Why become a member? ×

When to say 'We're ready to gig'

Sarah5string

[quote name='OldGit' post='225858' date='Jun 24 2008, 01:34 PM']So what is the problem?

and do you mean that one guitarist won't play gigs or rehearse before the end of August? If he's not got a very good reason I'd say that was a resignation ...

Just another thought: the drummer is often the key to being gig-tight. Bands are often spolied by drummers faffing about between tunes, waiting for others to be ready etc .. Just go ta-da!!!... at the end of one song and then count in the next one. That way your guitarists can relax and build on the foundations you are providing.[/quote]
The problem is 3 of us think we'll be ready, the other 2 don't and refuse to play gigs until they feel 'ready'.
The drummer is confident we'll do it, as are me (bassist) and the singer. It's literally the 2 guitarists.

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='225889' date='Jun 24 2008, 02:04 PM']The problem is 3 of us think we'll be ready, the other 2 don't and refuse to play gigs until they feel 'ready'.
The drummer is confident we'll do it, as are me (bassist) and the singer. It's literally the 2 guitarists.[/quote]

Yeah I got that :)
But what specifically do they think is the problem, what is not ready?
Once your identify that you can fix it.

[quote name='OldGit' post='225899' date='Jun 24 2008, 02:14 PM']Yeah I got that :)
But what specifically do they think is the problem, what is not ready?
Once your identify that you can fix it.[/quote]
Well they think we're rubbish and will get laughed off stage. It's ridiculous as they're not seeing any further than 'we're rough on some of the covers' and won't think objectively about what can be achieved with a bit of hard work.

You may well be rubbish in their eyes - they could be absolute perfectionists! Tell them that you understand, but that gigging is the only way to get tight!

Also, they must realise that getting up on stage is going to take some balls. If they manage to handle gigging regularly, they can handle making a couple of mistakes.

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='225912' date='Jun 24 2008, 02:36 PM']For the record when we play well we're really good... so it's not as if we're one of these s**t poser bands who think they're the next metallica... but it seems that they don't have any faith in what we/they can do![/quote]

It's all subjective! When I play with the premature ejaculators, some people in the audience think we're amazing, but they're watching the perfrmance. The singer thinks he's the dog's dooberies, the guitarist knows he's good, but recognises that we're not exactly tight, especially when i'm p*ssed. The bassist thinks we're great but says when he's had a crap gig. I think i'm a pretty crap drummer, and I drag the gig down to a certain degree.

It may not matter what they think of the band, it matters what the audience think, but to them it's obviously going to make a difference and I think you can accept that they think you're a crap band, whilst still being as enthusiastic/committed/whatever as the rest of the band.

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='225912' date='Jun 24 2008, 02:36 PM']For the record when we play well we're really good... so it's not as if we're one of these s**t poser bands who think they're the next metallica... but it seems that they don't have any faith in what we/they can do![/quote]

"If you haven't failed, you haven't lived."
Not that you will fail.
"The man who fears suffering is already suffering what he fears."

These sayings are f***ing great, only problem is, the only people who think they're any good wouldn't fall foul of the problems in the first place.

If it's belief in their own abilities they're lacking then you've got problems. The only way round it is to start gigging, and if they won't do that they (and the band) are stuffed.

If they think you're going to set the world on fire from gig 1 by being perfectly tight, then they're sadly mistaken. What's going to take the band anywhere is being enthusiastic and entertaining live - your guitarists are clearly lacking on the first count and can't hope to get good on the second without getting on stage. Lots.

I've heard stacks of bands who've been rough as hell in the early days - Franz Ferdinand, Bloc Party, U2 were all pretty shambolic. And listen to Led Zep at the height of Page's powers and listen to the mistakes, even on record. Which was probably why their fanzine was called Tight But Loose.

I'd make this a deal breaker - do the gig or you'll consider it their resignation. Hopefully at least one will stay, but there doesn't seem any point in wasting more time with them. Life's too short.

[quote name='jakesbass' post='225928' date='Jun 24 2008, 02:58 PM']Do you wear waterproofs?

sorry...
I'll get me coat[/quote]

1 a cheesy but amusing joke
2 a hint at a let down....
3 an awesome pun!

Jake - Where did you buy your intellect, and can I borrow some money?

[quote name='BigRedX' post='225348' date='Jun 23 2008, 08:35 PM']Don't tell the guitarists until your band's name is on the publicity for the gig. Then it'll be more embarrassing for them to back out of playing then it will to make a couple of mistakes on the night.

IMO you're ready to do a support slot at the average pub gig when your band can get through a whole 30-45 minute set at rehearsal without anyone saying "how does this one go?" before starting a song!

Go for it! And a full report in the gig review thread afterwards.[/quote]

our guitarist can be over nervous but tend to play really well live
getting up there and doing it is the whole point of doing the practice, and like has already been said gives you a goal to work to rather than just faffing about. (not saying you are just doing that)

as for asking "how does this one go?" we've been going for about 2 years now and occasionally we do that, well at least the guitarists do, so there you go, they're all the same :)

just tell to do it or you'll get someone who can be arsed, that should give em the kick that they need, if they decide to leave then they weren't up to it anyway.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='224836' date='Jun 23 2008, 11:13 AM']You can rehearse till the moo moos come home but to be honest nothing tightens up a band like a gig (or even the impending deadline of a gig).[/quote]
Yup go for it.

We've been working on a load of new songs to freshen up a set we have been playing for toooooo long, with the plan to play all at least once live - I fear one is just not going to make it. However all bar two (including the one in ICU) have made it so far and stayed.

So last week we played the last one again at rehearsal & tidied up another that came out of the woodwork recently. Decided we'll do both at the start of the set when it'll probably be a bit quieter and won't matter. Got to the gig. Neither were on the set list & drummer vetoed the very newest one. Got to the end of the first set & as we finished the last one on the list the guitarist & I had a conflab & decided " S0dit why not go for the G'n'R one now".

We did it, it went well, sounded better than at r/h, not such a bash, and went down really well :)

So find yourself some mates to support with your set, or even just find a jam night & get up to do the tightest couple. You know it makes sense and it will throw a whole new light on the stuff. And if the worst should come to pass & it turns to a horrible nightmare, well treat it as experience, don't let it tear you up, and don't do what I do & mull over things that everyone else has forgotten, and happened before you were born :huh:

Sorry just realised this has probably already been said. I read down the first page & hit reply [url="http://planetsmilies.net"][/url]

Latest in the saga... the venue have now offered us either fri the 29th or sat the 30th, support or headlining (Holy crap.. headlining??? We've not done one gig yet... but I digress..). Now to me this seems like a prime opportunity especially as it's a fri or saturday night at a well know city, 200 capacity, rock/music pub... we've got 8 practices at least (we normally do one a week) in which to get a 1/2 hr set tight. Have texted the guitarist who flat out refused as the other is at glastonbury... will keep you updated.

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='227236' date='Jun 26 2008, 11:49 AM']Latest in the saga... the venue have now offered us either fri the 29th or sat the 30th, support or headlining (Holy crap.. headlining??? We've not done one gig yet... but I digress..). Now to me this seems like a prime opportunity especially as it's a fri or saturday night at a well know city, 200 capacity, rock/music pub... we've got 8 practices at least (we normally do one a week) in which to get a 1/2 hr set tight. Have texted the guitarist who flat out refused as the other is at glastonbury... will keep you updated.[/quote]
Tell him not to be such an @rse.

Like you say you have 8 rehearsals to get together a really tight set. Whats the problem!?

[quote name='OldGit' post='227360' date='Jun 26 2008, 02:03 PM']Do I hear "musical Differences" creeping up here?
Some people really love rehearsing and don't like playing in front of a real live audience ...[/quote]
Sounds more like a puckered ring :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='227323' date='Jun 26 2008, 01:05 PM']I reckon 30 mins of bass, drums and vocals would be pretty good, with the right tune choices :)[/quote]

Yeah, get all ESG on their asses!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBq_sv9N-gk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBq_sv9N-gk[/url]

Edited by Cantdosleepy

Well this bass + drums duo come and do a spot at the jam sesh I go to .. fine for 10 minutes.. add vocals and I'm sure 30 mins would be good ...
May take a bit of work though :)
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZV1gncAOFc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZV1gncAOFc[/url]