Why become a member? ×

When to say 'We're ready to gig'

Sarah5string

Many moons ago I played in a wonderful band ruined by the lead guiarist (and 50% songwriter) saying "were not ready, were not ready..." of course, if I'd realised that 90 minutes of our own material was more than enough...

Like everyone else says, if you have 30-45 minutes of material just get on with it, nothing will improve you faster !

Edited by Chop

[quote name='cheddatom' post='225152' date='Jun 23 2008, 04:38 PM']They don't listen to radio 1 do they?

Sorry, OT I know, but our warehouse guy at work has it on all day, and I keep hearing the same 5 f*ckin' songs over and over.[/quote]

You want to try commercial radio. Not just the same 5 songs, but the same adverts as well.

I believe it's all to do with PRS fees as mentioned in other threads. The less variety in playlist, the less time they have to spend logging what they've played.

I'm so glad that James Blunt's "Beautiful" seems to have rotated off the playlists. It was a nice song when I heard it the first 10 times.....

[quote name='Chop' post='225171' date='Jun 23 2008, 04:52 PM']Many moons ago I played in a wonderful band ruined by the lead guiarist (and 50% songwriter) saying [size=4][b]"were not ready, were not ready..."[/b][/size] of course, if I'd realised that 90 minutes of our own material was more than enough...

Like everyone else says, if you have 30-45 minutes of material just get on with it, nothing will improve you faster ![/quote]

Was he from Birmingham then?

Please... somebody get my humour :)

[quote name='jakesbass' post='225088' date='Jun 23 2008, 03:33 PM']I can't believe how irresponsible this statement is, It has been made clear in numerous threads here a number of times that artisitic integrity [i][b]is[/b][/i] a matter of life and death. Show some responsibility, please :huh:[/quote]

You're quite right Jake.

I unreservedly withdraw my earlier comments and will duly dress in sackcloth and ashed until such time as I have made good for my disgraceful lack of personal, professional and musical integrity.

What the [b]HELL[/b] was I thinking of? :) :huh:

Don't tell the guitarists until your band's name is on the publicity for the gig. Then it'll be more embarrassing for them to back out of playing then it will to make a couple of mistakes on the night.

IMO you're ready to do a support slot at the average pub gig when your band can get through a whole 30-45 minute set at rehearsal without anyone saying "how does this one go?" before starting a song!

Go for it! And a full report in the gig review thread afterwards.

Amen to the above. Just go for it. The main reason for me is that no matter how well rehearsed you are the gig is always different. Variables enter teh equation and it's how you deal with them that makes you a better band.

In the prac pad everything is the way you know it - the volume, the physical position, the tone, the ambience, etc. You get used to that. You also have time to fix that annoying thing that keeps happening with X bit of gear. On the stage everything changes - the volume, the physical position, the tone, the ambience, and now you have to fix X bit of gear whilst your band is losing monentum with the audinence. The ONLY way to deal with these things is to do it on the gig.

And it doesn't matter how long you've been playing together. I've been involved in shows that have decades of combined experience at all levels of playing and it still takes a few shows to iron out the kinks.

Be evil. Book the shows, tell them later. If they refuse, get another band.

My band has our first gig coming up at the end of august... coincides with reading and leeds festial i believe (BASTARDS), we're not really ready for it yet as we haven't been able to practice all that much recently with festivals and whatnot and we don't know all the songs, but we have a set list worked out so we just need to get it learnt (eaaasy) and we'll be rockin'! but after this week i think we should be able to buckle down and be ready for it by then. I'm rather looking forward to it and it should be the first of many because our guitarist/singer does gig promotion so he can get us no end of gigs.

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='225459' date='Jun 23 2008, 10:38 PM']Latest in the saga... guitarist 1 has full out refused to play it or anything between now and the end of august...

*rolls eyes*[/quote]

tell them you'll play without them.

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='225459' date='Jun 23 2008, 10:38 PM']Latest in the saga... guitarist 1 has full out refused to play it or anything between now and the end of august...

*rolls eyes*[/quote]

Normal reaction from a guitarist :)

[quote name='ahpook' post='225510' date='Jun 23 2008, 11:25 PM']tell them you'll play without them.[/quote]

+1

Then rehearse your set without him.

Make sure you rehearse well and for a [i]gig performance[/i] not to learn the songs, that's different.

Include the set intro, "last" song ending, encore and talky bits (minimise these). Choose your strongest 25 minutes and focus on it from now 'til then. Record and/or video your dress rehearsals and change the things that don't work.

Set up in your rehearsal space as if it was a gig stage ie the front person performs [i]away[/i] from the drummer and rest of the band, not facing them. That way you'll have to have cues other than eye contact. Your front person, at least, should be looking at the audience and not the other band members.

Time your set accurately so you have time for the encore you will get (as you'll be taking 20 mates to cheers their heads off and to demand an encore, won't you?). Have at least one song in teh set you can drop if you start late but have to finish on time. Play the "last" tune well before your scheduled end time to leave time for the encore. Have a strong song for the encore. That's the lasting impression people will take away with them.

Take 3 tunes out to an open mic night beforehand to see what it feels like.

And make sure you have fun ...

:)

[quote name='OldGit' post='225548' date='Jun 24 2008, 12:40 AM']+1

Then rehearse your set without him.

Make sure you rehearse well and for a [i]gig performance[/i] not to learn the songs, that's different.

Include the set intro, "last" song ending, encore and talky bits (minimise these). Choose your strongest 25 minutes and focus on it from now 'til then. Record and/or video your dress rehearsals and change the things that don't work.

Set up in your rehearsal space as if it was a gig stage ie the front person performs [i]away[/i] from the drummer and rest of the band, not facing them. That way you'll have to have cues other than eye contact. Your front person, at least, should be looking at the audience and not the other band members.

Time your set accurately so you have time for the encore you will get (as you'll be taking 20 mates to cheers their heads off and to demand an encore, won't you?). Have at least one song in teh set you can drop if you start late but have to finish on time. Play the "last" tune well before your scheduled end time to leave time for the encore. Have a strong song for the encore. That's the lasting impression people will take away with them.

Take 3 tunes out to an open mic night beforehand to see what it feels like.

And make sure you have fun ...

:)[/quote]

+1

Sound advice, we do this also and it works well. There's no substitute for playing the songs live though. We played Mercy by Duffy at Sunday's gig after two run throughs at soundcheck having never played it together before. It wasn't perfect but we placed it mid-first set and it went down well. Next time we play it, we'll do it perfectly.

Tell you what.. wish I hadn't bothered trying to sort something out.. all it's done is upset the apple cart with the 2 guitarists now hardly speaking to me (it seems) and the rest of us who do want to gig kind of just shrugging our shoulders and saying 'wtf??'

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='225637' date='Jun 24 2008, 09:07 AM']Tell you what.. wish I hadn't bothered trying to sort something out.. all it's done is upset the apple cart with the 2 guitarists now hardly speaking to me (it seems) and the rest of us who do want to gig kind of just shrugging our shoulders and saying 'wtf??'[/quote]

Guitar players are big nancys',....they need a firm hand :)

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='225637' date='Jun 24 2008, 09:07 AM']Tell you what.. wish I hadn't bothered trying to sort something out.. all it's done is upset the apple cart with the 2 guitarists now hardly speaking to me (it seems) and the rest of us who do want to gig kind of just shrugging our shoulders and saying 'wtf??'[/quote]

Sarah, just read through the thread, what a nightmare! A friend of mine pointed me in the way of this site: www.partysounds.co.uk as we're trying to recruit a new guitarist.

Maybe you could try giving them a bit of a hug or some pie, or at least see if they will let you video the rehersal (as mentioned above), that way they may actually see they are ready. Hope it works out for you!!

Why are guitarists so precious??? Reason Number 389 for playing the Bass!

The sooner you get rid of them, the better. If you find decent replacements quickly, you could still be playing a gig that summer. Find a very good replacement very quickly and you could still play that gig at the end of July. The aforementioned guitarist in my first band was seriously ill before our third gig so we got a mate to fill in and he learned the songs with just one day's notice and even took a solo! Oh, I miss those days. :) Does nobody else wanna form a sh*t band?

*rolls eyes*[/quote]

Tell the guy to grow a pair! :)

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='224828' date='Jun 23 2008, 11:07 AM']" we've not got enough songs, they're not tight enough "[/quote]

So what is the problem?

and do you mean that one guitarist won't play gigs or rehearse before the end of August? If he's not got a very good reason I'd say that was a resignation ...

Just another thought: the drummer is often the key to being gig-tight. Bands are often spolied by drummers faffing about between tunes, waiting for others to be ready etc .. Just go ta-da!!!... at the end of one song and then count in the next one. That way your guitarists can relax and build on the foundations you are providing.