Why become a member? ×

When to say 'We're ready to gig'

Sarah5string

Our band has been together about a year but we've only had the current line up for about 4 months. We've got 2 of our own songs and a mix of covers.
Me, the drummer and singer are all really keen to gig, the sooner the better but the guitarists have both been saying we're not ready, we've not got enough songs, they're not tight enough etc etc etc etc for what seems like ages. When we play well we're really tight and sound great (Yes I'm biased lol) and I'm confident that if we all put the effort in we could have a decent 1/2 hr mix of our own stuff and some covers by early august...
What do you guys think? When were you 'ready' to gig... or did you just dive in head first?

I'd say just go for it..... you and your band mate will gain alot from playing live. It's very different from rehearsing and bedroom playing. You'll all gain a lot of experience from playing live and it will also boost the confidence of those that are not feeling quite there yet.

J

[quote name='crez5150' post='224831' date='Jun 23 2008, 11:09 AM']I'd say just go for it..... you and your band mate will gain alot from playing live. It's very different from rehearsing and bedroom playing. You'll all gain a lot of experience from playing live and it will also boost the confidence of those that are not feeling quite there yet.

J[/quote]
Thanks... this is what I'm trying to tell them. The only way we're going to get good enough is to put the effort in but at the mo we've got no reason to work other than playing for fun... so the way I see it is we'll MAKE ourselves ready..

Edited by Sarah5string

You can rehearse till the moo moos come home but to be honest nothing tightens up a band like a gig (or even the impending deadline of a gig).

I was involved with a band for a while that wouldn't gig until everything was perfect... unfortunately they had me playing bass so that wasn't going to happen :) In all seriousness though, they wanted everything perfect however we live in an imperfect world and there will always be a reason why one person or another isn't happy with either their part, a song/structure/timbre. You'd never get anything done!

I say go for it now; ready or not :huh:

[quote name='crez5150' post='224831' date='Jun 23 2008, 11:09 AM']I'd say just go for it..... you and your band mate will gain alot from playing live. It's very different from rehearsing and bedroom playing. You'll all gain a lot of experience from playing live and it will also boost the confidence of those that are not feeling quite there yet.

J[/quote]

+1

Thanks. :) We're actually looking at the possibilty of a gig in the near future (I've told them early august and am awaiting dates.) which is where this has all come about. I think I'll just get it booked and then tell them to turn up with their gear or face a kick to the balls... lol!

Just go & book a gig - don't ask - or even tell - the rest of the band until the date's confirmed. Make it a month or so away, August would be fine if you did it now. The vacillating contingent of your band will have no choice but to rise to the occasion, you may possibly not be flavour of the month for a little while - but they'll get over it! :)

Jon.

nowt galvanises a band faster than an impeding gig*

book it for a months time, and then practise the set till then.

you're not a band until you've played a gig !

[size=1]*other than dipping them in hot zinc that is[/size]

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='ahpook' post='224915' date='Jun 23 2008, 12:08 PM']nowt galvanises a band into getting ready to gig than an impeding gig*

book it for a months time, and then practise the set till then.

you're not a band until you've played a gig !

[size=1]other than dipping them in hot zinc that is[/size][/quote]

You must do a gig. I'm lucky in that I have balls of steel and am brave in terms of just going for it so we do lots of scary gigs with often a scratch band (and I'm a rubbish bass player!). Basically once you are on stage 'the force' takes over and everything works out well.

Practicing to get things 100% is a bit like trying to fix everything on your car before you take it for the MOT test. The MOT tester mite still find something you missed anyway, so you may as well just send it for MOT and then at least you will get an accurate list of thing to fix. A gig will reassure you in some areas, and identify weak areas.

Nobody dies! Ye haaaaaaa! :)

It's also good practice to book the gigs.

IMHO, the hardest part of being in a band in having members who are prepared to put in all the extra work required to chase down and find you regular gigs (unless you're good enough to have a manager or agent!)

I get away with it in our band, as I'm the one who often drives the most and gets PA's/technical stuff when required. For that, they let me off chasing gigs, but if I spot a golden opportunity, I'll help out when I can.

Good luck, and enjoy it. The goal of most bands is to be tight and mistake free, but you only get there with regular gigging. We gig regularly and still haven't managed it!

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='224828' date='Jun 23 2008, 11:07 AM']When were you 'ready' to gig... or did you just dive in head first?[/quote]
You need 25 songs (for 2 x 45 min sets) and a good quality 3-track demo CD. Then you're good to go.

Or befriend a friendly pub landlord and get them to take you on half price for the first gig.

Know any other bands who want a support act? That's one way. A gentler inroad for you , esp if the other band don;t treat you like doggy do.

To do a full gig alone - you need enough material. There's no getting away from that - but include in that preperation some sort of schedule to do a gig.

There comes a point when if you practise,practise,practise...all you get good at is practising.

A gig is a whole new ball game. You will never know if you're ready for it unless you go do it. I can't say as firmly as some 'go at it headfirst' , esp to (I assume) inexperienced gigging musicians. You'll have an audience and you owe it to them to be prepared.

The point at which to go gig is when all of you feel prepared - if all of you can't reach that point it may be that the doubters are quite happy just to play in a cellar with their mates. Many people are and there's nothing wrong in it , but the rest of you may need to lose them in order to move on.

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='225030' date='Jun 23 2008, 02:05 PM']You need 25 songs (for 2 x 45 min sets) and a good quality 3-track demo CD. Then you're good to go.

Or befriend a friendly pub landlord and get them to take you on half price for the first gig.[/quote]

Or two songs and an open mic night.

1 gig = 100 rehearsals!

There is nothing like a bit of fear to ingrain those songs! In my experience gigging songs regulary is the only way to get them tight. Too much rehearshal can be counterproductive and sap the all the energy out of your performance.

When you write down your set list, write the chords next to the tracks. That will take a bit of the pressure off.

Paul.

The concept of being "ready" to gig is as whimsical as being able to "afford" to have children.

In reality, [b]neither ever happens[/b], but we all still do gigs and have kids, so what's that tell ya? :) :huh:

As I think someone has already said, this is music we're talking about here - nobody will die. :huh: :huh:

Edited by bassicinstinct

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='225061' date='Jun 23 2008, 02:46 PM']As I think someone has already said, this is music we're talking about here - nobody will die. :) :huh:[/quote]

I can't believe how irresponsible this statement is, It has been made clear in numerous threads here a number of times that artisitic integrity [i][b]is[/b][/i] a matter of life and death. Show some responsibility, please :huh:

[quote name='jakesbass' post='225088' date='Jun 23 2008, 03:33 PM']I can't believe how irresponsible this statement is, It has been made clear in numerous threads here a number of times that artisitic integrity [i][b]is[/b][/i] a matter of life and death. Show some responsibility, please :)[/quote]

It's sarcastic comments like this that make teenagers think it's OK to rip their artistic integrity to shreds and whore themselves to radio 1 on the back of one of the two latest fads in music. Don't be so irresponsible Jake!

[quote name='cheddatom' post='225118' date='Jun 23 2008, 04:02 PM']It's sarcastic comments like this that make teenagers think it's OK to rip their artistic integrity to shreds and whore themselves to radio 1 on the back of one of the two latest fads in music. Don't be so irresponsible Jake![/quote]
I've never been a good example to the youth, ask my kids!

[quote name='jakesbass' post='225136' date='Jun 23 2008, 04:29 PM']I've never been a good example to the youth, ask my kids![/quote]

They don't listen to radio 1 do they?

Sorry, OT I know, but our warehouse guy at work has it on all day, and I keep hearing the same 5 f*ckin' songs over and over.