is that if she is struggling with that at the moment , all she probablyl needs is a bit more experience.

Once again though , what I can't understand is why as soon as a moderately attractive woman picks up a bass she is immidiately feted as a sex symbol . I am genuinely interested if people would be so enamoured if she worked on the fish counter at Tescos. Do men[i] really [/i]crave someone who shares the same interests as themselves? Maybe I have high standards, but I wouldn't look twice at this girl . It is a very nice bass, though, so plenty of eye candy there. .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1383519067' post='2265496']
I think this young woman is a fine player in these videos and I wish her every success, but it's also a perfectly valid observation that there is a [u]huge [/u]difference to playing at home in your bedroom to playing in front of an audience , even in the most modest of venues. . I had to learn that the hard way , and sounds like she has, too. The good news is that if she is struggling with that at the moment , all she probablyl needs is a bit more experience.

Once again though , what I can't understand is why as soon as a moderately attractive woman picks up a bass she is immidiately feted as a sex symbol . I am genuinely interested if people would be so enamoured if she worked on the fish counter at Tescos. Do men[i] really [/i]crave someone who shares the same interests as themselves? Maybe I have high standards, but I wouldn't look twice at this girl . It is a very nice bass, though, so plenty of eye candy there. .
[/quote]

I actually don't think it has anything to do with playing the bass per sae. It's just that playing the bass, for the most part, is a gents game, so when an attractive women comes into the mix, suddenly the focus changes gears -- simply for the fact that now we're thinking about an attractive woman! And if she's a good player, there's an element of respect that goes along with it and that is sexy.

I wonder if she had been given a few weeks to rehearse with [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Jamiroquai how she would have performed. I have a suspicion she would have faired rather well. I bet [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Jamiroquai [/font][/color]themselves had as much time as needed to rehearse before the tour.